British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Anyone know how to sell a Dubai car to an AD resident? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/anyone-know-how-sell-dubai-car-ad-resident-838010/)

TheShed Jul 5th 2014 6:41 am

Anyone know how to sell a Dubai car to an AD resident?

Hello Board,

I am hoping to sell one of my cars (I am Dubai based) to a chap in AD.

I have no idea where to start!! Any ideas?

Pongo Jul 5th 2014 7:52 am

Re: Anyone know how to sell a Dubai car to an AD resident?

It probably needs to be de-registered then taken on one of those rescue type trucks to AD, inspected then re-registered.....I think.

TheShed Jul 5th 2014 8:08 am

Cool, thanks Pongo. I'll check that out.

_Cheery Jul 5th 2014 8:46 am

'Hoping'?

Take it to Abu Dhabi, let 'a chap' drive it and sell it on the spot if your skills warrant it.

Millhouse Jul 5th 2014 10:17 am

Take it and the buyer to the RTA in dubai
Transfer it to him and do the sale. It goes on export plates.
He buys 3 day temp insurance for the export plate at the RTA centre
He drives it to ad and reimports it
Your bit ends in dubai

But... The export test is a lesser test than the registration test. He may want to have the full test done before paying.

TheShed Jul 6th 2014 4:20 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11325885)
Transfer it to him and do the sale. It goes on export plates.
He buys 3 day temp insurance for the export plate at the RTA centre
He drives it to ad and reimports it
Your bit ends in dubai

But... The export test is a lesser test than the registration test. He may want to have the full test done before paying.

Thanks MH

Poppies Jul 9th 2014 10:42 am

Hi TheShed

I was in your predicament a few years back. My car was a DUBAI plate ( although I lived in Al Ain) and the chap buying my car was based in Abu Dhabi. We both had to go to Dubai Car licensing & Traffic Department off SZR ( Ive forgotton its correct name!) - website enclosed http://www.rta.ae, and get the car registered in his name with a Abu Dhabi plate- it took about a whole day including the necessary transfer of ownership/ Salik and MOT .....this site is extremely useful. Good luck!

Brains1983 Jul 9th 2014 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Poppies (Post 11330742)
Hi TheShed

I was in your predicament a few years back. My car was a DUBAI plate ( although I lived in Al Ain) and the chap buying my car was based in Abu Dhabi. We both had to go to Dubai Car licensing & Traffic Department off SZR ( Ive forgotton its correct name!) - website enclosed http://www.rta.ae, and get the car registered in his name with a Abu Dhabi plate- it took about a whole day including the necessary transfer of ownership/ Salik and MOT .....this site is extremely useful. Good luck!

It's Al Barsha, between MOE and Dubai Garden Centre.

Poppies Jul 9th 2014 11:01 am

Yes Brains1983.. thats it! Address is Sheikh Zayed Road, Al Quoz Industrial 3, Bur Dubai Traffic Building

Thank you!

Buzz126 Jul 14th 2014 7:00 am

Buying a Used Car in Dubai & Registering in AD

Hi Folks

Looking at the used car market, I was wondering about buying a used car in one Emirate such as Dubai and Registering for use in AD.
This broadens my choice but not sure of formalities/legalities.

Not interested in new or buying from a dealer. My budget is limited to buying cash.

Grateful for anyone's experiences and guidance :confused:

Many thanks

Buzz

Eeyore Jul 14th 2014 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11325885)
Transfer it to him and do the sale. It goes on export plates

Not any more. Export plates are no longer issued. Several people on Dubai Petrolheads have been stuffed by this recently. It's almost like they want to discourage the transfer of cars between emirates.

There are now only two legal ways of doing it. Either you deregister the car in Dubai (which of course means giving the plates back to the RTA) and then get it taken on a recovery truck to AD for testing and re-registration there, or you drive the car to AD, remove the plates, bring the plates back to Dubai and de-register it, then give the paperwork to the new owner to take back to AD and test/re-register it.

Brains1983 Jul 16th 2014 6:11 am

or just keep the car on the same plates you buy it with, and register the thing in Dubai. Saves the 3 day insurance thing (which I guess you wouldn't need anyway if they no longer issue export plates), and would save on the recovery truck cost...

Bluelionesse Jul 16th 2014 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 11337776)
or just keep the car on the same plates you buy it with, and register the thing in Dubai. Saves the 3 day insurance thing (which I guess you wouldn't need anyway if they no longer issue export plates), and would save on the recovery truck cost...

If you have an AD residency visa you are supposed to register it there. Shame really, Dubai rta is much less picky about offroad mods than Al Ain!