British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Anyone else noticed.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/anyone-else-noticed-737426/)

Spugsy Oct 31st 2011 12:55 pm

Anyone else noticed....

....that there's not many cabs around?

Yesterday I walked three k's and spent 45 mins trying to get one at Disco Gardens, and there's usually LOADS around.

Driver reckons its quiet cos it's the morning and a driver told mrs spugsy near the end of the month they have hit their quote so don't bother themselves.

Anyone noticed this?

mentalist Oct 31st 2011 1:05 pm

Re: Anyone else noticed....

Tomorrow it will be free to travel by public transport (not taxis) so why not get on the bus or Metro, mate.:thumbup:

Spugsy Oct 31st 2011 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 9706188)
Tomorrow it will be free to travel by public transport (not taxis) so why not get on the bus or Metro, mate.:thumbup:

Because the nearest one to me is miles away so I still have to cab to teh metro and cab from teh metro to work.

auzdafluff Nov 1st 2011 3:55 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9706177)
....that there's not many cabs around?

Yesterday I walked three k's and spent 45 mins trying to get one at Disco Gardens, and there's usually LOADS around.

Driver reckons its quiet cos it's the morning and a driver told mrs spugsy near the end of the month they have hit their quote so don't bother themselves.

Anyone noticed this?

I always found that if there was a major accident on SZR in the morning, there was a massive drop off in the number of cabs available around the Marina/JBR area.

TGFKASE Nov 1st 2011 6:36 am

Same up around AR, GCW area..

Couple of months ago, no problem getting a cab, now??

Dunno whats happened but it aint just you wondering, Spugs..

kittycat1 Nov 1st 2011 6:51 am

I read this yesterday and thought- no change at all, then left work at 8.30 last night and had to wait half an hour for a cab- at a taxi rank... was not a happy bunny! No problems in the mornings though.

You know the number you can call for a cab- does anyone else find this during peak periods is absolutely useless?

LaLaLayla Nov 1st 2011 9:17 am

I always call Dubai Taxi when I need a cab. It is computer based and they know where you live, so it's like "press 1 for a taxi from Layla's place now or press 2 for a taxi from somewhere else".

They are very reliable and only once was one late.

Tel: 04 208 0808.

Spugsy Nov 1st 2011 10:34 am

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla (Post 9707874)
I always call Dubai Taxi when I need a cab. It is computer based and they know where you live, so it's like "press 1 for a taxi from Layla's place now or press 2 for a taxi from somewhere else".

That's who I use and if I call one in the morning they actually don't turn up or ring me at work at 10.30 to say 'taxi sir'

LaLaLayla Nov 1st 2011 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9708038)
That's who I use and if I call one in the morning they actually don't turn up or ring me at work at 10.30 to say 'taxi sir'

Really? Oh dear - I feel bad for recommending them now :D

seven seas Nov 1st 2011 5:47 pm

Anyone else ask others at taxi ranks where they're all going so they can share taxis?

kittycat1 Nov 1st 2011 5:50 pm

I have done here (always used to in London) but found you are looked at with utter disgust here and was also told off by the taxi queue security man so don't bother anymore.

norsk Nov 1st 2011 7:13 pm

If you combine the difficulty of getting a taxi with the fact that they all drive like f.cuking lunatics this fully explains why I think having your own car in Dubai is well worth it!

Taxi drivers and (white) expat women are by far the most dangerous drivers on the roads here in my opinion :o

by the way the above statement is not meant in a sexist way or anything but i have never seen such crazy driving from women anywhere before. i have been nearly run off the road, given the finger and flashed by crazy ladies with their kids in the back. is there something in the water or something?

OleJanx Nov 1st 2011 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9708773)
I have done here (always used to in London) but found you are looked at with utter disgust here and was also told off by the taxi queue security man so don't bother anymore.

How much does that Jeep Mangler seem more attractive now, KC1?

kittycat1 Nov 2nd 2011 5:16 am

True Janxy, My problem is whenever I get around to sorting a car out I'm always having a bad day and being melodramatic and thinking I can't last a second longer here so I put it off, then get too busy, then travel, then come back- tell myself I must get a car sorted then have a bad day, decide I've had enough and I'm offski, then I get too busy - you get the drift- can someone just do it all for me please- buying cars and sorting out holiday insurance are what men are for!

Patsy Stoned Nov 2nd 2011 5:28 am

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla (Post 9707874)

I use a private car company if I am going out in the evenings, they are very reliable, clean, and excellent drivers. They cost a bit more but are worth the stress free drive and arriving somewhere on time :D