Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Anyone on here converted (embraced) Islam?

Anyone on here converted (embraced) Islam?

Old Feb 26th 2013, 10:58 pm
Banned

Ajeeb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone on here converted (embraced) Islam?

Originally Posted by britexpat76
Ajeeb, you seem to of missed my posts or ignored them. I would appreciate an answer as I took my time to reply to yours.
No, not at all britexpat. There have been many questions--yours being one amongst them--and I hoped that you would have at least given the book a read to get your questions answered. Anyhow, Islam is the fastest growing religion not because, as you suggested, people would be put to death if they left the religion. The fact of the matter is that this growth comes mainly from the West, where certainly no one is killed if they do decide to leave the religion. Have a look at the links below from your own sources. Since I took the time to respond to your question, please have a look at least at the table of contents of said book. You're open minded right?

http://www.christianvoice.org.uk/ind...al-rate-in-uk/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lim-faith.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...h-2175178.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfx4glTU5JQ
Old Feb 26th 2013, 11:19 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ajeeb
No, not at all britexpat. There have been many questions--yours being one amongst them--and I hoped that you would have at least given the book a read to get your questions answered. Anyhow, Islam is the fastest growing religion not because, as you suggested, people would be put to death if they left the religion. The fact of the matter is that this growth comes mainly from the West, where certainly no one is killed if they do decide to leave the religion. Have a look at the links below from your own sources. Since I took the time to respond to your question, please have a look at least at the table of contents of said book. You're open minded right?

http://www.christianvoice.org.uk/ind...al-rate-in-uk/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lim-faith.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...h-2175178.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfx4glTU5JQ

Ajeeb, the fastest growth is not in the west at all. Please look at the stats. You still missed my questions about converts from Islam and females marrying outside Islam. See, I am in a strange predicament my wife is married to me - an infidel and she is also a journalist so I think I am quite knowledgable in this. But enlighten me on what we are doing wrong.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 1:57 am
Banned

Ajeeb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by britexpat76
Hi Ajeeb and welcome to the bored. So we can assume you sit on the fence when it comes to religion?

I agree Islam is the fastest growing religion, it is probably the only religion that is growing why do you think that is? Is it because of the word of Allah or perhaps that the consequences for leaving Islam (Apostasy) is Death in a lot of countries, or the least your family will disown you? Is is also that you forbid women to marry anyone other than a Muslim so the children are also raised Muslim thus ensuring the religion grows?

Why do you think people in the west who have free impartial news and access to resources are turning their back on religion? I read Arabic news and people on the bored would be amazed with what I see written in Arabic classed as 'news'. Last week it was reported that Sarah Jessica Parkers new perfume was poison and several muslims had died from using it!

My point is, the penalty for questioning your religion or country in this area is often death/prison or being ostracised - Good enough reason to keep towing the line? What if people had the opportunity to think for themselves and not just quote the Qu'ran as you did?
I'm in the West, and I, like many converts have turned away from Christianity as I've found it flawed and insufficient. I've turned towards Islam; this is despite all the propoganda about 9/11 and 7/7/07, etc. I think if the information we received about Islam was fair and balanced even more people would be accepting Islam.

Women aren't allowed to marry outside the religion simply to protect their religion. If religion is a matter of heaven and hell, why would anyone jeopardize their daughter's prosperity by having her marry one who would put her religion at risk? Would you have your daughter marry a criminal, drug addict or gang member?
Old Feb 27th 2013, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Women aren't allowed to marry outside the religion simply to protect their religion. If religion is a matter of heaven and hell, why would anyone jeopardize their daughter's prosperity by having her marry one who would put her religion at risk? Would you have your daughter marry a criminal, drug addict or gang member?
Women aren't allowed to make their own decisions on who to marry so the religion propagates itself in perpetuity? Clever, very clever. I realize alot of people do get indoctrinated both at home and later by their teachers as well. There is no difference between a strict religious observer or a staunch ideologist. I'm glad however, you confirm without a hint of irony one of the many survival techniques of your ancient tribal doctrine.

I'm glad Europe is shifting religion further away from politics every day, for the most part. You can even tear up a bible in Poland now and claim artistic freedom. Good times.

Also, nothing much happened on 07/07/07 really, it happened in '05..but details details...whats a few years in an eternity?

As for fair and balanced..well..fair and balanced like fox news? Yes..fair and balanced in that case. I can accept that 911 and 7/7 were done by nutters..but why so much anger for some drawings by an old man? Or death threats for books and films? Not so fair and balanced I feel.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 3:37 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

So many posts and so much nonsense, where to begin?

A site set up to convert is hardly an independent analysis likely to persuade any but those already convinced.
Marxism where did that come from? For the record I'm pretty far to the right. I do however believe strongly in social responsibility and noblesse oblige.

