British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Anyone fancy boycotting Qatar Airways? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/anyone-fancy-boycotting-qatar-airways-536021/)

The Dean May 12th 2008 3:24 pm

Anyone fancy boycotting Qatar Airways?

... with this sort of complacent attitude, that's what they deserve...... (report taken from the AME Info website)

Customers to pay for $200 oil, says Qatar Airways CEO

Qatar Airways customers can expect higher ticket prices if oil prices continue to climb. When asked by AME Info how the airline's expansion plans would be affected if oil prices reached $200 a barrel, Akbar Al Baker, the carrier's CEO said: 'We will still expand because the rising fuel costs will be transferred to you as a passenger. It's as simple as that. Because at the end of the day, we have to make money, and we will then let you pay for it. And you have to travel, because there is no more efficient or better means of travel than air travel.'

:mad:

Slingshot May 12th 2008 3:31 pm

Re: Anyone fancy boycotting Qatar Airways?

Emirates are no better. they hiked up their fares last month and are doing so again from this weekend - again blaming the ever increasing cost of oil.

W10 May 12th 2008 3:35 pm

Whats wrong with that? It might be a bit blunt, but its the truth. And thats kind of the way Al Baker is. He also says Qatar may launch a low cost airline, despite the fact he doesn't like them.

Would you rather they lied and made up a story about an increase in government fees/salary/taxes or something? Would it make you feel better?

The Dean May 12th 2008 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by W10 (Post 6340427)
Whats wrong with that? It might be a bit blunt, but its the truth. And thats kind of the way Al Baker is. He also says Qatar may launch a low cost airline, despite the fact he doesn't like them.

Would you rather they lied and made up a story about an increase in government fees/salary/taxes or something? Would it make you feel better?

Nonsense.

More than ever before, 'hedging' against fuel price increases is going to become a prerequisite. They should all be doing it anyway (I heard that Etihad had bought call options at USD105 when spot was in the low-90s, but that could be market grapevine crap).

If one airline takes steps to protect itself against higher fuel costs, and another doesn't, that saving can be passed on in ticketing and fares.

Then A.N.Other Airways will get the business that Qatar won't.

I don't care, but I am aware of plenty of firms who have hedged, or are intending to, against higher oil prices.

Qatar can rot in hell.

Shame - I heard they were quite good, but obviously not thanks to the moron who runs the company.

CeeBee May 12th 2008 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 6340389)
... with this sort of complacent attitude, that's what they deserve...... (report taken from the AME Info website)

Customers to pay for $200 oil, says Qatar Airways CEO

Qatar Airways customers can expect higher ticket prices if oil prices continue to climb. When asked by AME Info how the airline's expansion plans would be affected if oil prices reached $200 a barrel, Akbar Al Baker, the carrier's CEO said: 'We will still expand because the rising fuel costs will be transferred to you as a passenger. It's as simple as that. Because at the end of the day, we have to make money, and we will then let you pay for it. And you have to travel, because there is no more efficient or better means of travel than air travel.'

:mad:

B.A have also just announced similar increases on long haul flights. Approx £126 per journey i've just read.

seven seas May 12th 2008 5:46 pm

Does anyone think companies exist to serve their needs?

LOL

The Dean May 12th 2008 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by seven seas (Post 6340818)
Does anyone think companies exist to serve their needs?

LOL

No of course not - but that's the point of competition......

Live for now May 13th 2008 3:54 am

Originally Posted by CeeBee (Post 6340492)
B.A have also just announced similar increases on long haul flights. Approx £126 per journey i've just read.

Not saying its acceptable but if they buy at UK prices maybe we can understand that a bit more!

W10 May 13th 2008 12:00 pm

Is the price of oil different in the UK?

W10 May 13th 2008 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 6341154)
No of course not - but that's the point of competition......

Competition doesn't drive the cost of oil down.

And you can only hedge so much, which is what most airlines do.

Would you be happy if you hedged all of your fuel needs six months into the future?

CeeBee May 13th 2008 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by W10 (Post 6344033)
Is the price of oil different in the UK?

Some of the oil bods on here should be able to clarify. is it not just agreed in $? Obviously exchange rate fluctuations would be taken into account.

W10 May 13th 2008 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 6340445)
Qatar can rot in hell.

Shame - I heard they were quite good.

This just in. Man who never flew Qatar stages boycott.

W10 May 13th 2008 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by CeeBee (Post 6344052)
Some of the oil bods on here should be able to clarify. is it not just agreed in $? Obviously exchange rate fluctuations would be taken into account.

It was a rhetorical question, oil is bought on the open market (and often hedged). Emirates operate in the same fuel marketplace as British Airways as American Airlines