Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Anyone remember Dubai in 2008?

Anyone remember Dubai in 2008?

Old Oct 2nd 2017, 7:51 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone remember Dubai in 2008?

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
Any more plums that anyone can remember?
The Universe?

There was supposed to be a revolving mountain/ski slope out in Dubailand if I remember rightly.

I have fond memories of crossing the mini roundabout to get across Emirates road into The Ranches, it really was like Russian roulette.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
The Universe?

There was supposed to be a revolving mountain/ski slope out in Dubailand if I remember rightly.

I have fond memories of crossing the mini roundabout to get across Emirates road into The Ranches, it really was like Russian roulette.
The indoor ski mountain - oh yeah People even started to buy off-plan flats and one of the UK tabloids did a feature on an elderly couple who'd invested their life savings in an off-plan flat facing the ski slope

I also remember the Ranches before any roundabout. Going to Motor City was a straight shot across a narrow road. Motor City had just opened, methinks. Ranches people raved about the Spinneys.

Speaking of which, in 2008-2009 there were still a lot of offroad shortcuts that were feasible, like the Ranches to Motor City. And when I lived in my villa share in Umm Suqeim that first year, we used to cut through undeveloped lots all the time.

Mind you, I remember old time expats talking about how they used to drive through the desert to get to Barasti
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 8:01 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Mind you, I remember old time expats talking about how they used to drive through the desert to get to Barasti
...and Chicago Beach Hotel
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

Gavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really nice

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
the Arabian canal which was supposed to be 17km long
If you look on Google Earth, there's a small completed section of this filled with water across 611 from Maktoum Airport, along with the outline for a large stretch of it. It was supposed to be 75km.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 9:23 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Never again???
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

Max the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really nice

Arrived in 92..

No barasti, no marina, SZR called Abu Dhabi rd and only 2 lanes with traffic lights and U turn at the Metropolitan.

Long Island ice teas at Chicago Beach on Thursday afternoon's then Pancho Villas, George and Dragon and the Lodge,

Them were the days!
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Pancho Villas and George and Dragon are still there

Originally Posted by Max the Dog
Arrived in 92..

No barasti, no marina, SZR called Abu Dhabi rd and only 2 lanes with traffic lights and U turn at the Metropolitan.

Long Island ice teas at Chicago Beach on Thursday afternoon's then Pancho Villas, George and Dragon and the Lodge,

Them were the days!
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 6:23 pm
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
...and Chicago Beach Hotel
We lived on Chicago beach for our first two years. Everything on the compound (Bar, gym, squash courts, the Pier and almost 2 kms of private beach just for us). I worked at Hamarain Centre back then (Marriott Deira Building) and it took an average of 20 minutes to get to/from work.

Was total bliss and I have never felt so happy to this day
Old Oct 8th 2017, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Arrived in the summer of 2006.

Yeah it was more fun and carefree and a lot less serious than it is now.

Used to enjoy the alternative routes home if the road was blocked. Bump out through a hole in the camel fence and off over the desert.
Old Oct 9th 2017, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

Arnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to behold

Arrived in 2009 after a few work related visits in 2008. Horrendous traffic, Deira City Centre to the Trade Centre taking over an hour if you timed it wrong. Colleagues from Sharjah talking about 5 hour commutes or not even making it home, sleeping in their car and coming into work the next day with the same clothes on.

Also, "Hey, hows it going? I had dinner with someone last night and they're looking for. Told them all about you, they really want to meet and I reckon this could be a decent sale, local guy plenty of money."

"Fantastic, I really appreciate it"

"Yeah, just give me 10,000 AED and I'll give you his phone number"
Old Oct 9th 2017, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arnold S
Also, "Hey, hows it going? I had dinner with someone last night and they're looking for. Told them all about you, they really want to meet and I reckon this could be a decent sale, local guy plenty of money."

"Fantastic, I really appreciate it"

"Yeah, just give me 10,000 AED and I'll give you his phone number"
WTF are you yammering on about?
Old Oct 9th 2017, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Brains1983
Someone wanted lots of money to connect him to a prospective employer.

Like the real estate agents who wanted a thousand upfront just to show you a flat.
Old Oct 9th 2017, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Someone wanted lots of money to connect him to a prospective employer.

Like the real estate agents who wanted a thousand upfront just to show you a flat.
OK - cheers for the explanation!

I only got here in 2010, guess that was all finished with by then!
Old Oct 9th 2017, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

OK - cheers for the explanation!

I only got here in 2010, guess that was all finished with by then!
It was a wild, wild, wild time mate

Salesmen everywhere were adding on personal margins. Even at the car dealerships they'd charge you an extra thousand or two just to put the plates on the car. You were being paid huge amounts of money and huge amounts of money was going out of you every day.
Old Oct 9th 2017, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.