All religions evolved to answer questions which at the time couldn't be answered. As mans knowledge has increased over the millennia so have these questions and needs decreased.

God is no longer needed to explain the dawn or seasons, solar eclipses or lightning. It is no mere accident that the more scientifically literate the community the lower the number of religious believers becomes.

Some will argue and I can concede that there are a couple of questions left for god.
Where did the singularity that led to the Big Bang come from? Ill concede this is a question that allows for god still but only because science is a few thousand years behind religion on this one. Give it another 20 years and I'm confident that this one too will be dismissed.

Ill also conceded that the question why are we here is a valid one to some.
Human consciousness is so remarkable a thing that I will concede that most will find it difficult to comprehend that the vastness of time can randomly lead to a self questioning and examining creature.
I personally subscribe to the belief that its perfectly possible via randomness and time to evolve human consciousness and that we are here like every creature to procreate and pass on our genes only. Everything in excess of that is a bonus and a result of that evolutionary drive taken to a remarkable level.

Given that science has been a minority pursuit ( and oft persecuted one) for a relatively short period of time it is truely remarkable that we have come so far in so short a time.

The really remarkable thing is that despite so many questions now having been answered and that our world is a scientific and technological one, that religion still exists at all. So many of the answers are now available that it takes willful ignorance to ignore them and still require god.

If, as the religious would have you believe, god created mans mind, then he also created his ultimate destruction
Old Feb 27th 2013, 4:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

This is getting really ****ing stupid.

Afraid of the seed of truth that might be planted, perhaps? At least disprove the claims and expose the supposed falsehood that it promulgates so that we can lay this debate to rest once and for all.
Religion is the party that needs to prove it's existence. There is no hard evidence that anything in any religious book is fact. You need to full understand those two sentences, really and truly understand them, before asking me to prove religion is based on nothing. Please, re-read them to make sure you have taken them in fully.

Originally Posted by Desert Dubliner
Ok, let's try something different following the atheists' logic. So religion is generally bad because wars were waged in it's name. I presume war itself is not a problem but sufferings brought upon others. Wars were waged even though through the teachings of Christ and as written in the New Testament, Christianity at least, renounced violence and adopted 'turn the other cheek' doctrine. Nevertheless this does not matter to anyone it seems, and the conclusion remains that the religion is bad (all of it even though some religions did not cause much if any harm). Fine.

This brings me to the BLAH.
I'm not interested in reading more of what you post when you roundly ignore the fact that I've closed this debate no less than three times now. Religion/War/Non Religion/War. It's been cleared up. Please.

Note:

No, I do not believe in repeating statements, but I am trained to ask the questions as many times as needed until it is answered.

So let's start again, because there is no answer to the following: I've definitely answered this before...ina roundabout way

why are atheist necessarily better than religious people because they don't wage wars against religions (except on forum boards) when it is true without doubt that some prominent atheists committed some of the worst crimes in history? That's pushing it for what has been said. I need you to re-read my post. I think the key issue is that people see war as bad. Agreed? War for territory, wealth, something to do, all bad. Agreed? War for religion and for crusades for religious sites would not happen if religion didn't exist. Agreed? War will exist regardless and counting bodies to say that religion is better or worse is pointless, because war is bad full stop - we agreed that are the start, right?

and secondly, what is the difference between an religious person killing someone in the name of religion and an atheist killing someone for whatever reason?Nothing, it's bad. Except it can be argues (as above) that if religion didn't exist, the second person didn't need to be killed...Agreed?
[QUOTE=Ajeeb;10571659]
Originally Posted by Kix
Erm, surely an atheist doesn't have any beliefs. that's the point!

Regardless, are you afraid that reading the booklet will challenge your own disbelief?
Reading a booklet aimed at converting people like you from either another religion or no religion is hardly a great place to start if you wanted to learn more about a religion is it?

Why did you convert by the way? You said that Christianity was flawed, what were the flaws? What didn't you like about it? What if you find similar flaws in the Qu'ran? What if you find Islam to not be what you thought it was? What if it doesn't answer questions in the long-run for you?

He gets it alright, he just wants to play dumb and deny the truth.
I'm pretty sure you're not being a good Muslim by insulting and judging people.

In fact, I'm certain.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 4:29 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

What do you mean by atheists not starting wars? What about Hitler (though atheists will claim he was religious)? What about waging war on own population like Pol Pot and Mao. Pol Pot has overshadowed in relative terms any religious mass-murdering leader in the history and Mao beats everyone in absolute terms. Not every atheist is good in nature.
Have you actually read Mein Kampf? Hitler was very clear he was doing god's work in standing against the Jew. He wrote that he wished Germans had adopted Islam as they would have conquered half the world. He was critical of Christianity for being weak and passive yet German soldiers went to war with 'God mitt uns'(God with us) on their belt buckles. Hitler was not an atheist, he was an insane theist who swapped class for race.

