British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Anyone expats in Dubai willing to share advice on moving out there via email? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/anyone-expats-dubai-willing-share-advice-moving-out-there-via-email-554584/)

mcgeemr Aug 11th 2008 1:21 pm

Anyone expats in Dubai willing to share advice on moving out there via email?

Hi - we are a married couple in our 30's thinking about moving out to Dubai for a year or two to work.
I am not really used to using forums but really need advice about moving from the UK to Dubai so if anyone is willing to discuss offline through email...or on the forum that would be great.
Is it still really an amazing place to work and live? We really only want to come out and work for 1 or two years. My husband is a database administrator for a financial company and I am a computing science (human computer interaction) researcher and lecturer at a UK university. Would it better/easier for me to get a job and a visa as a woman then my husband can get a job out there?
Also - what is the cost if living like these days? And where are the best places to live (and the ones to avoid)?
Lastly - should I be worried as a blonde blue eyed woman working in computing science or is all that bad stuff I have read a load of rubbish?
Thanks for any help.
Marilyn

Confucius Aug 11th 2008 5:09 pm

Re: Anyone expats in Dubai willing to share advice on moving out there via email?

Usually people are coming into Dubai either by direct flights or via a reliable stopover...Noone has ever come here via email...
But there's a first time for everything...It might hurt the first time but you'll like it...

mcgeemr Aug 11th 2008 7:05 pm

Re: Anyone expats in Dubai willing to share advice on moving out there via email?

Originally Posted by Confucius (Post 6669368)
Usually people are coming into Dubai either by direct flights or via a reliable stopover...Noone has ever come here via email...
But there's a first time for everything...It might hurt the first time but you'll like it...

Thanks for that useful reply ; (
Maybe my parsing isn't quite right for forums....maybe I will stick to what I know.

Autonomy Aug 11th 2008 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by mcgeemr (Post 6669649)
Maybe my parsing isn't quite right for forums....maybe I will stick to what I know.

Confi should feel bad for this.... stick with it. Try some site searches first and also some peeps here should help....

Madam Medusa Aug 11th 2008 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by mcgeemr (Post 6669649)

ohhh, just ignore that comment, you'll grow to love confucius, i promise...

do a search on here, there's loads of info...then ask questions on what you can't find out. I think it's an amazing place to live, but it's a love it or hate it kinda place, so you should come and see for yourselves...

MM, xx

lionheart Aug 12th 2008 4:39 am

If you are only coming for 1-2 years, don't expect to avoid having to pay Income Tax upon your return.

BangleMan Aug 12th 2008 4:46 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 6670869)
If you are only coming for 1-2 years, don't expect to avoid having to pay Income Tax upon your return.

You only have to be out of the UK for a financial tax year to avoid any tax payment when you return...

The Dean Aug 12th 2008 4:46 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 6670869)

True, but tax on what, exactly?

"Well Mr Taxman, my total earnings while I was out of the UK were less than five thousand pounds.................."