Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Anyone got a tank for sale in Riyadh

Anyone got a tank for sale in Riyadh

Old May 19th 2009, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

simple2204 is a name known to allsimple2204 is a name known to allsimple2204 is a name known to allsimple2204 is a name known to allsimple2204 is a name known to allsimple2204 is a name known to allsimple2204 is a name known to allsimple2204 is a name known to allsimple2204 is a name known to allsimple2204 is a name known to allsimple2204 is a name known to all
Default Anyone got a tank for sale in Riyadh

I have just got back from a visit before moving and i have never been scared in a car before and that all changed within 30 minutes on Riyadh's roads......
How long does it take to get used to driving in Riyadh....any experience anyone?
Old May 19th 2009, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

mysharona has much to be proud ofmysharona has much to be proud ofmysharona has much to be proud ofmysharona has much to be proud ofmysharona has much to be proud ofmysharona has much to be proud ofmysharona has much to be proud ofmysharona has much to be proud ofmysharona has much to be proud ofmysharona has much to be proud ofmysharona has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anyone got a tank for sale in Riyadh

Don't know about Riyadh, but for me the Sheik Zayed Road in Dubai took about a month of really getting used to (undertaking, half of the other drivers on a phone, random lane changes etc). I don't think I moved out of the first three lanes in the first two weeks.

Fortunately though now I can change 5 lanes without indicating (or looking at any mirrors), can perform an almost emergency stop for speed cameras, put my hazards on ONLY when its raining and feel pretty much at home .

Seriously though, it does get easier.
Old May 20th 2009, 5:34 am
Banned

eylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to all

Easy, drive it like you stole it.

Enter roundabouts pretending not to look to your left, keeps them guessing.

Ignore everything in your peripheral vision and try never to turn your head.
That will be taken for a sign of weakness and will be immediately exploited.

Feel free to cut up any honky expat, he'll always give way.

Same applies to Asians driving big Mercs etc, rarely their own cars so would get shit if damaged.

Always expect the unexpected including cars seemingly falling from the sky, happened to me once!

When I first arrived in Saudi it was the end of road traffic week and they had decided to leave every wreck as was.
I thought I was coming into a war zone, there were cars hanging off bridges, half way up lamp posts,
teetering on barriers.
They'd even balanced a wrecked range Rover on 3 oil drums as a warning to other drivers, of what I'm still not sure.
Old May 20th 2009, 10:27 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by simple2204
I have just got back from a visit before moving and i have never been scared in a car before and that all changed within 30 minutes on Riyadh's roads......
How long does it take to get used to driving in Riyadh....any experience anyone?

after riding motorcycles to work for a couple of years in india, this place is a breeze!

think of it your dull and boring commute just became an extreme sport, dude!
Old May 20th 2009, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Roundabouts - what are they ? Saudi must be the only country in the world where cars on the roundabout stop to let people on . . . . bizaare. And of course if you want to turn left don't bother going all the way round (like a normal person would) just turn left and go the wrong way - same for roads, if it's quicker to get to where you want to be by driving down the road in the wrong direction, well, who's going to stop you ? Traffic lights on red ? Inshallah I will get through unscathed anyway . . . .

Enjoy
N
Old May 20th 2009, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

simple2204 is a name known to allsimple2204 is a name known to allsimple2204 is a name known to allsimple2204 is a name known to allsimple2204 is a name known to allsimple2204 is a name known to allsimple2204 is a name known to allsimple2204 is a name known to allsimple2204 is a name known to allsimple2204 is a name known to allsimple2204 is a name known to all

Thank you all for filling me with joy

Nic1 i heard that the reason for all the current roadworks is so they can take out all the traffic lights anyway, no one seemed to pay attention to them so not a bad thing!!

Still.Unsure - like your thinking buddy...i think Hummer instead of Mustang coming up

eylesda - Thanks for the tips, so basically i drive like the BMW W**nkers on the M25 during rush hour, that i think i can do

mysharona i heard the places were similar so thanks for the response although i think you started showing off just a little bit

Thanks for all the responses though guys
Old May 20th 2009, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by eylesda
Easy, drive it like you stole it.

Enter roundabouts pretending not to look to your left, keeps them guessing.

Ignore everything in your peripheral vision and try never to turn your head.
That will be taken for a sign of weakness and will be immediately exploited.

Feel free to cut up any honky expat, he'll always give way.

Same applies to Asians driving big Mercs etc, rarely their own cars so would get shit if damaged.

Always expect the unexpected including cars seemingly falling from the sky, happened to me once!

When I first arrived in Saudi it was the end of road traffic week and they had decided to leave every wreck as was.
I thought I was coming into a war zone, there were cars hanging off bridges, half way up lamp posts,
teetering on barriers.
They'd even balanced a wrecked range Rover on 3 oil drums as a warning to other drivers, of what I'm still not sure.
Car falling from the sky, this i gotta hear!!!!!
Old May 20th 2009, 11:29 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Nic1
Roundabouts - what are they ? Saudi must be the only country in the world where cars on the roundabout stop to let people on . . . . bizaare. And of course if you want to turn left don't bother going all the way round (like a normal person would) just turn left and go the wrong way - same for roads, if it's quicker to get to where you want to be by driving down the road in the wrong direction, well, who's going to stop you ? Traffic lights on red ? Inshallah I will get through unscathed anyway . . . .

Enjoy
N
think of it this way, you either want to be unscathed, or killed out right. heaven help you if you need an bloody ambulance!

my favourite is cutting across 3 lanes of traffic on the motorway to get to the off-ramp you're just about to miss. (the girl reckon's i'll get my saudi citizenship just for the way i drive!)
Old May 20th 2009, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Hey good luck. It DOES get easier.
Old May 20th 2009, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

On our road they've just put in a new set of lights and a new roundabout - it's more dangerous now than it was before. But at least it's stopped the zig zagging thing that goes on (can't remember what it's called) - they now do it on a new road that's just been built - definitely one to be avoided.

N
Old May 20th 2009, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Nic1
On our road they've just put in a new set of lights and a new roundabout - it's more dangerous now than it was before. But at least it's stopped the zig zagging thing that goes on (can't remember what it's called) - they now do it on a new road that's just been built - definitely one to be avoided.

N
where's the new roundabout?
Old May 20th 2009, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Next to Kudu - so all the loonies go round the roundabout the wrong way and then down the road the wrong way to get to Kudu - idiots! Been there for a couple of months now I guess - and it still confuses them . . . .
Old May 20th 2009, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

mysharona has much to be proud ofmysharona has much to be proud ofmysharona has much to be proud ofmysharona has much to be proud ofmysharona has much to be proud ofmysharona has much to be proud ofmysharona has much to be proud ofmysharona has much to be proud ofmysharona has much to be proud ofmysharona has much to be proud ofmysharona has much to be proud of

=
mysharona i heard the places were similar so thanks for the response although i think you started showing off just a little bit
I promise, in two months time you will think nothing of reversing down an six lane highway because you missed your turn and realise that a seatbelt is only there to keep your parcels from falling off the passenger seat .

All the best with your move, I hope all goes well.