Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

For anyone involved in construction, this is a total mindf**k

For anyone involved in construction, this is a total mindf**k

Old Jan 10th 2012, 9:36 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For anyone involved in construction, this is a total mindf**k

Originally Posted by iamthestig
I'd love to build and live in one, gorgeous houses, but you need the right location.
... and a very tidy disposition!
Old Jan 11th 2012, 1:31 am
Kraut

guuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really nice

if you take a closer look to HUf Haus and catch the idea, remove some design elements you can have the same system build by a local Carpenter!!

The structure is actually nothing new on the market.

For example if you have somehow plans you can have a similar house from Poland, where you will find a lot of german technology ;-) for min. 30% less!!!
Old Jan 11th 2012, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

So no one has any idea of price for a house like the pictured one?

Are the columns all time or steel? I am thinking the latter unless there are concrete or steel columns in the interior that is not readily visible.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 7:57 am
Some say, he adores KSA

iamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
So no one has any idea of price for a house like the pictured one?

Are the columns all time or steel? I am thinking the latter unless there are concrete or steel columns in the interior that is not readily visible.
North of GBP250K last time I checked, dependent on spec. The construction is all timber, post and beam.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 8:32 am
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

I thought they were closer to 400-500K?! That's how much the couple paid who were on Grand Designs.

Factor in the land - certainly south East uk land and that's out of my league.

I would love to have a house built. But its such a hassle, you have to know what you are doing (I don't) and my experience with builders so far has been so bad - and that was just with two bathrooms. I love all these people that do it on a budget and have an amazing result but you have to have the stomach for it. I wish my granddad were alive - he could have built a house pretty much by himself.

Just have to content myself with the semi. But oh, how I hanker after clean lines, open spaces and floor to ceiling glass.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 8:57 am
Some say, he adores KSA

iamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lullabelle
I thought they were closer to 400-500K?! That's how much the couple paid who were on Grand Designs.

I would love to have a house built. But its such a hassle, you have to know what you are doing (I don't) and my experience with builders so far has been so bad - and that was just with two bathrooms. I love all these people that do it on a budget and have an amazing result but you have to have the stomach for it. I wish my granddad were alive - he could have built a house pretty much by himself.

Just have to content myself with the semi. But oh, how I hanker after clean lines, open spaces and floor to ceiling glass.
huf-haus.blogspot.com/2007/04/typical-huf-haus-costs.html

This was a few years ago, and I'm sure the prices have escalated since then.

One of my ex-bosses built his own house on an island in the fjords in Norway. A covenant on the land meant he wasn't able to bring any building materials onto the island (other than some glass, cables and pipes and fixings), which meant he had to use timber from the island to build it. If you saw this place, that he built with his own hands, you would not believe it. An incredible piece of work, took him ten years. Looks like a typical Nordic lodge.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 9:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Lullabelle- get a project manager! you should do it

claim to fame - my family were featured in a grand designs style documentary- before grand designs existed- was a channel 4 production. 5 bungalows self built by 5 disabled families built for 150k part prefab (but land was donated) we were seen as pioneers at the time- bloody hard work and nearly killed my dad! But Lullabelle- if you get the chance you should do it :-)
Old Jan 12th 2012, 3:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=kittycat1;9835001]Lullabelle- get a project manager! you should do it

yeh you need a decent project manager to keep it all on board, some of the people on the programmes such as grand designs waste so much money on the way they do it and keep changing their mind like the teletubbie house etc.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Just ran across this blog by a Brit detailing the cost of a Huf Haus he had built in Switzerland . The Huf Haus cost was £333K (not including land and other affiliated building costs). This was in 2007, so would the cost be lower now due to economical downturn?

http://huf-haus.blogspot.com/2007/04...aus-costs.html

I don't know why but this quote from the below Telegraph artickle made me chuckle;
Yet the Rolls-Royce of prefabs is still the iconic Huf Haus, post-and-beam homes that arrive in kit form and are then assembled on site by a crack team of builders from Germany
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/...t-deliver.html

Plain ole British assemblers won't do and plain ole German assemblers won't do either, nein nein nein....we must have a crack team from Germany! The SAS of assemblers!

The first Huf Haus in Britain arrived in 1997 and there are now 170 dotted around the country. The homes are individually designed and prices start from about £500,000, which does not include the cost of land. At the top of the range, in the nature of a bespoke service, the sky is the limit.
Are the ones in Britain really assembled onsite by Germans???Seem rather hard to believe....

Last edited by Boomhauer; Jan 12th 2012 at 9:32 am.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by lullabelle

Get an Ikea one..

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...munities.money
Old Jan 13th 2012, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

Work Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really nice

Speak to the Chinese, they can replicate anything for a quarter of the price!

Can you imagine a HUF haus with "made in China" stamped all over it? They are pretty amazing.

They can prefab and ship it out - probably!

Last edited by Work Widow; Jan 13th 2012 at 2:27 pm. Reason: To add extra
Old Jan 14th 2012, 4:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Back to the original post............

Built in 15 days?? Will it completely collapse in 15 seconds?
Old Jan 14th 2012, 8:03 am
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

Stop it Kittycat... I think my husband would kill me. I'd love to do it but I'm not lucky with builders.

And yes the Huf Houses are built all by Germans and the workmanship is superb. I had shifty round the one in my home town. Everything immaculate.

If I can't sleep at night I actually lie there planning my dream house.

A designer friend once sent me pics of modernist homes built out of shipping containers: $40,000 for a two bed. And they looked quite good. But not Grand Designs worthy.

There's a private estate in Docklands, right on the Thames that was self built by a community in the 80's. Called Maconchie's wharf, each of the houses cost £50,000 in total. Thames path right outside the door... Of course when they built them that bit of docklands was probably grim. A friend of ours bought a Georgian terrace on narrow street right on the river in the 80's and it was a dump. Taxi drivers wouldn't go there!

I digress, years ago I remember seeing a cracking kit house at the Ideal Home exhibition that came from one of the Scandinavian countries -wish I could remember. It wasn't a Huf but it was stunning.

Last edited by lullabelle; Jan 14th 2012 at 8:13 am. Reason: More crap