Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Any other Scottish girls on here?

Any other Scottish girls on here?

Old Jun 7th 2009, 5:05 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any other Scottish girls on here?

Originally Posted by Taz Mirza
I would happily marry a Scotch bird just for the grub they can make. I once stayed in a Thistle hotel and for breakfast I had stovies, haggis, black pudding and white pudding.., very tasty indeed.

I found a place in Dubai that does deep fried Mars bars and cant wait to try these too.

McTaz
you'll be wanting a tartan piper in a wee plastic box next

oh and for the last ****ing time scotch is a drink
Old Jun 7th 2009, 5:53 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ArranLass
I went to the Scottish College of Textiles in Gala! 87-91 The Red Lion and Cuddy Green were my locals
Shit!! So did my tong-connected Chinese ex-girlfriend....

Those halls beds werent half narrow.. Used to go down and visit every other weekend from Aberdeen,...
Old Jun 7th 2009, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
I can't speak for the Scots but I do know the Irish generally are at least open to the idea of someone being Irish if they have Irish blood and a basic understanding of Irish ways regardless of where they are born or where else they come from...well that's always been my experience anyways as someone whose nan was a real Cork thoroughbred .

Of course nothing can substitute for being born and bred somewhere...but people have always moved around (especially folks of the British Ilses). Didn't Colin Powell get official recognition as a clansman for being descendant of one of the Clans of Scotland?

N.

Yes the Irish gov may be open to citizenship, thats if one of yr grandparents is Irish and you can prove it, but isnt that the same for England under certain circumstances?

But trust me most Irish don't see it like that, you would be classed as a plastic paddy, oh unless yr famous and then you will be very def Irish
Old Jun 8th 2009, 3:46 am
Hammer for Life

BangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=commander;7642098]
Originally Posted by Grace O Malley

it depends entirely on location.

we may move soon to either Oz or to Texas. Then it is more of a immigration as opposed to here which is temporary. So if my daughter is 3 when we move, she will essentially be brought up an Ozzie/Yank with scottish parents??

For expat brats raised here, yea, identity crisis inbound.as there is no culture/way of life that they can relate to..unless they come home to read the kerrang.
The Kerrang ? Isnt that the heavy metal music magazine ........i hate that music so I could never be a UAE national then.....shame !

So Commander, I cant be arsed to read through the whole thread.....are you English but have Scottish parents, which really makes you English and just a Scottish wanabee ?
Old Jun 8th 2009, 3:52 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=BangleMan;7643608]
Originally Posted by commander
The Kerrang ? Isnt that the heavy metal music magazine ........i hate that music so I could never be a UAE national then.....shame !

So Commander, I cant be arsed to read through the whole thread.....are you English but have Scottish parents, which really makes you English and just a Scottish wanabee ?
are you wanting a good smack in the puss??
Old Jun 8th 2009, 3:53 am
Hammer for Life

BangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=commander;7643626]
Originally Posted by BangleMan

are you wanting a good smack in the puss??
it was a serious question !
Old Jun 8th 2009, 4:01 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=BangleMan;7643630]
Originally Posted by commander
it was a serious question !
it was a serious reply that hopefully answers your question..
Old Jun 8th 2009, 4:04 am
Hammer for Life

[QUOTE=commander;7643652]
Originally Posted by BangleMan

it was a serious reply that hopefully answers your question..
shame....
Old Jun 8th 2009, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

BorderTart is just really niceBorderTart is just really niceBorderTart is just really niceBorderTart is just really niceBorderTart is just really niceBorderTart is just really niceBorderTart is just really niceBorderTart is just really nice

Originally Posted by ArranLass
I went to the Scottish College of Textiles in Gala! 87-91 The Red Lion and Cuddy Green were my locals
Now Heriot Watt University - it's gone up in the world.

Was past my wild drinking days by the time you were in the Borders, so wouldn't have met you.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

BorderTart is just really niceBorderTart is just really niceBorderTart is just really niceBorderTart is just really niceBorderTart is just really niceBorderTart is just really niceBorderTart is just really niceBorderTart is just really nice

Originally Posted by Big Kevin
I lived in gid auld gally for a few years, nice part of the world round there so it is, altho reputed to be one of Scotland's largest open air non-secure asylums. Probably 2nd only to Kilwinning where I was brought up.

Oh, a Borders joke...

In a bar in Melrose.

First bloke to 2nd bloke, "People from Hawick are just hoors and rugby players".

2nd bloke, "OY, my wife's from Hawick!!".

1st bloke, "Oh??!!". Pause.

"What position does she play?".

What took you to the Borders then? Work?

I love it there, but only appreciated it once I had left, so returned 5 years later, now I wouldn't dream of selling my house there and love going back for the holidays.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 8:57 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Taz Mirza
I would happily marry a Scotch bird just for the grub they can make. I once stayed in a Thistle hotel and for breakfast I had stovies, haggis, black pudding and white pudding.., very tasty indeed.

