British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Anyone else noticed the strange disappearance of... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/anyone-else-noticed-strange-disappearance-700917/)

auzdafluff Jan 16th 2011 7:02 pm

Anyone else noticed the strange disappearance of...

...the morning taxi?

Is it just me or is it getting harder and harder to get a cab in the morning?

I'm dreading summer if it is like this now. I spent about an hour waiting for a cab this morning. In fact, I ended up walking to the metro and taking that to Nakheel and flagging a cab down there, but that was only after it was 9am and I was already late.

Anyway, anyone else noticed this, or is it just me?

Spugsy Jan 16th 2011 7:03 pm

Re: Anyone else noticed the strange disappearance of...

Originally Posted by auzdafluff (Post 9106058)
...the morning taxi?

I'm dreading summer if it is like this now. I spent about an hour waiting for a cab this morning. In fact, I ended up walking to the metro and taking that to Nakheel and flagging a cab down there, but that was only after it was 9am and I was already late.

took me 40 mins this morning in disco gardens and tonight at 10/11ish there was loads and loads.

Blue Cat Jan 17th 2011 2:05 am

taxi fares are going up 7% as well :huh:

auzdafluff Jan 17th 2011 2:51 am

I'm already spending about 500-700 a month on cabs. And that's without even counting going to the mall or getting around the city at the weekend. At this rate, I might as well look at renting a Yaris or something similar.

lionheart Jan 17th 2011 3:18 am

Originally Posted by auzdafluff (Post 9106058)
...the morning taxi?

Why don't you book one?

kittycat1 Jan 17th 2011 3:33 am

Nope- I've been fine- theres always 6 or 7 sitting outside my building from about 6am- 9am.

When I get back from hols I'll be renting a car though- time to face Dubai traffic! :blink:

Ethos83 Jan 17th 2011 4:04 am

Let's say you spend 1,000 dhs a month on taxis.

Compare that to renting a Yaris. Cheapest monthly rent + petrol + salik will run you at least 2,000 dhs a month. Add to that a few hundred for still taking taxis to bars/restaurants where you will be drinking.

You're better off with taxis, however there's nothing like having your own car at your beck and call.

Originally Posted by auzdafluff (Post 9107018)
I'm already spending about 500-700 a month on cabs. And that's without even counting going to the mall or getting around the city at the weekend. At this rate, I might as well look at renting a Yaris or something similar.

MacScot Jan 17th 2011 5:44 am

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 9107127)
Let's say you spend 1,000 dhs a month on taxis.

Compare that to renting a Yaris. Cheapest monthly rent + petrol + salik will run you at least 2,000 dhs a month. Add to that a few hundred for still taking taxis to bars/restaurants where you will be drinking.

You're better off with taxis, however there's nothing like having your own car at your beck and call.

True. I rent a Ford focus (67 dirhams a day or AED2010.00/month)..so taking taxis would be about two-thirds (or more if you count petrol) cheaper.

Spugsy Jan 17th 2011 5:47 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9106950)
taxi fares are going up 7% as well :huh:

good.

Spugsy Jan 17th 2011 5:47 am

I spend about AED 2,500.

lionheart Jan 17th 2011 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9107222)
I spend about AED 2,500.

Make that AED2,675 from when the price hike takes effect.:)

lionheart Jan 17th 2011 5:57 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9107077)
Nope- I've been fine- theres always 6 or 7 sitting outside my building from about 6am- 9am. When I get back from hols I'll be renting a car though- time to face Dubai traffic! :blink:

Oh my God...please warn us in plenty of time. You have your UAE licence sorted?

Blue Cat Jan 17th 2011 5:59 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9107221)
good.

for some, not others, when we need to use one we prefer the limo hire anyway ;)

kittycat1 Jan 17th 2011 7:01 am

Thank you Lionheart- i will have you know I am a very competent driver- i've only ever had one accident (touch wood) and it wasn't my fault- the other driver was about 80 and had a glass eye and drove straight into me- volvo meets original mini=squished mini! :( I loved that little car!

However I am kinda scared shitless! I've been driving in London for the last 10 years so am not some Sunday country driver- although I do realize here is differentto London brmmm brrmmmm

Ethos83 Jan 17th 2011 7:16 am

Well, this is what happened to me this morning on Business Bay Crossing:

I'm in the leftmost lane, hurtling along at 110 km. A fool in a Prado with Sharjah plates comes flying up behind me and before I can even move over he flashes his lights a few times. Rather arrogantly.

I had planned to move once I saw him but over but resolve got to me when he flashed, and I ignored him. Besides there were other cars in front of me too and was he going to flash every single one of them?

The Prado tailgates me for about five minutes before finally giving up and he moves around me by cutting in front of the car in the central lane then cutting again in front of me and STEPS ON HIS BRAKES.

He drops his speed down to about 80km. I keep a safe distance behind him because I know if I change lanes he'll follow suit in his attempt to teach me a lesson.

A minute later he has a change of heart and cuts back into the centre lane and cuts again into the left lane and without slowing down cuts once more into an exit ramp off Business Bay towards Festival City. All this is in five seconds or thereabouts.

There's something to be said about sticking to taxis.

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9107291)
Thank you Lionheart- i will have you know I am a very competent driver- i've only ever had one accident (touch wood) and it wasn't my fault- the other driver was about 80 and had a glass eye and drove straight into me- volvo meets original mini=squished mini! :( I loved that little car!

However I am kinda scared shitless! I've been driving in London for the last 10 years so am not some Sunday country driver- although I do realize here is differentto London brmmm brrmmmm