Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Is anyone here superstitious?

Is anyone here superstitious?

Old Aug 29th 2012, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is anyone here superstitious?

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
I mean genuinely truly believe in superstitions and not just someone who goes along with it because they think it is harmless fun.

And in a related note, does anyone truly believe in horoscopes?
Yes I am superstitious.
And no I don't.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 12:17 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
Presumably the question also applies to the major organised superstitions of mainly ancient and medieval origin with particularly ludicrous beliefs and rituals?
Like if you don't wear a seat belt in your Landcruiser you will be protected by a higher being when you invariably wreck it?
Old Aug 29th 2012, 12:30 pm

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by britexpat76
Like if you don't wear a seat belt in your Landcruiser you will be protected by a higher being when you invariably wreck it?
That kind of thing, exactly...
Old Aug 29th 2012, 1:41 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

And presumably the one where if you pray numerous times a day you'll still get to heaven with all those virgins (with or without their own cream) despite having been a total bastard all your life?
Old Aug 29th 2012, 1:48 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
And presumably the one where if you pray numerous times a day you'll still get to heaven with all those virgins (with or without their own cream) despite having been a total bastard all your life?
Old Aug 29th 2012, 1:53 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Might find this of interest, superstition versus ritualistic behaviour:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14917871
Old Aug 29th 2012, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Horoscopes as a reliable measure of predicting the future? "You will trip over a loose paving stone near the bus shelter. Your lucky object is a cement mixer." Er..... no............

However............. I'm convinced (against my better judgement) that signs of the zodiac, or 'star signs', do reflect characteristics and traits of behaviour. Why? Because Deanetta is almost witch-like in her ability to identify people on precisely that basis. It's uncanny - she can meet a total stranger, without knowing his/her date of birth, or even their name or background, and after a few minutes of bland conversation, she will suddenly say 'You're a Sagittarius, aren't you?'. She's almost always right, and it freaks people out who don't know her..............
Old Aug 29th 2012, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Meow
Or indeed the other one that takes its name from their leader, a zombie who is his own father...
Old Aug 29th 2012, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean
Horoscopes as a reliable measure of predicting the future? "You will trip over a loose paving stone near the bus shelter. Your lucky object is a cement mixer." Er..... no............

However............. I'm convinced (against my better judgement) that signs of the zodiac, or 'star signs', do reflect characteristics and traits of behaviour. Why? Because Deanetta is almost witch-like in her ability to identify people on precisely that basis. It's uncanny - she can meet a total stranger, without knowing his/her date of birth, or even their name or background, and after a few minutes of bland conversation, she will suddenly say 'You're a Sagittarius, aren't you?'. She's almost always right, and it freaks people out who don't know her..............
Oh dear, a nice cup of tea and a biscuit should sort you out....
Old Aug 29th 2012, 5:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
Oh dear, a nice cup of tea and a biscuit should sort you out....
No I'm fine thanks - I'm used to it now............ and I haven't even got an explanation for it. My mother (a devout Christian) finds her somewhat uncomfortable though............
Old Aug 29th 2012, 5:49 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

1 in 12 chance of being right. Oh and you'll remember when she was right far more often than when she was wrong (cause that's how human minds work) so it assumes a significance out of proportion to the actual number of times she's correct. I would suggest that you keep a record of the number of times right and wrong but in social situations that would be dull beyond belief :-) I'm going to stick to my tried and tested chat up line 'What's your star sign baby?' I only wish it worked, sigh!
Old Aug 29th 2012, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mikewot
1 in 12 chance of being right. Oh and you'll remember when she was right far more often than when she was wrong (cause that's how human minds work) so it assumes a significance out of proportion to the actual number of times she's correct. I would suggest that you keep a record of the number of times right and wrong but in social situations that would be dull beyond belief :-) I'm going to stick to my tried and tested chat up line 'What's your star sign baby?' I only wish it worked, sigh!
No - she can justify it by listing the characteristics she identifies. She's a Taurus which means nothing to me but she found my mother difficult from about thirty seconds into their first meeting. She hadn't asked me her date of birth but she instinctively sensed she was also a Taurus (correct). They don't get on, apparently (Tauruses with Tauruses).

Please don't ask me to explain or justify it - I think it's creepy beyond belief - but I can swear to her accuracy.

Last edited by The Dean; Aug 29th 2012 at 6:13 pm. Reason: .
Old Aug 29th 2012, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

However............. I'm convinced (against my better judgement) that signs of the zodiac, or 'star signs', do reflect characteristics and traits of behaviour. Why? Because Deanetta is almost witch-like in her ability to identify people on precisely that basis.
Look up the Fundamental Attribution Error.

Like all Leos, I think this horoscope thing is a pile of bollocks. Old joke but I couldn't resist.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 6:47 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

In addition to using the Chinese year-based system (eg Year of the Dragon), the Japanese also attribute charachter traits to blood type. Every Japanese person knows his or her blood type, and the characteristics that go with it. I'm A+, and like everything neat and ordered, which is one of the traits. Can't remember the others...
Old Aug 30th 2012, 6:50 am
Shark Fisherman

I am one of only 3% that have AB+ blood which probably just means I will be screwed if I ever need a load of it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.