Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Anyone work for Emirates?

Anyone work for Emirates?

Old Jun 6th 2008, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

Daz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to all
Default Re: Anyone work for Emirates?

I was offered a job (grade 9) but to be honest the money really wasn't so good, even when you take into account the entire package.

Net value of the package meant I was only marginally better off, my g/f wouldn't have a job for anumber of months until we found her one, moving to Dubai, living on a building site and no real career advancement (apart from having EK on my CV).

Don't get me wrong, it would be great to work for EK - particularly with all the stuff that is happening it IT in the airline industry right now. But it just wasn't attractive enough for me.

I now have a job in Oman (involved in the new aiport builds at Seeb and Salalah) and will be moving there in August
Old Jun 6th 2008, 1:50 pm
jia
Forum Regular

jia is an unknown quantity at this point

he has been offered grade 9
Old Jun 6th 2008, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

Daz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to all

Don't get your hopes up....I was offered AED basic salary 16500 (as a best and final offer - you don't even want to ask what the original was!).

On top of that was 3 bed apartment / utilities / medical etc
Old Jun 6th 2008, 2:47 pm
jia
Forum Regular

jia is an unknown quantity at this point

that is exactly what he has been offered plus i education as we have a 7 yr old son ,i am attaching my other post for ur kind advice we need to make the dicision in the next week or so and for sure all the advice would be a great help
Thanks

Thank you for the reply.
One step further is that we have been offered two jobs. High level specs for one were listed before for a job in Dubai. The other one is a job in Abu Dhabi with following specs.
1. Money in hand 21300
2. Accomodation: 115K
3. School per child 10K (peanuts). Much less than the other job.
4. Yearly bonuses range between minimum of 3 to max of 6,7 monthlies.
5. Furnishing 55K initially and paid every 5 years. So 10.5K added every year.
6. Tickets paid to Canada, business class. That said this will be monies in hand around 46K first year and then 57K from next year. So we can travel economy for 20K back home and pocket the rest. The other company provides 1 ticket per year back home and then 90%/50% off tickets unlimited to anywhere, because it is an airline.

Biggest thing we are worried about is that accomodation seems to be more expensive, if available, in Abu Dhabi than Dubai(The Dubai company will pay either 120K or give us a 3 bedroom around 1600 sq.ft apartment in pretty good building with a swimming pool and GYM etc but in Al Nahda. All utilities and parking paid for)

Also the children's education fund is for primary 22K less per child and for secondary 45K less per child. But that said the bonus monies and furnishing seem to be higher in the Abu Dhabi company.

We have been struggling with this equation, deciding between one or the other and have not been able to come up with an answer. We would really appreciate all the advice and help any of you can offer in this regard. We do have to make a decision by this weekend.

thank you.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

...we have different needs but my personal opinion is:

1. I wasn't impressed with Dubai as a place to live. (For those that love the place - please don't shoot me down - it's just my opinion based my own personal needs of a good environment to live - and I have lived in many places). I have never been to Al Nahda so can't give an opinion there.

2. Look at the quality of education and upbringing for your child - where will they be happy? And what would make you happy in respect of their education / well-being (check the other threads on that subject). I have no knowledge of that subject in any country