Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Any MS Excel experts on the board?

Any MS Excel experts on the board?

Old Feb 18th 2014, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Any MS Excel experts on the board?

stuck with a problem that google hasn't managed to help me fix yet. Anyone know MS Excel?

I'm 99% through the template I'm creating, however there is one cell I am stumped with. What needs to be displayed is the result of 2 drop down menus further up the template

based on my little table attached, if I have selected "50 Kg" from one drop down menu, and "Singapore" from the other one, what do I put in the cell so I am working on to so it knows to display "110"?
Attached Thumbnails Any MS Excel experts on the board?-calculate-capture.jpg  
Old Feb 18th 2014, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

CanuckGrl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any MS Excel experts on the board?

I don't entirely understand the question. Are you looking for a formula to be used in more than one cell that will give the value of, for example, 50kg and Singapore, 500kg and Dubai, etc., the answer of which will change based on different inputs?

If you simply want the "110" to appear in another cell, you just need to tell it to copy/link the value of whatever that cell number is.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanuckGrl
I don't entirely understand the question. Are you looking for a formula to be used in more than one cell that will give the value of, for example, 50kg and Singapore, 500kg and Dubai, etc., the answer of which will change based on different inputs?

If you simply want the "110" to appear in another cell, you just need to tell it to copy/link the value of whatever that cell number is.
Based on what two options the user has selected in the two drop downs (one will be the city, one will be the weight), I want the cell I am having trouble with tto show the number where they meet on the table I attached.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

If the user selection city is in cell A1 and weight selection in A2, your city names are in cells b10:f10 and your weights are in cells A11:A14 then the formula would be:
=HLOOKUP(A1,$B$10:$F$14,MATCH(A2,$A$11:$A$14)+1,FA LSE)

The FALSE statement should be a complete word - not sure why it's being broken up.

For this to work you need to make sure that the user weight selection choices match exactly, character for character, the list in cells A11:A14. You can do this using Data Validation and a list.

Last edited by csdf; Feb 18th 2014 at 4:40 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 4:32 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brains1983
stuck with a problem that google hasn't managed to help me fix yet. Anyone know MS Excel?

I'm 99% through the template I'm creating, however there is one cell I am stumped with. What needs to be displayed is the result of 2 drop down menus further up the template

based on my little table attached, if I have selected "50 Kg" from one drop down menu, and "Singapore" from the other one, what do I put in the cell so I am working on to so it knows to display "110"?
you will need to write nested AND IF statements
Old Feb 18th 2014, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
Originally Posted by csdf
I would use either an hlookup, or an offset using the index and match functions.
I wish I understood this
Old Feb 18th 2014, 4:37 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

then you need to learn to do it

teach yourself Brains

go to the help function, look for HLOOKUP or ANDIF in the button that says "function help" and follow the instructions
Old Feb 18th 2014, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

Casta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really nice

First of all I have to agree with the poster who said you had to learn. I can't emphasise enough how practice helps learn Excel. Nothing like learning from doing. Google often comes up with great links although admittedly sometimes it helps to know the function you'll need which isn't always easily known

Couple of links to help you understand how it works:
http://www.mrexcel.com/articles/exce...ndex-match.php
http://tipsindeed.com/excel-function...-in-excel.html

I've put the answer in an attached pic. A9 and B8 are Data Validation drop down lists so the answer in B9 changes when they do.

Good luck
Attached Thumbnails Any MS Excel experts on the board?-picture-1.png  
Old Feb 19th 2014, 2:26 am
womble

Casta, thanks! I learnt something new today
I've never used Index/Match before.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Casta
First of all I have to agree with the poster who said you had to learn. I can't emphasise enough how practice helps learn Excel. Nothing like learning from doing. Google often comes up with great links although admittedly sometimes it helps to know the function you'll need which isn't always easily known

Couple of links to help you understand how it works:
http://www.mrexcel.com/articles/exce...ndex-match.php
http://tipsindeed.com/excel-function...-in-excel.html

I've put the answer in an attached pic. A9 and B8 are Data Validation drop down lists so the answer in B9 changes when they do.

Good luck

That worked perfectly, thank you very much. Karma Sent!
Old Feb 19th 2014, 6:55 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

$5 to fix excel

go here
Old Feb 19th 2014, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by shiva
$5 to fix excel

go here
there's a dude on there that does a simpsons style caricature for you aswell.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 7:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
I would suggest that you shouldn't be writing nested IF statements - much better ways of coming to the same answer (index and match combo).

In a former life I used to teach xhell. My advise was always to get rid of IF, AND, OR statements - they are confusing
Old Feb 19th 2014, 11:33 am
womble

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I would suggest that you shouldn't be writing nested IF statements - much better ways of coming to the same answer (index and match combo).

In a former life I used to teach xhell. My advise was always to get rid of IF, AND, OR statements - they are confusing
Very true. But I come from an ex Fortran 77 background, no index/match then, so I'm just being lazy since I can write nests easily
Old Feb 19th 2014, 6:49 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

I like turtles!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.