I found a place in Dubai that does deep fried Mars bars and cant wait to try these too.

McTaz
I'd marry a Scottish lady tommorow if I could find one(especially if she looks like Laura Frazer ) but I have trouble being tolerated by womankind in general so I can't be fussy with whoever comes my way

...oh and if anyone can tell me where I can get Scotch pies in Abu Dhabi they will earn themselves a drink on me.

N.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 9:02 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley
Yes the Irish gov may be open to citizenship, thats if one of yr grandparents is Irish and you can prove it, but isnt that the same for England under certain circumstances?

But trust me most Irish don't see it like that, you would be classed as a plastic paddy, oh unless yr famous and then you will be very def Irish
Am not sure about the English - the rules keep changing and it's never very clear. I know a few South Africans who got British passports by merit of having English ancestors but it's not common and few are even given the luxury of being considered "plastic" English for the most part. The British seem to prefer it if you have no blood ties, no cultural ties and can't speak English at all before they will give you a passport, house etc

Of course no one will think you're Irish just because you have a passport but having Irish blood does put you in the "family" as it were more than say being born in Ireland but having no blood ties and having a passport no?

It helps being famous like Phil Lynott who wasn't even born in Ireland and is half Brazilian and raised in Englan but he has a nice statue in Dublin. So overall become a rock star, die of an OD and your status as a true Irishman will be secure

N.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

Big Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BorderTart

What took you to the Borders then? Work?

I love it there, but only appreciated it once I had left, so returned 5 years later, now I wouldn't dream of selling my house there and love going back for the holidays.
It was work initially, I worked with a firm of architects there and still have some good friends in the area, one of whom is a director of a local firm. I also played in a band in Galashiels with a bloke that ran a taxi company and guitar shop, the drummer from which was a drummer in the local pipe band...

He (the drummer) incidentally, had a brainwave and decided along with an accomplice to set up an insurance claim whereby he woud step out of the shop where he worked just as his 'friend' was coming along the road in his car, he would accidentally step out into the road, whereupon 'friend' would accidentally and unfortunately bump into him with the car, knock him to the ground and they would make a claim via his mate's insurance and split the proceeds.

Sadly his mate had thought that he worked in the shop next door so wasn't watching the correct door as drummer-boy stepped out, ran into him big time knocking him up in the air resulting in fairly serious injuries including two broken legs. It was said that he had suffered some head injuries too and that he wasn't quite right after the accident as well, but I didn't know him before the accident so maybe he was always like that.

Why am I telling you this? I don't know really. Galashiels, and a lot of the borders, is just a place where stories, events and characters like that are commonplace. I loved it there too and might take a quick trip up in advance of heading to ME.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Am not sure about the English - the rules keep changing and it's never very clear. I know a few South Africans who got British passports by merit of having English ancestors but it's not common and few are even given the luxury of being considered "plastic" English for the most part. The British seem to prefer it if you have no blood ties, no cultural ties and can't speak English at all before they will give you a passport, house etc

Of course no one will think you're Irish just because you have a passport but having Irish blood does put you in the "family" as it were more than say being born in Ireland but having no blood ties and having a passport no?

It helps being famous like Phil Lynott who wasn't even born in Ireland and is half Brazilian and raised in Englan but he has a nice statue in Dublin. So overall become a rock star, die of an OD and your status as a true Irishman will be secure

N.
ha ha Phil Lynot is a brilliant example, He's famous so lets claim him. If he was phil no one he would be considered English or at best plastic, but usually both parents should be irish to be even considered plastic, like all those yanks living in Boston or little Ireland

oh dear back to my search on identity confusion
Old Jun 8th 2009, 9:59 am
banned

Originally Posted by Big Kevin
It was work initially, I worked with a firm of architects there and still have some good friends in the area, one of whom is a director of a local firm. I also played in a band in Galashiels with a bloke that ran a taxi company and guitar shop, the drummer from which was a drummer in the local pipe band...

He (the drummer) incidentally, had a brainwave and decided along with an accomplice to set up an insurance claim whereby he woud step out of the shop where he worked just as his 'friend' was coming along the road in his car, he would accidentally step out into the road, whereupon 'friend' would accidentally and unfortunately bump into him with the car, knock him to the ground and they would make a claim via his mate's insurance and split the proceeds.

Sadly his mate had thought that he worked in the shop next door so wasn't watching the correct door as drummer-boy stepped out, ran into him big time knocking him up in the air resulting in fairly serious injuries including two broken legs. It was said that he had suffered some head injuries too and that he wasn't quite right after the accident as well, but I didn't know him before the accident so maybe he was always like that.

Why am I telling you this? I don't know really. Galashiels, and a lot of the borders, is just a place where stories, events and characters like that are commonplace. I loved it there too and might take a quick trip up in advance of heading to ME.
my mate from Arbroath worked in Gala as an architectural technician for a good few years..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.