Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Anyone been to the South of Sri Lanka recently?

Anyone been to the South of Sri Lanka recently?

Old Aug 14th 2011, 7:32 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone been to the South of Sri Lanka recently?

Hi Bored,

Finally had enough of trying to work during Ramadan, so I am going away with the wife. We both lived in Sri Lanka during the late 90s and love the cuture, food etc.

I know there are previous threads, but wanted bang up to date info if there is any. Has anyone got any recommendations for top hotels in the south? Prefer 5* if possible but not boutiquey converted villas.

Any suggestions?
Old Aug 14th 2011, 9:14 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone been to the South of Sri Lanka recently?

Whereabouts in the South? I was last in Galle and surrounding areas in February last year.

What is wrong with 'boutiquey converted villas'? Nicest places to stay IMO.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 1:24 pm
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Whereabouts in the South? I was last in Galle and surrounding areas in February last year.

What is wrong with 'boutiquey converted villas'? Nicest places to stay IMO.
Nothing wrong with boutiquey converted villas, just not for me. Prefer water sports and a selection of restaurants when I am looking for a quick resort style holiday.

Probably not as far south as Galle as we wil only go for 5 or 6 days.

Been trying to get into the Eden but seems fully booked.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 9:23 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Then I can't help you. I avoid resorts. I don't get the point of travelling to a country and not seeing anything of it, but each to their own.

Shame as Galle and surrounding areas are lovely and there are some really good places to stay if anyone likes converted villas, plantation houses and that kind of thing. I've been told that the new road has just opened to it is possible to get there from Columbo is just two hours rather than a nerve-wracking four on the old roads. I'll be going back before long.

Old Aug 22nd 2011, 9:20 am
Waiting for my epiphany.

Cow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really nice

Hi guys

Just picking up and taking slightly sideways I am looking for somewhere cheap for a few days in Eid - any suggestions other than Sri Lanka? Want to get out of the GCC and always love a recommendation - saves hours of potentially fruitless internet searches...

Cheers guys

Old Aug 23rd 2011, 10:40 am
Banned

Super Tug is an unknown quantity at this point

Seychelles
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 10:41 am
Waiting for my epiphany.

Cow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Super Tug
Seychelles
On the list
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 10:42 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Cow Pie
On the list
Everybody is trying to catch Jaws here now, there's a lot of chum in the water so forget about swimming in the ocean.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 10:48 am
Waiting for my epiphany.

Everybody is trying to catch Jaws here now, there's a lot of chum in the water so forget about swimming in the ocean.
Wasn't humans dumping crap in the ocean the reason why these poor sharks have become an issue in the first place? Crazy.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 10:56 am
Banned

Wasn't humans dumping crap in the ocean the reason why these poor sharks have become an issue in the first place? Crazy.
They are paying 13,000 Rupee for any sharks over 4 meters now. I've caught 6 in 2 days.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 11:02 am
Waiting for my epiphany.

They are paying 13,000 Rupee for any sharks over 4 meters now. I've caught 6 in 2 days.
I am assuming you are kidding right...? If not I think it's a disgrace. Not taking away the fact that the poor bride has lost her husband but we are entirely to blame. Terrible all round really.

Old Aug 23rd 2011, 11:05 am
Banned

I am assuming you are kidding right...? If not I think it's a disgrace. Not taking away the fact that the poor bride has lost her husband but we are entirely to blame. Terrible all round really.

No guilt here...I am an American
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 11:10 am
Waiting for my epiphany.

No guilt here...I am an American
Super. Very happy. Have a good one - thanks for the recommendation in any event.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 11:24 am
Banned

the restaurants are quite reasonable
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 11:37 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

I smell a rat...who loves a lady called Mat(a)...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.