Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Apple iphone 4 vs Blackberry Torch

Apple iphone 4 vs Blackberry Torch

Old Feb 11th 2011, 10:28 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Apple iphone 4 vs Blackberry Torch

After a bit of advice and people's opinions, particularly first hand experiences.

I am in the lucky situation of being able to choose between these 2 mobiles, but can't decide.

I have read all the reviews and been to the outlets to look at them.

I use mobile for calls and text, but also for the personal organiser, calendar, reminders, including alarm clocks, wi-fi internet to receive hotmail and social feeds (faecesbook and others).

I don't download music and don't play the games. I only occasionally use camera. I would rarely download documents etc but this isnt outside the realms of future possibility.

I like the idea of the Blackberry 'system' as my daughter in UK has a Bb as well as my 3 brothers in law. I particularly like the torches option of touch screen or swipe button system/qwerty board.

Although it is quite chunky and heavy I actually like the ergonomics of it.

I like the better picture quality of the apple, plus of course all of the above which I use on the Blackberry.

I also need an operating system which is easy to use and user friendly.

I had a Nokia E72 which was stolen from work last week and really liked that, which is why I am being swayed towards the Bb Torch for my next one. However the newer higher quality touchscreen smartphones seem really slick

What would people suggest - or even other alternatives?

Thanks.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Apple iphone 4 vs Blackberry Torch

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
After a bit of advice and people's opinions, particularly first hand experiences.

I am in the lucky situation of being able to choose between these 2 mobiles, but can't decide.

I have read all the reviews and been to the outlets to look at them.

I use mobile for calls and text, but also for the personal organiser, calendar, reminders, including alarm clocks, wi-fi internet to receive hotmail and social feeds (faecesbook and others).

I don't download music and don't play the games. I only occasionally use camera. I would rarely download documents etc but this isnt outside the realms of future possibility.

I like the idea of the Blackberry 'system' as my daughter in UK has a Bb as well as my 3 brothers in law. I particularly like the torches option of touch screen or swipe button system/qwerty board.

Although it is quite chunky and heavy I actually like the ergonomics of it.

I like the better picture quality of the apple, plus of course all of the above which I use on the Blackberry.

I also need an operating system which is easy to use and user friendly.

I had a Nokia E72 which was stolen from work last week and really liked that, which is why I am being swayed towards the Bb Torch for my next one. However the newer higher quality touchscreen smartphones seem really slick

What would people suggest - or even other alternatives?

Thanks.
Both are good.

Blackberry is a good barebones phone for business users.

iPhone is a fun phone for people who want lots of media and game options.

From the sounds of the above you want a Torch.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Purdey is on a distinguished road

I had the same dilemma last October and went for the iP4 after using BB's for 3 years.
You don't mention email (other than Hotmail) which is the BB really strong point although I find the iphone email better in that you can schedule to receive mail every 30 or 60 mins etc instead of it constantly arriving like on BB and disturbing you.
In short, the BB is like going back in time after using an iP4 - I'm referring to a Bold 9000 not the Torch which may be better.
Apps are MUCH better on iP4 and you can't even access BB App World in UAE - useless.
If you are entering a lot of text (email, sms, chat etc) I'd go for the BB, otherwise iP4. The virtual keyboard takes some getting used to and the infamous Apple spell correction can be a right pain. The BBM alternative WhatsApp is cross platform and nearly as good as BBM.
Alternative would be Android but I haven't used it so can't advise.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still using my E72 !!

Don't know that much about BB's and iP's - but Android might be a good option. THe handset I was seriously looking at was the Nexus S. Don't know if it's available where you are, at the moment in the UK, it's only at Carphone Warehouse.

