Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Anyone climbed up mount Everest before?

Anyone climbed up mount Everest before?

Old Aug 8th 2013, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

redShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to all
Default Anyone climbed up mount Everest before?

If someone out there has done that and reached the top then let me tell him that I know the feeling. Because today, the first day of Eid when I woke up in the morning I felt a euphoria much similar to the feeling of someone who has just set foot on the summit of Everest. As I looked back at the past 30 days of fasting I thought to myself…wow!, I’ve just managed an 18 hours daily regime of no food or drink, day in and day out, and for one complete month...boy…was it worth it!!!..my God yes.

Congratulation to all those who have managed to do the same, and rest assured that your pension fund in the life after has just received a big boost, and Eid Mubarek to all.

Interesting conversation I had when I was at a mosque for Eid prayers today when I said to a person sitting next to me, ‘imagine, Ramadan is finished!’, He went ‘Not really, more likely we are finished, because for sure Ramadan will be back same time next year, but are we certain we will be round same time next year?’
Old Aug 8th 2013, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone climbed up mount Everest before?

Nope, not climbed it.

I don't get the fascination with wanting to climb Everest in particular, sure it is the highest but there are plenty of other high mountains, so is it just an ego trip ??? People even speak of "conquering" Everest; just comes across as egotistic .
Old Aug 8th 2013, 7:35 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Nope, not climbed it.

I don't get the fascination with wanting to climb Everest in particular, sure it is the highest but there are plenty of other high mountains, so is it just an ego trip ??? People even speak of "conquering" Everest; just comes across as egotistic .
Because its the highest mountain on earth, so of course it's egotistical to want to conquer it. It takes a whole load of willpower and hard cash!

Anyway, as for fasting, I just don't get what it actually proves? We are all humans and by design can last for a certain length of time without eating. What do they want, a ****ing medal? Its a month when the majority in dubai slip into a basic level of kindness shown by most people on earth 12months a year.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 8:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redShark
If someone out there has done that and reached the top then let me tell him that I know the feeling. Because today, the first day of Eid when I woke up in the morning I felt a euphoria much similar to the feeling of someone who has just set foot on the summit of Everest. As I looked back at the past 30 days of fasting I thought to myself…wow!, I’ve just managed an 18 hours daily regime of no food or drink, day in and day out, and for one complete month...boy…was it worth it!!!..my God yes.

Congratulation to all those who have managed to do the same, and rest assured that your pension fund in the life after has just received a big boost, and Eid Mubarek to all.

Interesting conversation I had when I was at a mosque for Eid prayers today when I said to a person sitting next to me, ‘imagine, Ramadan is finished!’, He went ‘Not really, more likely we are finished, because for sure Ramadan will be back same time next year, but are we certain we will be round same time next year?’
".......your pension fund in the life after has just received a big boost........."

No it hasn't - and you are probably now much closer to diabetes than you were a month ago.

Last edited by The Dean; Aug 8th 2013 at 8:25 am. Reason: ...
Old Aug 8th 2013, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

DesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you mean, I had that same euphoric feeling once while sitting on the rooftop of a hotel in Kathmandu with a perfect view of Mt Everest. I was as high a himalayan mountain.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

18 hours, my arse. It's just a case of skipping breakfast and rescheduling lunch and dinner. A piece of cake really. No idea what all the fuss is about.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 11:47 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mentalist
18 hours, my arse. It's just a case of skipping breakfast and rescheduling lunch and dinner. A piece of cake really. No idea what all the fuss is about.
Yep, I've had to try to sleep through ****ing parties and ****ing kids running round till 2 in the morning. When I went to the airport earlier this month (around mid-morning) my assigned driver couldn't keep his eyes open so I ended up driving.

Having said that, there are some extremely diligent local staff in our office who, without apparent complaint and with good spirit, have worked throughout Ramadan from 7 till 2. All credit to them.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 10:24 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

How the hell can you compare skipping a few meals with climbing the Highest mountain in the world? Moron.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 10:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I do not do Everest - or Ramadan. Nor do I subscribe to the legalistic theology that teaches you get brownie points in the next world for good deeds in this !
Old Aug 10th 2013, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
No it hasn't - and you are probably now much closer to diabetes than you were a month ago.
Wow! It sounds pretty bad.

http://www.ansamed.info/ansamed/en/n...131156617.html
Old Aug 10th 2013, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
I do not do Everest - or Ramadan. Nor do I subscribe to the legalistic theology that teaches you get brownie points in the next world for good deeds in this !
If such a thing existed in the afterlife , the oil rich Gulfies would be - 10 ^ 1000000.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 12:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martinbkk
Interesting factoid in there: 8000 cases of indigestion reported...That few? Most Qatari's show no self control come the cannon blast and iftar.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 2:05 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OleJanx
Most Qatari's show no self control come the cannon blast and iftar.
thats a bit of a generalization mate
Old Aug 10th 2013, 2:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
thats a bit of a generalization mate
20% of the population suffering diabetes says otherwise...
Old Aug 10th 2013, 4:13 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

well 20% IS a very high percentage for diabetes but I still wouldnt call it most of the population
anyway, well written article and totally agreed on most of the points made

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.