Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Anyone been to Cambodia?

Anyone been to Cambodia?

Old Jan 12th 2012, 1:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone been to Cambodia?

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Could well be my next working destination. Wondered what it's like and what jabs I'll need / malaria risk, etc?
I don't think you need any malaria medication, but it is always advisable to do your vaccinations. Please note that Cambodia is a developing country and many procedures are going to seem outdated and beureaucraic compared to waht you may be used to.

However, Cambodia is a rapidly developing country, has more relaxed rules for foreigners living there permanently, a very friendly population and it is really a beautiful country. So if you are moving out of Dubai to come to Cambodia, by all means do, you will not miss Dubai much.

In fact, the only thing I missed from Dubai are its filipinas....
Old Jan 12th 2012, 4:56 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Anywhere around the Tamle Sap lake, from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap, you won't need malaria meds. Anywhere else, they'd be strongly recommended...

I've only been to Angkor Wat, beautiful but the child begging is deeply depressing (I've heard it's not as bad now).
Old Jan 12th 2012, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Could well be my next working destination. Wondered what it's like and what jabs I'll need / malaria risk, etc?
Just come back from a 3 week holiday so opinion is as a tourist, albeit well-travelled, as opposed to an expat. Also cant comment on health aspects - cant recall when we last had vaccs for travel

Fantastic country - visited Phnom Penh, Siem Riep, Battambang, Kep & Kampot. Stunningly beautiful in parts eg Siem Reap, Kep. Angkor Wat was on my bucket list so thats another tick. Wouldnt mind returning and spending a month or so in Siem Reap and taking time to do the temples again.

Ridiculously cheap. New Years Eve we were feasting on freshly caught crab and kampot pepper for USD$2 a plate. People have been to hell and back but genuinely so friendly and helpful. Altho being born a woman seems to be a curse.

Several of the hotels we stayed in were run by expats - Brits or French.

Corruption apparently is rife - some official report out recently listed Cambodia something like 140 out of 158 countries.

Would def recommend a visit before it changes.

HTH
Old Jan 12th 2012, 9:56 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saudiflares
It's 'Kids in America' not Cambodia
fool

Old Jan 12th 2012, 10:08 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info, peeps. Appreciate it.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 10:17 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

My sister and I spent 3 weeks there in May. Where is it you might be going?

I quite liked Siem Reap but thought Phom Penh was a dump. Once you get out into the countryside it's lovely. We did a homestay in the jungle and the families were so nice. Even with out limited Cambodian and their very limited English we had a great time.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 10:22 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by typical
Anywhere around the Tamle Sap lake, from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap, you won't need malaria meds. Anywhere else, they'd be strongly recommended...

I've only been to Angkor Wat, beautiful but the child begging is deeply depressing (I've heard it's not as bad now).
Tonle Sap Lake was so neat. I have a photo of a kid with a snake around his neck trying to scare the tourists on our boat.

It's also very depressing. There was a woman on a boat pulled up next to us. She was holding up a baby about 7 or 8 months old and saying "you buy? One dollar. you buy?"

This is the little boy with the snake.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone been to Cambodia?-064.jpg  
Old Jan 12th 2012, 10:28 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
My sister and I spent 3 weeks there in May. Where is it you might be going?

I quite liked Siem Reap but thought Phom Penh was a dump. Once you get out into the countryside it's lovely. We did a homestay in the jungle and the families were so nice. Even with out limited Cambodian and their very limited English we had a great time.
Not actually sure. I think it's going to be mainly PP, since it's a major new multi-storey building. I'm hoping to get some free time to have a neb around, of course.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 6:59 am
Just Joined

Scubaroo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi LJ, am here right now! Stunning. In Siem Reap at moment just on tour this time, worked here years back. Waiting for paperwork to go thru before joining the ME crew in B (greetings all!) Cambodia is a stunning country and lovely people. PP is great to live and work in. OzSheila spot on. Sugg not working for a Khmer co. or govt. as tough as some africa states. Read Cambodia Daily or Phnom Penh Post to give you an instant idea. If your just visiting on recon, suggest stay at 252 (villa) in Phnom Penh on Street 252 (nice rooms and lovely pool), and its sister Frangipani in Siem Reap ($40-60 per night AC) botique hotels. Plenty of lovely food around and things to do during off-time due to tourist trade and weekends can be spent in Sihanoukville islands or quick flights in region. Best to fly-in, border crossings are a pain and slow to travel through. Re meds, you need all for any mosquito region, malaria, dengue are very common and many associated complications, if long time you can go on meds for 1month every 3months ie. Malerone and stock up on Co-Aristane if you suspect you are ill. Best is prevention and always use repellent and long clothes at sunset/rise and evenings. Consider jap encephalitis and rabies if long term. Any questions PM me.