British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Apple TV (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/apple-tv-774600/)

Brains1983 Oct 14th 2012 4:08 pm

Apple TV

Anyone got one?

I've got an ipad and 40GB of music in itunes on my PC.

Just wondered if it was worth getting one, or do we run into problems with regions (ie not being able to rent anything from itunes UK/US), etc, etc.

It came up on groupon for 399 which seemed reasonable (although that deal has now finished).

auzdafluff Oct 14th 2012 4:31 pm

Re: Apple TV

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 10330446)
Anyone got one?

I've got an ipad and 40GB of music in itunes on my PC.

Just wondered if it was worth getting one, or do we run into problems with regions (ie not being able to rent anything from itunes UK/US), etc, etc.

It came up on groupon for 399 which seemed reasonable (although that deal has now finished).

It's possible to mess with the DNS settings to access US Netflix apparently. Don't really have 400 dibs to waste on the off chance it works here though.

rowell Oct 14th 2012 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by auzdafluff (Post 10330464)
It's possible to mess with the DNS settings to access US Netflix apparently. Don't really have 400 dibs to waste on the off chance it works here though.

Not that I'm an IT buff but not managed to get likes of Netflix to work and films are so expensive and old via apple, mainly use it to mirror my iPad and connect likes of itv player without cables hanging around

Theseus Oct 14th 2012 4:37 pm

I have one and it works fine for renting on iTunes. don't ask me how I'm not sure what region its set up on. I can't do netflix so I think it is actually logged on as being in Doha, but the renting from the UK store is fine. I also use that thing where it gets all my music from the cloud etc.

I have had problems with it accessing my computer though it did work to start with so I might have messed something up in the settings and I haven't had time to work it out.

Bob Oct 14th 2012 7:47 pm

It's a bit poo, straight out of the box. The older ones can get firmware hacked to add a lot.

As for Netflix, you need a decent VPN that'll let you faff with the DNS, so that it auto switches per device, that way you can get it to give the AppleTV a US IP without bogging down the rest of the network.

There are other better media players for Netflix and movies though.

Dumbo Oct 15th 2012 4:18 am

Downloads work as long as you have a UK / US itunes account.

But the cost of rentals and purchases is very high. Its about a fiver to rent a recent HD movie for 24 hours, and more expensive to buy a movie over apple tv than it would be to go out and buy it from a shop.

It is most useful for playing stuff you already have on ipad, phone, laptop, etc. on the big screen, that works great.

TheShed Oct 15th 2012 4:20 am

I have one and it is great for streaming stuff from my iPad or using my MacBook to play films from my download library which the Samsung TV does not have direct Codecs to play.

To be honest, not sure why its on Groupon for 399 as I thought that was the normal price when I bought it a year or so ago.