British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Anyone work for Emirates? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/anyone-work-emirates-504238/)

Daz968 Jan 7th 2008 12:06 pm

Anyone work for Emirates?

Hi all

I am looking to get a full time job at Emirates in IT.

I know very little about life in Dubai and working for the airline. If I get the job, it will be based in Dubai.

I have no kids, there is just me and my (Polish) girlfriend. Is life great out there? Could my g/f get a job? How hot does it really get? Does anyone else work for Emirates - what are they like as an employer? (Pm's may be required here!!) ;)

I also have opportunites in South Africa (a whole lot safer in Dubai I know - but different challenges).

Any help / advice / comments welcome.

HAppy New Year and kind regards :thumbup:

Paidtoplease Jan 7th 2008 12:09 pm

Re: Anyone work for Emirates?

Originally Posted by Daz968 (Post 5752214)
Hi all

I am looking to get a full time job at Emirates in IT.

I know very little about life in Dubai and working for the airline. If I get the job, it will be based in Dubai.

I have no kids, there is just me and my (Polish) girlfriend. Is life great out there? Could my g/f get a job? How hot does it really get? Does anyone else work for Emirates - what are they like as an employer? (Pm's may be required here!!) ;)

I also have opportunites in South Africa (a whole safer I know - but different challenges).

Any help / advice / comments welcome.

HAppy New Year and kind regards :thumbup:

www.emiratesgroupcareers.com

Try this

Daz968 Jan 7th 2008 12:40 pm

Thanks for the pointer...already some way down the line (looking to come out end of Jan for an interview).

There are many questions that I'll have at the interview, but I just wanted to get some 'on the ground' knowledge / experiences.

:)

Border Reiver Jan 7th 2008 12:46 pm

You won't be able to sponsor your girlfriend as you are not married, so she would need to sort out her own visa or get a job and be sponsored that way. I'm not sure if visa runs are an option on a Polish passport. Also, if Emirates are providing accommodation she will not be able to live in it- again because you are not married. She also won't qualify for medical insurance through Emirates. I suspect these may be your biggest problems.

Inselaffen Jan 7th 2008 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Border Reiver (Post 5752344)
You won't be able to sponsor your girlfriend as you are not married, so she would need to sort out her own visa or get a job and be sponsored that way. I'm not sure if visa runs are an option on a Polish passport. Also, if Emirates are providing accommodation she will not be able to live in it- again because you are not married. She also won't qualify for medical insurance through Emirates. I suspect these may be your biggest problems.

sounds like someone is going to have to get down on one knee :p

Daz968 Jan 7th 2008 1:35 pm

Mmmm, South Africa or marriage....

:confused: :unsure: :confused: :unsure: :)

Border Reiver Jan 7th 2008 1:50 pm

South Africa will probably work out cheaper....:D

Seriously though, as far as Emirates are concerned you are either single with no dependents or married. There is nothing in between.

Daz968 Jan 7th 2008 4:21 pm

@rse :blink:

I was banking on the monthly visa run...

Sounds as though you know from experience the Emirates requirements. Oh well, I have my interview end of January anyway - so I will raise the question. I am on 3 months notice - so if I (we) decide to go, we can fit it in between packing :eek: :wub: :(

Failing that, she could go back to restaurant management and work in one of the hotels (we already have a few friends who work in hotels there). I wasn't banking on her being a kept woman anyway...

Obviously we couldn't live in the Emirates accom as you say - unless we got mmmm... - sorry can't quite bring myself to say it :D

Old Lob Jan 7th 2008 4:42 pm

I dont work for Emirates - in fact they don't even want me to be a passenger any more on account of me always being pissed.

My advice is this. Dump the bird and take the job with Emirates they can always post you to south africa if you are bad. Theres millions of Polish girls awaiting you in Dubai but be warned a little bit - they prefer southerners - so just make sure youre stinking rich and get free flights to crack ow. That was not a typo - good luck and programme the plane full of booze mate.

Border Reiver Jan 7th 2008 5:00 pm

The visa run might be a possibility, I don't know if it works for a Pole though. Think very carefully about medical insurance though. She will definitely need that and it is expensive.

expat.brat Jan 7th 2008 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Old Lob (Post 5753133)
I dont work for Emirates - in fact they don't even want me to be a passenger any more on account of me always being pissed.

My advice is this. Dump the bird and take the job with Emirates they can always post you to south africa if you are bad. Theres millions of Polish girls awaiting you in Dubai but be warned a little bit - they prefer southerners - so just make sure youre stinking rich and get free flights to crack ow. That was not a typo - good luck and programme the plane full of booze mate.

can they tell the difference after some vodka?

Old Lob Jan 8th 2008 3:32 am

Originally Posted by expat.brat (Post 5753261)
can they tell the difference after some vodka?

Dunno - I'm to ugly and poor to cop off..

lionheart Jan 8th 2008 3:59 am

Originally Posted by Border Reiver (Post 5753185)
The visa run might be a possibility, I don't know if it works for a Pole though. Think very carefully about medical insurance though. She will definitely need that and it is expensive.

I have lived in KSA and UAE for over 10 years and never considered having medical insurance...perhaps we have just been lucky. The only time we needed hospital treatment was when our daughter was born (in Jeddah) which cost us Dhs 5,000 which wouldn't have been covered by insurance anyway. Just my two pennyworth...

Meow Jan 8th 2008 8:08 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 5755884)
I have lived in KSA and UAE for over 10 years and never considered having medical insurance...perhaps we have just been lucky. The only time we needed hospital treatment was when our daughter was born (in Jeddah) which cost us Dhs 5,000 which wouldn't have been covered by insurance anyway. Just my two pennyworth...

Don't start that again! You have been lucky. And many medical plans do cover maternity costs.

Paidtoplease Jan 8th 2008 8:16 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 5756594)
Don't start that again! You have been lucky. And many medical plans do cover maternity costs.

:rofl: