Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Any other Scottish girls on here?

Any other Scottish girls on here?

Old Jun 7th 2009, 9:51 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any other Scottish girls on here?

Originally Posted by commander
no no no, there are american girls and there are Texan girls...two completely different species..
Thank God......
Old Jun 7th 2009, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=commander;7641682]quite frankly, i love listening to people who have about as much scottish blood in them as Shadya go on about 'being scottish'..

you know this always interests me, serious question, do you have to be born in Scotland to be Scottish? Lived in Scotland all your life? Born to Scottish parents?

Welsh/ Scottish/Irish kids who are born and raised here, will they be seen as welsh, Scottish, Irish or wannabes
Old Jun 7th 2009, 11:28 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Grace O Malley;7641949]
quite frankly, i love listening to people who have about as much scottish blood in them as Shadya go on about 'being scottish'..

you know this always interests me, serious question, do you have to be born in Scotland to be Scottish? Lived in Scotland all your life? Born to Scottish parents?

Welsh/ Scottish/Irish kids who are born and raised here, will they be seen as welsh, Scottish, Irish or wannabes
no, my inlaws are from Africa, but have lived in Scotland longer than ive been alive, have contributed to the community more than i and are fercely proud to call themselves Scottish...

its more a frame of mind than a blood link..
Old Jun 7th 2009, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=commander;7642013]
Originally Posted by Grace O Malley

no, my inlaws are from Africa, but have lived in Scotland longer than ive been alive, have contributed to the community more than i and are fercely proud to call themselves Scottish...

its more a frame of mind than a blood link..

so yr little one was born here? If not she will prob be raised here as long as work is here for you, so what will she/is she considered in Scotland.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 11:57 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Grace O Malley;7642060]

so yr little one was born here? If not she will prob be raised here as long as work is here for you, so what will she/is she considered in Scotland.
Well she is Scottish, both her parents are Scottish..She can hardly consider herself a UAE national can she?
Old Jun 7th 2009, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=commander;7642063]

Well she is Scottish, both her parents are Scottish..She can hardly consider herself a UAE national can she?
no obviously she cant be considered a UAE national

So its a blood link then as both her parents are Scottish and a cultural thing as you will raise her in a Scottish way, even though she may well never live in the country

I wonder if expat kids do end up having a bit of an identity confusion later in life
Old Jun 7th 2009, 12:07 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Grace O Malley;7642081]

So its a blood link then as both her parents are Scottish and a cultural thing as you will raise her in a Scottish way, even though she may well never live in the country

I wonder if expat kids do end up having a bit of an identity confusion later in life
I was about to start a thread on that actually...about the feeling of 'belonging' somewhere when you've been away from your birthcountry for a long time...
Old Jun 7th 2009, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=MataHari;7642086]

I was about to start a thread on that actually...about the feeling of 'belonging' somewhere when you've been away from your birthcountry for a long time...
its an interesting question, last time i was home with my lad, everyone said that he has an American accent, to my horror. He doesn't of course, he has just lost his accent, I have heard it described as the "Gulf Accent" a kind of twang to their accent which is neither from their home country, here or anywhere else
Old Jun 7th 2009, 12:13 pm
banned

[QUOTE=Grace O Malley;7642081]

it depends entirely on location.

we may move soon to either Oz or to Texas. Then it is more of a immigration as opposed to here which is temporary. So if my daughter is 3 when we move, she will essentially be brought up an Ozzie/Yank with scottish parents??

For expat brats raised here, yea, identity crisis inbound.as there is no culture/way of life that they can relate to..unless they come home to read the kerrang.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=commander;7642098]

it depends entirely on location.

we may move soon to either Oz or to Texas. Then it is more of a immigration as opposed to here which is temporary. So if my daughter is 3 when we move, she will essentially be brought up an Ozzie/Yank with scottish parents??

For expat brats raised here, yea, identity crisis inbound.as there is no culture/way of life that they can relate to..unless they come home to read the kerrang.
so she will be considered a yank then? See it all becomes very confusing

What if you have parents who are not both the same nationality, jeez disaster
Old Jun 7th 2009, 12:41 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Grace O Malley;7642096]
Originally Posted by MataHari

its an interesting question, last time i was home with my lad, everyone said that he has an American accent, to my horror. He doesn't of course, he has just lost his accent, I have heard it described as the "Gulf Accent" a kind of twang to their accent which is neither from their home country, here or anywhere else
I'm sure he'll rediscover his Irish accent

I really don't belong anywhere and it doesn't bother me in the slightest.
Transient lifestyle all my days and now live between uk/usa mostly.
Started US Residence process last year but decided I really didn't want to be US Resident or anything associated with America-dunno why really.
S'pose I am more 'British' than anything as my mother was born there.
I love living in the UAE and look forward to settling there for a good few years
but I don't really need to feel it's 'home'.

Still it'll mean I'm closer to Admon so that's good..........
Old Jun 7th 2009, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Eva;7642155]

I'm sure he'll rediscover his Irish accent

I really don't belong anywhere and it doesn't bother me in the slightest.
Transient lifestyle all my days and now live between uk/usa mostly.
Started US Residence process last year but decided I really didn't want to be US Resident or anything associated with America-dunno why really.
S'pose I am more 'British' than anything as my mother was born there.
I love living in the UAE and look forward to settling there for a good few years
but I don't really need to feel it's 'home'.

Still it'll mean I'm closer to Admon so that's good..........
lol am not bothered about him having an Irish accent at all as I and his father are different nationalities anyway, so he is already a half/half

see Eva the Irish and prob the Scottish? , can be a bit pedantic re nationality for some reason, you know plastic paddy, blow in, blow back etc etc
Old Jun 7th 2009, 12:58 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Grace O Malley;7642171]
Originally Posted by Eva

lol am not bothered about him having an Irish accent at all as I and his father are different nationalities anyway, so he is already a half/half

see Eva the Irish and prob the Scottish? , can be a bit pedantic re nationality for some reason, you know plastic paddy, blow in, blow back etc etc

Ha.I know what you mean.Personally,I don't think it defines me as a person in anyway.
I don't feel guilty about not having a sense of Nationalism or pride.
I know for others it's very important though.
Ref your son,I'm sure when he realises the pulling power an Irish lilt has,he'll get that twang back-nothing nicer!
Old Jun 7th 2009, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Eva;7642187]

Ha.I know what you mean.Personally,I don't think it defines me as a person in anyway.
I don't feel guilty about not having a sense of Nationalism or pride.
I know for others it's very important though.
Ref your son,I'm sure when he realises the pulling power an Irish lilt has,he'll get that twang back-nothing nicer!

I dont have this big sense of irishness either, having lived out of the country for many years.

lol he wont have to worry re pulling, he got his looks from his mam, ha ha.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 1:03 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=Grace O Malley;7642193]
Originally Posted by Eva

I dont have this big sense of irishness either, having lived out of the country for many years.

lol he wont have to worry re pulling, he got his looks from his mam, ha ha.
The boy's got it made then

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.