BBM is of course a huge selling point, some it's still limited in some regions.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 5:07 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Purdey
I had the same dilemma last October and went for the iP4 after using BB's for 3 years.
You don't mention email (other than Hotmail) which is the BB really strong point although I find the iphone email better in that you can schedule to receive mail every 30 or 60 mins etc instead of it constantly arriving like on BB and disturbing you.
In short, the BB is like going back in time after using an iP4 - I'm referring to a Bold 9000 not the Torch which may be better.
Apps are MUCH better on iP4 and you can't even access BB App World in UAE - useless.If you are entering a lot of text (email, sms, chat etc) I'd go for the BB, otherwise iP4. The virtual keyboard takes some getting used to and the infamous Apple spell correction can be a right pain. The BBM alternative WhatsApp is cross platform and nearly as good as BBM.
Alternative would be Android but I haven't used it so can't advise.
If you download a Blackberry app in UK for example, can it be accessed and used in UAE?
Old Feb 11th 2011, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

If you download a Blackberry app in UK for example, can it be accessed and used in UAE?
You can. But BBs aren't really about the apps.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

Yes, but you would require a BB data plan in the UK to access the app store and then another data plan here to use the thing. You can get a BB data plan from Orange in the UK for £5 a month on PAYG.
However, in my experience, you can't just swap SIM cards in and out of BB's as the PIN number needs to be registered to the network. Data plans here are crazy expensive but if your company is paying then no problem.
You also need a data plan for iPhone if you want to use it for data outside of wifi. You may also have a problem actually finding one to buy in Dubai as they are in very short supply, for the official ones at least.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 11:00 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

I think it will have to be the torch.

Thanks for all your help and info.

I'm off to Jumbo tomorrow, DSF offer includes bluetooth, additional memory card, phone holder and a 100 aed Jumbo voucher.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 9:37 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

I think it will have to be the torch.

Thanks for all your help and info.

I'm off to Jumbo tomorrow, DSF offer includes bluetooth, additional memory card, phone holder and a 100 aed Jumbo voucher.
Went and bought it (Crackberry Torch) yesterday (too late for the 100 aed voucher though!)

Jumbo staff were surprisingly crap in their attitude. They have always been great before.

Anyway I love it already.

However, it doesnt have Blackberry Maps on the menu pop up. Does this mean it isnt installed? should it be pre-installed?

All of the websites, forums etc I am checking on, seem to say so.

I haven't got the Etisalat Blackberry package yet. Does this make a difference to whether Maps are on?
Old Feb 17th 2011, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Went and bought it (Crackberry Torch) yesterday (too late for the 100 aed voucher though!)

Jumbo staff were surprisingly crap in their attitude. They have always been great before.

Anyway I love it already.

However, it doesnt have Blackberry Maps on the menu pop up. Does this mean it isnt installed? should it be pre-installed?

All of the websites, forums etc I am checking on, seem to say so.

I haven't got the Etisalat Blackberry package yet. Does this make a difference to whether Maps are on?
BB maps is useless outside America.

Get Google Maps.
I don't have a direct link but I found it easily on... Google.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 3:52 am
Forum Regular

Agree BB Maps is rubbish - get Google Maps.

BTW, a BB is crippled without a data plan and that could be why maps isn't there - it should be part of the OS. But none of the BB apps like BBM, email, FB, Twitter etc etc will work without a data plan.

You can use internet and Google stuff with the APN enabled but be prepared for large data charges without a plan.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

flood2 will become famous soon enoughflood2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Purdey
You may also have a problem actually finding one to buy in Dubai as they are in very short supply, for the official ones at least.
Hi, Are you saying that the iphone 4 is in short supply? I was looking at buying one when I came out (and got my visa stamped), Will this not be possible do you think? I will be based in Al Ain.

cheers
Old Feb 25th 2011, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Ask Etisalat, and I'm sure you'll get one.

Worst case you can buy from the greymarket aka Satwa.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 5:37 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flood2
Hi, Are you saying that the iphone 4 is in short supply? I was looking at buying one when I came out (and got my visa stamped), Will this not be possible do you think? I will be based in Al Ain.

cheers
you can order on line from emiratesavenue.com and get one delivered, we got ours via them
Old Feb 25th 2011, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by flood2

cheers
If you want to be sure to get one I'd buy from Apple in the UK at £500 (less VAT refund if you qualify).
Emirates Avenue is almost £600.
Etisalat sell them at AED 500 + 250 a month for 12 months incl data, some calls and texts or around AED 2100 + 100 a month if you can find one - still in very short supply and without FaceTime if that's important to you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.