British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Anyone recognise this country? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/anyone-recognise-country-896797/)

Statistix May 15th 2017 4:24 pm

Anyone recognise this country?

IMF Staff Completes 2017 Article IV Mission to the United Arab Emirates
:unsure:

scrubbedexpat141 May 16th 2017 4:30 am

Re: Anyone recognise this country?

Fascinating.

Even the IMF believe the Expo hype.

Millhouse May 16th 2017 6:05 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12253469)
Fascinating.

Even the IMF believe the Expo hype.

The IMF would never say otherwise.

What I find interesting is that some sectors of the economy are doing very well. It's just they do not translate to actual jobs or a feeling that things are doing well.

Let's also not forget that the IMF would have been fed questionable data.

scrubbedexpat141 May 16th 2017 6:56 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12253497)

What I find interesting is that some sectors of the economy are doing very well. It's just they do not translate to actual jobs or a feeling that things are doing well.

Tongue firmly in helmet.

Dubai's the weirdest I've known it. Busy busy busy but also not and people being punted all over.

Very strange.

Miss Ann Thrope May 16th 2017 7:50 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12253497)

I think if you read carefully there are quite a few barbs concealed in the IMF report...

shiva May 16th 2017 8:13 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12253521)
Tongue firmly in helmet.

Dubai's the weirdest I've known it. Busy busy busy but also not and people being punted all over.

Very strange.

Its reminding me of 2007.
Certain sectors are doing very well, others are apocalyptic.
I had another mate laid off this morning, he thought he'd survived the oil and gas purge, apparently not and I must know about half a dozen long term expats bailing this summer, combination of cost of living and the distinct feeling we've been here before.

scrubbedexpat141 May 16th 2017 8:28 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 12253553)
Its reminding me of 2007.
Certain sectors are doing very well, others are apocalyptic.
I had another mate laid off this morning, he thought he'd survived the oil and gas purge, apparently not and I must know about half a dozen long term expats bailing this summer, combination of cost of living and the distinct feeling we've been here before.

Cost of living is a new but valid reason for some leaving.

Inselaffen May 16th 2017 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12253565)
Cost of living is a new but valid reason for some leaving.

VAT is not going to help that!

scrubbedexpat141 May 16th 2017 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 12253756)
VAT is not going to help that!

No, I suppose not.

BUT - the Mrs just got an extra 5% on housing allowance and I'm in the middle of a pay review. :fingerscrossed:

al dente May 16th 2017 1:46 pm

It feels very 2008 down our way.

Two of our oldest friends are leaving. One, the project ended and the other hadn't seen his boss for 5 months, felt frustrated, so resigned. His team then resigned too. Interestingly he was offered a job in China for a big player but they couldn't make the numbers work so has chosen to 'retire' and become a consultant - back to the UAE! They will live in Europe and he will flit over when needed.

Other than that FB is full of leaving sales and Crown say they are inundated with few bookings for new arrivals.

Yet LinkedIn is full of jobs, some even don't specify UAE national only. There is a fair big of rejigging going on and we live in interesting times.

Kakawax May 16th 2017 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by al dente (Post 12253781)
There is a fair big of rejigging going on and we live in interesting times.

World Skills is being held in Abu Dahbi in October, goes without saying that finding native talent has been fruitless.
That potential loss of face on the world stage has repercussions and moves are afoot to redress the balance... though prolly not in our lifetime :D

Statistix May 16th 2017 8:28 pm

I heard a rumour that even a former Bored member, The Dean, may be relocating back home........ :o

scrubbedexpat141 May 17th 2017 4:30 am

Originally Posted by Statistix (Post 12254059)
I heard a rumour that even a former Bored member, The Dean, may be relocating back home........ :o

You're him aren't you?

We're offering jobs to people but generally they're taking the same cash. If they're at risk or even slightly concerned we're securing them for slightly less, more often than not.

Critical / hard to source roles still get increases but not much.

Millhouse May 17th 2017 5:32 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 12254228)
It's very odd right now.

Everyone is busy, seems to be in a rush but we are finding few are spending any money.

We are not that busy. Companies are not investing or expanding and hence are not requiring new money.

Local private equity money is busy looking for deals in India, and Africa. Very deal regional deals are happening. People are asset managing ... which normally means sorting out the bad shit. KSA is showing some hope, but we are still at the hope stage.

Millhouse May 17th 2017 5:33 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 12254228)
It's very odd right now.

Everyone is busy, seems to be in a rush but we are finding few are spending any money.

They are getting the last drips of milk from the cow before it dies.