Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Anyone know how to sell a Dubai car to an AD resident?

Anyone know how to sell a Dubai car to an AD resident?

Old Jul 5th 2014, 6:41 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone know how to sell a Dubai car to an AD resident?

Hello Board,

I am hoping to sell one of my cars (I am Dubai based) to a chap in AD.

I have no idea where to start!! Any ideas?
Old Jul 5th 2014, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Pongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone know how to sell a Dubai car to an AD resident?

It probably needs to be de-registered then taken on one of those rescue type trucks to AD, inspected then re-registered.....I think.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 8:08 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

Cool, thanks Pongo. I'll check that out.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 8:46 am
Just Joined

_Cheery is an unknown quantity at this point

'Hoping'?

Take it to Abu Dhabi, let 'a chap' drive it and sell it on the spot if your skills warrant it.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 10:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Take it and the buyer to the RTA in dubai
Transfer it to him and do the sale. It goes on export plates.
He buys 3 day temp insurance for the export plate at the RTA centre
He drives it to ad and reimports it
Your bit ends in dubai

But... The export test is a lesser test than the registration test. He may want to have the full test done before paying.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 4:20 am
Wannabe Cycling God

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Transfer it to him and do the sale. It goes on export plates.
He buys 3 day temp insurance for the export plate at the RTA centre
He drives it to ad and reimports it
Your bit ends in dubai

But... The export test is a lesser test than the registration test. He may want to have the full test done before paying.
Thanks MH
Old Jul 9th 2014, 10:42 am
Just Joined

Poppies is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi TheShed

I was in your predicament a few years back. My car was a DUBAI plate ( although I lived in Al Ain) and the chap buying my car was based in Abu Dhabi. We both had to go to Dubai Car licensing & Traffic Department off SZR ( Ive forgotton its correct name!) - website enclosed http://www.rta.ae, and get the car registered in his name with a Abu Dhabi plate- it took about a whole day including the necessary transfer of ownership/ Salik and MOT .....this site is extremely useful. Good luck!
Old Jul 9th 2014, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppies
Hi TheShed

I was in your predicament a few years back. My car was a DUBAI plate ( although I lived in Al Ain) and the chap buying my car was based in Abu Dhabi. We both had to go to Dubai Car licensing & Traffic Department off SZR ( Ive forgotton its correct name!) - website enclosed http://www.rta.ae, and get the car registered in his name with a Abu Dhabi plate- it took about a whole day including the necessary transfer of ownership/ Salik and MOT .....this site is extremely useful. Good luck!
It's Al Barsha, between MOE and Dubai Garden Centre.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 11:01 am
Just Joined

Poppies is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes Brains1983.. thats it! Address is Sheikh Zayed Road, Al Quoz Industrial 3, Bur Dubai Traffic Building

Thank you!
Old Jul 14th 2014, 7:00 am
Just Joined

Buzz126 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a Used Car in Dubai & Registering in AD

Hi Folks

Looking at the used car market, I was wondering about buying a used car in one Emirate such as Dubai and Registering for use in AD.
This broadens my choice but not sure of formalities/legalities.

Not interested in new or buying from a dealer. My budget is limited to buying cash.

Grateful for anyone's experiences and guidance

Many thanks

Buzz
Old Jul 14th 2014, 7:18 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Transfer it to him and do the sale. It goes on export plates
Not any more. Export plates are no longer issued. Several people on Dubai Petrolheads have been stuffed by this recently. It's almost like they want to discourage the transfer of cars between emirates.

There are now only two legal ways of doing it. Either you deregister the car in Dubai (which of course means giving the plates back to the RTA) and then get it taken on a recovery truck to AD for testing and re-registration there, or you drive the car to AD, remove the plates, bring the plates back to Dubai and de-register it, then give the paperwork to the new owner to take back to AD and test/re-register it.
Old Jul 16th 2014, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

or just keep the car on the same plates you buy it with, and register the thing in Dubai. Saves the 3 day insurance thing (which I guess you wouldn't need anyway if they no longer issue export plates), and would save on the recovery truck cost...
Old Jul 16th 2014, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

Originally Posted by Brains1983
or just keep the car on the same plates you buy it with, and register the thing in Dubai. Saves the 3 day insurance thing (which I guess you wouldn't need anyway if they no longer issue export plates), and would save on the recovery truck cost...
If you have an AD residency visa you are supposed to register it there. Shame really, Dubai rta is much less picky about offroad mods than Al Ain!