British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Another UAE justice story (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/another-uae-justice-story-599421/)

AnotherWorld Mar 23rd 2009 7:07 pm

Another UAE justice story

One filipino male applied for marriage in the ministry here. He produced a certificate from the philippines stating his single status which he obtained from an agency there tasked to provide said certificates. Apparently these agencies are pretty common. They simply went and obtained him a fake certificate from a fake cert maker. The ministry said "sit here whilst we check your documents in front of you". The ministry worker got to the single status certificate, used some special UV scanner to try to check if it was fake and discovered it was. He then called the police without telling the guy, 2 officers showed up, put him in handcuffs and said you have a fake certificate.

The guy was shocked, he started saying the agency obtained the certificate for him he had nothing to do with it. Police response was "no need to explain, no need to explain". They put him in prison immediately. He will be transferred to Al Wathba prison in 2 days to serve 2 months sentence prior to deportation unless he can prove it wasn't his fault.

Heartwarming? Someone who knows him related this story to me.

bimcnorth Mar 23rd 2009 9:01 pm

Re: Another UAE justice story

A mate of mine spent six month in jail for the crime of being paid with three fake cheques with forward dates. As he tried to cash the first one the clerk told him to wait a minute and called the bill..That was in Manchester UK.

Heartwarming eh?

Norm_uk Mar 24th 2009 4:08 am

Two months in the nick for a fake certificate?

He was trying to get married not cash a cheque!

That said we live in a country where if someone kills themselves by jumping in front of your car it's your fault. You go to jail until you can pay the kamikaze sod's family blood money - which varies depending on where he is from (locals cost more than Brits who cost more than Indians etc!). :confused:

N.

banter64 Mar 24th 2009 6:33 am

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld (Post 7410936)
One filipino male applied for marriage in the ministry here. He produced a certificate from the philippines stating his single status which he obtained from an agency there tasked to provide said certificates. Apparently these agencies are pretty common. They simply went and obtained him a fake certificate from a fake cert maker. The ministry said "sit here whilst we check your documents in front of you". The ministry worker got to the single status certificate, used some special UV scanner to try to check if it was fake and discovered it was. He then called the police without telling the guy, 2 officers showed up, put him in handcuffs and said you have a fake certificate.

The guy was shocked, he started saying the agency obtained the certificate for him he had nothing to do with it. Police response was "no need to explain, no need to explain". They put him in prison immediately. He will be transferred to Al Wathba prison in 2 days to serve 2 months sentence prior to deportation unless he can prove it wasn't his fault.

Heartwarming? Someone who knows him related this story to me.

Unfortunatley Bigamy is a huge issue when it comes to this nationality, hence the reason that they are so strict. Sad i know :(

Grace O Malley Mar 24th 2009 6:41 am

Originally Posted by banter64 (Post 7412620)
Unfortunatley Bigamy is a huge issue when it comes to this nationality, hence the reason that they are so strict. Sad i know :(

lol so true, they are unbelievable! You would think butter wouldn't melt in their mouth. But still harsh to throw him in Jail

banter64 Mar 24th 2009 6:46 am

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 7412638)
lol so true, they are unbelievable! You would think butter wouldn't melt in their mouth. But still harsh to throw him in Jail

Agree it is harsh they should have better ways of controlling this sort of thing !

AnotherWorld Mar 24th 2009 7:02 am

Originally Posted by bimcnorth (Post 7411375)
A mate of mine spent six month in jail for the crime of being paid with three fake cheques with forward dates. As he tried to cash the first one the clerk told him to wait a minute and called the bill..That was in Manchester UK.

Heartwarming eh?

Lol... yeah a "single" certificate is almost as disgusting as cheque fraud.... I agree......

You remind me of this aussie bloke I've spoken with a few times who seems to have a sixth sense for anyone saying anything negative about the UAE.. even when you dont realise you've said something, he will lash out at you for doing so. Personally I dont understand how anyone can defend a such a dictatorship so much... until they end up in prison for something ridiculous perhaps.

shiva Mar 24th 2009 7:29 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 7412359)
Two months in the nick for a fake certificate?

He was trying to get married not cash a cheque!

That said we live in a country where if someone kills themselves by jumping in front of your car it's your fault. You go to jail until you can pay the kamikaze sod's family blood money - which varies depending on where he is from (locals cost more than Brits who cost more than Indians etc!). :confused:

N.

thats changing slowly, happened to a friend last year when a labourer jumped of a bridge in front of her, she spent a few weeks in jail then weeks in court everyday until they finally decided it was suicide and she got of scot free with no blood money.
By scot free I mean, has now left her job and the country with severe emotional problems etc etc etc, but hey its getting better ;)

Grace O Malley Mar 24th 2009 7:45 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 7412733)
thats changing slowly, happened to a friend last year when a labourer jumped of a bridge in front of her, she spent a few weeks in jail then weeks in court everyday until they finally decided it was suicide and she got of scot free with no blood money.
By scot free I mean, has now left her job and the country with severe emotional problems etc etc etc, but hey its getting better ;)

um Shiva i would tend to disagree that things are getting better I don't see any major good changes in this area not in the time I have been here, if anything it seems to have got slightly worse.

So many new rules/regs that people are just not aware of until its to late.

Norm_uk Mar 24th 2009 11:54 am

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 7412638)

You've obviously not been there or know any Filipinos well! Womanising is a national sport in the Philippines :thumbsup:

N.

lionheart Mar 24th 2009 12:03 pm

How about this example of European justice! It took seven years for the case to reach the court.:ohmy:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20090324/...r-41f21e0.html

Grace O Malley Mar 24th 2009 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 7413375)
You've obviously not been there or know any Filipinos well! Womanising is a national sport in the Philippines :thumbsup:

N.

ha ha no never been there, cant say its a place I would really want to visit. But employed 14 last may, kin hell, what a disaster, 2 gone home already, pregnant and they are all shagging each other, half of them are married. I thought they were quiet folk. They constantly stab each other in the back and are in divided up into little gangs, bloody nightmare.

Norm_uk Mar 24th 2009 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by banter64 (Post 7412620)

Bigamy - the act of having one wife too many...monogamy is the same though! :p

N.

Norm_uk Mar 24th 2009 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 7412733)

But without the concept of legal precedent in place it changes nothing really...

N.

lionheart Mar 24th 2009 12:49 pm

How about the story of two Emirati soccer stars sentenced to death for murder? At least some consistency is being demonstrated.

http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Polic.../10297884.html