Mao, Stalin and Pol Pot were communists. Communism is an evil Marxism ideology...god or not it was never going to turn out well. Atheism is not the premise of Communism (class, nation and a complete unwillingness to accept human nature and work with it are).

Atheists are a mixed bunch like most other groups. I think it's a poor debate to declare they are better or worse. Atheism only means no belief in gods or god. It says nothing about ideology, morals or political beliefs. Comparison to any religion is nonsensical since atheism is not a religion anymore than bald is a hair colour.

N.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 5:01 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

It does not bother me at all. It is just that much of your own morality is derived from or matches the Christian morals.
You'll find the Golden Rule in the writings of Confucius long before Christ was meant to have come out with it...morality based on empathy and occasionally thinking a bit about others is not exclusive to Christianity.

I will give you this. Christ as presented in the New Testament is infinitely a more moral character than Mohammed or Moses. I don't know if he existed like the others and don't care. If a Christian follows Christ more than he or she follows the church I really have no problem with them and would defend such a person (I'd have to because they would be pacifists with bruised cheeks!).

N.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by redShark
Ok, let me see how many of the self proclaimed atheistes on here are of the first category:
If your little loved one is lying on a hospital bed fighting for his/her life , would you go "Please God help me" ????
No, you seem to suggest that people only believe in God because they are afraid of dying. This would be weakness and delusion in my eyes...

Am happy to take God's name in vain though - since I don't believe in him/it/them.

If I had to choose a deity I'd pick the Norse gods - so much more in line with my culture than middle eastern desert gods who seem to be preoccupied with who I sleep with, what I eat and if I pray to them or not. Sounds like a spoiled child.

N.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 5:19 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

As said, these discussions tend to be perpetual. Have a read of the tiny booklet below. It will answer many of your questions. At the very least, skim through the table of contents. The book talks about some of the evidence for the truth of Islam as well as some of the benefits of Islam. Peace.

http://www.islam-guide.com/islam-guide.pdf
I had a quick look at this. If these are your best examples of scientific accuracy then you'd be better of keeping quiet about it
Old Feb 27th 2013, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in the West, and I, like many converts have turned away from Christianity as I've found it flawed and insufficient. I've turned towards Islam; this is despite all the propoganda about 9/11 and 7/7/07, etc. I think if the information we received about Islam was fair and balanced even more people would be accepting Islam.

The fact that you equate marrying a non-Muslim to marrying a criminal or gang member says a lot about you / your Islamic beliefs.

If women can't marry outside Islam why are men allowed to? It is pretty obvious the reason men are allowed to is because Islam is a tribal patriarchal religion. It is tribal/jungle law mentality that seeks to keep women of one's ethnic group soley for the men of said ethnic group but seeks out to 'acquire' women of other ethnic groups.

I know of Muslim men and women in the West who are nominal Muslims or have left Islam for all intents and purposes except for officially renouncing the religion, and the reason for not renouncing is the intimidation/threats from the Muslim community.

Any religion that seeks to maintain its hold on adherents with threats of force/death is not a moral or humane religion.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 6:04 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Any religion that seeks to maintain its hold on adherents with threats of force/death is not a moral or humane religion.
^^^^^^ What he said!
Old Feb 27th 2013, 6:23 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
No, you seem to suggest that people only believe in God because they are afraid of dying. This would be weakness and delusion in my eyes...

Am happy to take God's name in vain though - since I don't believe in him/it/them.

If I had to choose a deity I'd pick the Norse gods - so much more in line with my culture than middle eastern desert gods who seem to be preoccupied with who I sleep with, what I eat and if I pray to them or not. Sounds like a spoiled child.

N.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 6:28 am
Shark Fisherman

Ajeeb, you was doing so well with your copy and paste answers from websites, though now you show your true colours. So am I a criminal, Drug addict or gang member?? Do you not believe that people could actually marry for love? For happiness? do you think an imaginary god can give more than a husband who clothes you, feeds you and takes you on holidays?

You might as well pray facing Necker as I am sure you have more chance of Richard Branson answering your prayers than a pedophile desert nomad.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 8:00 am
Just Joined

markdyson is an unknown quantity at this point

I know very little about religion, but how someone can just stop believing in something and start believing in something completely different is very strange in my opinion.

How can someone say that all of a sudden a religion has become flawed and join another?

Its like me saying, Man Utd have sold all their best players, I'm going to support Man City...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.