Reload this Page >

Another White Elephant?

Another White Elephant?

Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:47 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Another White Elephant?

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
what have you got against me. you obviously want to kill me off if you suggest I try to get a job to sort out the transport problems here.

will leave land transport to others and stick to shipping
One less Red Devil...
Old Apr 16th 2008, 2:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Having read that the RTA are only now considering the commissioning of market research to determine who (if anyone) will use the Metro system, my gut feeling is that it may well prove to be a waste of money...just another useless status symbol. Like the Bangkok Skytrain, where locals cannot afford the prices and where they cannot be bothered to climb the umpteen dozen steps from ground level to the platform, I fear that few people here will bother with it. Maybe office workers travelling between Deira and Bur Dubai will find it useful, but looking at the SZR layout, how are people supposed to access the beach front hotels from the other side of the road? Construction workers will continue to use their free bus transport. As the horrendous traffic congestion here needs to be resolved, I will be happy to be proved wrong so please feel free guys and gals to go ahead and make my day.
i agree...can't see who will use it, the stations aren't exactly near to anywhere and as no one apart from me ever walks here apparently, then even if they do use it, people will still get in their cars to drive to the station (though god knows where they will park...)

MM, xx
Old Apr 16th 2008, 3:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

I don't think the Bangkok Skytrain is a 'white elephant." When I have been in the last few years it has been packed with locals (office workers) at rush hours, and as a tourist I found it great for getting around the city and linking up with the river boats. Many of the major stations have escalators, if not, climbing the stairs saves on gym membership.

I guess I will also be lucky here, as provided I can keep my tenancy, I will be a couple of minutes from the interchange station at Bur Juman. I will be able to get down SZR to Safa Park, Mall of Emirates and the other way, to Deira, with ease.