British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Another underwater hotel proposed... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/another-underwater-hotel-proposed-774576/)

Meow Oct 14th 2012 11:55 am

Another underwater hotel proposed...

This time in Oman.

Possibly, maybe, one day, when pigs fly...

http://www.zawya.com/story/Oman_Plan...emailmarketing

:flypig::flypig:

weasel decentral Oct 14th 2012 12:10 pm

Re: Another underwater hotel proposed...

I love the idea of these underwater structures, whether its a hotel or not. I don't see why its an impossibility, the technology has improved (especially regarding the glass) in huge leaps and as soon as the costs start to match it then imo its very feasible.

all the best James Bond villains had underwater lairs decades ago:nod:

Meow Oct 14th 2012 12:22 pm

There have been so many fanciful plans in this region, that I never really expect anything to be started, let alone completed, these days.

weasel decentral Oct 14th 2012 12:37 pm

Possibly even building a hotel at the moment is fanciful, never mind an underwater one. However the fact that they have a dry dock to build this one in, sounds like its not in the pie in the sky league (well not totally anyhow).

I do like the fact that they say the hotel is connected to three sturdy legs not the usual flimsy ones we have come to expect then

rowell Oct 14th 2012 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 10330203)
Possibly even building a hotel at the moment is fanciful, never mind an underwater one. However the fact that they have a dry dock to build this one in, sounds like its not in the pie in the sky league (well not totally anyhow).

I do like the fact that they say the hotel is connected to three sturdy legs not the usual flimsy ones we have come to expect then

They cannot even build a roof that doesn't leak never mind a full hotel structure

Meow Oct 14th 2012 1:36 pm

How would one escape in the event of an emergency? (Even as a non-engineer I realise you can't open a 'window' and swim out.) That would particularly worry me, considering local safety records for everything else.

seven seas Oct 14th 2012 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10330188)
There have been so many fanciful plans in this region, that I never really expect anything to be started, let alone completed, these days.

exactly, like the metro, the world's tallest building, the world's biggest mall...

Meow Oct 14th 2012 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by seven seas (Post 10330268)
exactly, like the metro, the world's tallest building, the world's biggest mall...

Tsk. The undewater hotel, the one that looked like shards of ice, 90% of Dubailand, the one in the shape of a man and the doughnut one....

The Burj Khalifa is an achievement, but building a big shopping centre isn't so clever, nor is having some trains; something that other countries have had for hundreds of years.

weasel decentral Oct 14th 2012 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10330263)
How would one escape in the event of an emergency? (Even as a non-engineer I realise you can't open a 'window' and swim out.) That would particularly worry me, considering local safety records for everything else.

Well I'd imagine you use the stairs like any basement structure, there is nothing different to any structure that gets over (or under) 2 or 3 storeys. using the window is never an option.

weasel decentral Oct 14th 2012 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10330274)
The Burj Khalifa is an achievement, but building a big shopping centre isn't so clever, nor is having some trains; something that other countries have had for hundreds of years.

When we reduce things to their basic elements of course they don't sound clever.
Eiffel tower? A large steel lattice structure.The pyramids? Some triangular shaped stone piles. London underground? just some trains in a tunnel.

The mall was a way more complex structure (based on its sheer size and diversity) to construct than the Burj, but its not readily apparent to a shopper or casual observer.

Norm_uk Oct 15th 2012 5:24 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10330274)
Tsk. The undewater hotel, the one that looked like shards of ice, 90% of Dubailand, the one in the shape of a man and the doughnut one....

You're beginning to sound like me...nothing they have here is innovative or built with local know-how. It's a playground for uneducated children with lots of money and little sense.

Isn't that why we're here? :rofl:

N.

Bahtatboy Oct 15th 2012 7:47 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 10331214)
You're beginning to sound like me...nothing they have here is innovative or built with local know-how. It's a playground for uneducated children with lots of money and little sense.

Isn't that why we're here? :rofl:

N.

No, no, you've got it all wrong. The UN have given a big thumbs up to the UAE and its leaders for their sustainability projects. All over the radio this morning (probably the rags, too, but haven't seen them). Per capita power consumption, water consumption, CO2 emissions? Ppfft.