British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Apple iphone 4 vs Blackberry Torch (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/apple-iphone-4-vs-blackberry-torch-704966/)

flood2 Feb 25th 2011 11:36 am

Re: Apple iphone 4 vs Blackberry Torch

Originally Posted by Purdey (Post 9200659)
If you want to be sure to get one I'd buy from Apple in the UK at £500 (less VAT refund if you qualify).
Emirates Avenue is almost £600.
Etisalat sell them at AED 500 + 250 a month for 12 months incl data, some calls and texts or around AED 2100 + 100 a month if you can find one - still in very short supply and without FaceTime if that's important to you.

Thanks, If I bring one from over from the UK is it expensive/difficult to get sim only deal?

Cheers

Purdey Feb 26th 2011 6:08 am

It's easy enough to get a micro sim card but make sure you get a data plan add on if you will be using data outside of wifi.

weasel central Feb 26th 2011 9:27 am

only saw this late, but seems like you made the right choice. iphone suffers from terrible reception too in my experience, frustratingly so in some cases.

flood2 Feb 26th 2011 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Purdey (Post 9202796)
It's easy enough to get a micro sim card but make sure you get a data plan add on if you will be using data outside of wifi.

Hi
Any idea how much the sim and monthly costs are? Can i buy straight away or do i have to wait on residency?

Victor Meldrew Feb 27th 2011 12:47 pm

I am having a few problems with the Blackberry Torch.

I don't use many apps, and close them down when not in use. I have the backlight on its dimmest and it turns of in 30 seconds.

I charge the battery every night.

Today it lasted about 7 hours and I hadnt used the phone at all (it was in my bag). Is this common? if so and it needs constant charging, how can it be called a mobile phone when it needs to be latched to an electricity supply!!:banghead:

Blue Cat Feb 27th 2011 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew (Post 9205079)
I am having a few problems with the Blackberry Torch.

I don't use many apps, and close them down when not in use. I have the backlight on its dimmest and it turns of in 30 seconds.

I charge the battery every night.

Today it lasted about 7 hours and I hadnt used the phone at all (it was in my bag). Is this common? if so and it needs constant charging, how can it be called a mobile phone when it needs to be latched to an electricity supply!!:banghead:

you got a data package?

Victor Meldrew Feb 27th 2011 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9205082)
you got a data package?

I have the 49 aed package with Etisalat (gives me BB messenger and social network - Faecesbook etc).

Blue Cat Feb 27th 2011 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew (Post 9205088)
I have the 49 aed package with Etisalat (gives me BB messenger and social network - Faecesbook etc).

be careful, my iphone was updating data I wasn't aware of until I got a 2000 dhs bill of them over over usage of data, this also drains the battery as well.

Victor Meldrew Feb 27th 2011 3:26 pm

Just worked it out (googled it actually, and also looked on the Blackberry website).

Green flashing LED indicating the strength of signal. Draining the battery. Simply went to options and turned it off.

Seems to have worked.:thumbsup: