Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Anyone else noticed the strange disappearance of...

Anyone else noticed the strange disappearance of...

Old Jan 17th 2011, 7:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone else noticed the strange disappearance of...

I must admit I do enjoy my little taxi journeys everyday- I can improve my Hindi and they all seem to think Im some sort of celebrity! Had a lovely one this morning who hasn't seen his wife or kids for 3 years- very sad- but still they are chirpy- makes you realize how lucky you are. The odd stinky one but they seem to take it in good humour when you open the window!

On the other hand I want to be able to go out and get lost- do a bit of exploring- which as much as the taxi drivers do tend to get lost every now and again its not quite what Im after. And I miss driving- always enjoyed plodding about on my own singing loud, feeling the wind in my hair.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 7:43 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Well, this is what happened to me this morning on Business Bay Crossing:

I'm in the leftmost lane, hurtling along at 110 km. A fool in a Prado with Sharjah plates comes flying up behind me and before I can even move over he flashes his lights a few times. Rather arrogantly.

I had planned to move once I saw him but over but resolve got to me when he flashed, and I ignored him. Besides there were other cars in front of me too and was he going to flash every single one of them?

The Prado tailgates me for about five minutes before finally giving up and he moves around me by cutting in front of the car in the central lane then cutting again in front of me and STEPS ON HIS BRAKES.

He drops his speed down to about 80km. I keep a safe distance behind him because I know if I change lanes he'll follow suit in his attempt to teach me a lesson.

A minute later he has a change of heart and cuts back into the centre lane and cuts again into the left lane and without slowing down cuts once more into an exit ramp off Business Bay towards Festival City. All this is in five seconds or thereabouts.

There's something to be said about sticking to taxis.
so you were speeding and you complain about him speeding? mmm.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 7:54 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't care if he was speeding. It's his attempt to play games with me and to teach me a lesson for not moving over is what I'm complaining about.

Besides, 110km in a 100k is hardly excessive speeding. That's about as fast as I will go.

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
so you were speeding and you complain about him speeding? mmm.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 8:00 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
I don't care if he was speeding. It's his attempt to play games with me and to teach me a lesson for not moving over is what I'm complaining about.

Besides, 110km in a 100k is hardly excessive speeding. That's about as fast as I will go.
you are so easy to wind up! in future use your hazard lights when they try tailgating you, works for me