Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Anyone on here converted (embraced) Islam?

Anyone on here converted (embraced) Islam?

Old Mar 1st 2013, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone on here converted (embraced) Islam?

Originally Posted by norsk
Perhaps, but I'd say the odds are stacked in their favour...
This is pretty much the atheist view isn't it? The odds of god existing based on the evidence human history has coughed up vs god not existing are mostly stacked in the favour of the atheist view. A truly rational and logical person cannot fully disregard what cannot be proven or disproven. This of course, only leaves belief, mostly an intellectual crutch touted by the religious faction.

Also, reverting to your previous post on the burden of proof. It only concerns an atheist as long as a religious person bangs on about the existence of god. Take god away, and I guess there would be no monotheistic religion, meaning, the debate would end.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 7:49 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desert Dubliner
Find Existence of God on Wikipedia. A cursory examination suggests 50/50.

I don't really care. Heaven will be like Maldives where you can really relax. But hell will be like Saudi, hot and shitty but you find good mates. Either way I don't care.
See this is one of the things that I just don't get. Clearly the concept of heaven and hell is created purely to keep people under control during their life on earth. However why would there be such a thing for real? You live for just 80 years or so and then suddenly you spend eternity either roasting away or chilling on the beach. It makes no sense whatsoever, and it amazes me that people who are otherwise intelligent would believe such a load of crap.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paracletus
This is pretty much the atheist view isn't it? The odds of god existing based on the evidence human history has coughed up vs god not existing are mostly stacked in the favour of the atheist view. A truly rational and logical person cannot fully disregard what cannot be proven or disproven. This of course, only leaves belief, mostly an intellectual crutch touted by the religious faction.

Also, reverting to your previous post on the burden of proof. It only concerns an atheist as long as a religious person bangs on about the existence of god. Take god away, and I guess there would be no monotheistic religion, meaning, the debate would end.
Exactly - they started it.
See this is one of the things that I just don't get. Clearly the concept of heaven and hell is created purely to keep people under control during their life on earth. However why would there be such a thing for real? You live for just 80 years or so and then suddenly you spend eternity either roasting away or chilling on the beach. It makes no sense whatsoever, and it amazes me that people who are otherwise intelligent
would believe such a load of crap.
Also you no longer have a body, so what is being burned/enjoying the clouds
Old Mar 1st 2013, 7:54 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paracletus

Possibly. I don't consider myself an atheist though as I am not opposed to the idea of there being some sort of greater being, but I don't think that they would give a toss about humans regardless of how we choose to live our lives.

I reckon religious people only bang on about religion as they are terrified that their whole life is built on a lie. Atheists are like militants on the other spectre of opinion whilst in between you have a lot of people who simply couldn't care less.

Last edited by norsk; Mar 1st 2013 at 8:02 pm. Reason: terrible spelling error..late correction. sorry.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 7:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Possibly. I don't consider myself an atheist though as I am not opposed to the idea of there being some sort of greater being, but I don't think that they would give a toss about humans regardless of how we choose to live our lives.

I reckon religious people only bang on about religion as they are terrified that there whole life is built on a lie. Atheists are like militants on the other spectre of opinion whilst in between you have a lot of people who simply couldn't care less.
Why are atheists 'militant'? Couldn't care less = non-believer = atheist.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 7:59 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

An agnostic can't be asking for a proof as an agnostic does not believe that the truth on this subject can be found.
Agnostics & atheists are very similar in regard to 'proof'. Show even the slightest shred of proof that a god exists and we'll be building more churches, not converting them into public houses and private dwellings. So far, well I think the evidence of conversion into said Public houses and private dwellings is pretty conclusive.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 8:00 pm
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

What? No Heaven and Hell? Next you will say there is no Santa.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 8:00 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Militant in the way that they actually seem to care (i.e. take offence that some people choose to be religious) and argue against the nutters rather than just doing what most other non-religious people do and just ignore them...
Old Mar 1st 2013, 8:01 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

Don't be stupid, of course Santa is real..
Old Mar 1st 2013, 8:03 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Because for far too long the 'believers' held the upper hand. If you weren't one of them then you were castigated. Now the swing is towards the other side but 'non-believers' are still held to be 'untouchable' and therefore anyone who speaks up for non belief (what a very very curious term for the default state) is considered to be 'militant'. You only need to conduct the briefest google search to see this.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 8:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mikewot
Because for far too long the 'believers' held the upper hand. If you weren't one of them then you were castigated. Now the swing is towards the other side but 'non-believers' are still held to be 'untouchable' and therefore anyone who speaks up for non belief (what a very very curious term for the default state) is considered to be 'militant'. You only need to conduct the briefest google search to see this.
Yes that's very true.
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

Agnostics & atheists are very similar in regard to 'proof'.
You really insist on putting 0 effort in researching the stuff you opine about. Would you kindly investigate what agnosticism is in relation to existence of the proof of existence of God so at least you don't repeat such bumbling nonsense the next time the subject is discussed in your presence?
Account Closed

No santa. No tooth fairy. Same same.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 8:06 pm
Account Closed

You really insist on putting 0 effort in researching the stuff you opine about. Would you kindly investigate what agnosticism is in relation to existence of the proof of existence of God so at least you don't repeat such bumbling nonsense the next time the subject is discussed in your presence?
Ah yes, once again I'm too thick to understand. Whatever, you carry on burying your head in the sand, sticking your fingers in your ears and going 'laa laa laa laa!'. Enjoy and please feel free to knock yourself out.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 8:09 pm
Banned

Ah yes, once again I'm too thick to understand. Whatever, you carry on burying your head in the sand, sticking your fingers in your ears and going 'laa laa laa laa!'. Enjoy and please feel free to knock yourself out.
No but I am an agnostic and I believe that the existence of the god is unknown and unknowable. You are an atheist and you believe, based on proof of rational thinking or whatever you see as the absence of proof, that the god does not exist.

The two could not be further apart in relation to the 'proof'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.