Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Another suicide in Dubai :(

Another suicide in Dubai :(

Old May 18th 2011, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud of
Default Another suicide in Dubai :(

http://m.gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/...owers-1.808781
Old May 18th 2011, 4:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another suicide in Dubai :(

This hasn't really been that well reported. I think he would have made more of an impact if he did it from the Burj.
Old May 18th 2011, 4:19 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

very sad
Old May 18th 2011, 5:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Millhouse
This hasn't really been that well reported. I think he would have made more of an impact if he did it from the Burj.
Perhaps he didn't do it for attention I really hope this doesn't start a 'lemming-like' following now. Will keep the cleaners busy, if nothing else
Old May 18th 2011, 5:59 am
Roving Donny fan.

Location: Doncaster, UK. But not for long!!! Where's my visa!!!
glynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really nice

poor LuLu.
Old May 18th 2011, 6:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

"...was last employed with Splash, a Landmark Group company...."

Old May 18th 2011, 6:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

landmark gets more than its pound of flesh from employees...they pay rubbish and expect you to work 24/7...no wonder this poor guy was stressed...

MM, xx

Last edited by Madam Medusa; May 18th 2011 at 7:28 am.
Old May 18th 2011, 6:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok this does sound heartless and my sympathy goes to the family, and of course I pity the guy, but what is wrong with a warm bath and a razor blade(cut up the arm not across)? Or a hose pipe and your car, or a gun? Lots of private ways to top yourself. What happens if some innocent person is walking outside and has a person commiting suicide lands on their head? Or just seeing it happen must be horrible, keep it private I say.
Old May 18th 2011, 7:26 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Didn't I read somewhere that two Indians commit suicide every week in Dubai? Grim statistics provided by the Indian consulate I recall.
Old May 18th 2011, 8:11 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Didn't I read somewhere that two Indians commit suicide every week in Dubai? Grim statistics provided by the Indian consulate I recall.
Not quite that many, but still too many.

http://www.news24online.com/Indians-...s24_24492.aspx

Dubai: Of the total number of suicide casesreported from Dubai in 2009 about 70 per cent were Indian nationals, a news report has said adding that of a total 113 people who chose to end their lives, 79 were from the subcontinent.

Citing official figures, Emirates 24/7 said that in 2008, of the 148 cases, 110 were Indians, representing about 74.3 per cent while in the first 10 months of 2010 there were 56 Indian expatriates among the 94 suicide cases a 59.5 per cent of the total number.

While in the first 10 months of 2009, 71 Indians ended their lives among the total 99 people a 71.1 per cent of the total cases. This was a decline of 21 per cent. The month of May last year witnessed the most number of suicide cases, when 10 Indians ended their lives followed by September (9 Indians), January (eight) and March (seven), figures say.

In April and June the figures were six each and in August three each and in February and October two each. Eight Pakistanis were among the 94 reported cases last year. According to an unnamed Indian Consulate official quoted in the report, the hike in the number of suicides among Indians was due to financial reasons.

Some of them had not got their salaries for about six months before they took the drastic step- especially those in the construction field. He added the consulate does receive complaints in this regard. The UAE Ministry of Labour, in fact, has made it mandatory for all listed companies to adopt the WPS system. The high number of Indians can also be attributed to the fact that people from the subcontinent form the majority of expatriates. (PTI)
Old May 18th 2011, 8:20 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by typical
Not quite that many, but still too many.

http://www.news24online.com/Indians-...s24_24492.aspx
My understanding is that WPS is really being implemented, and any companies not using it are under scrutiny. One company I know well is under heavy pressure to include its last few western expats in it. Anyone have any experience?
Old May 18th 2011, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Ok this does sound heartless and my sympathy goes to the family, and of course I pity the guy, but what is wrong with a warm bath and a razor blade(cut up the arm not across)? Or a hose pipe and your car, or a gun? Lots of private ways to top yourself. What happens if some innocent person is walking outside and has a person commiting suicide lands on their head? Or just seeing it happen must be horrible, keep it private I say.
Well jumping is more immediate than the automotive carbon monoxide method . Maybee the person who wants to die is unsure if they could sit through the process, and instead want a very quick spur of the oment method so they don't have a chance to back out?
Old May 18th 2011, 8:43 am
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

Call me unsympatheitic but he left a wife who was six months pregnant and a one year old child. What's going to happen to them? It's a terrible thing to do to your loved ones - my mate's mum committed suicide and he has never EVER got over it even though it happened when he was five.

What happens to her visa? Access to money? Support from loved ones? I actually feel quite angry on her behalf. I know the poor guy must have felt desperate but when you have dependents you have responsibilities.

Life could get really bad but could/would any of you put your family through this?

What a tragedy for everyone involved.
Old May 18th 2011, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute

What % of people jump to their death, and think "oh s****, I dont want to die" when they are falling, a substantial timeframe not less than 7-8 seconds for this guy in JLT

I would guess possibly 50% at least
Old May 18th 2011, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

DustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
My understanding is that WPS is really being implemented, and any companies not using it are under scrutiny. One company I know well is under heavy pressure to include its last few western expats in it. Anyone have any experience?
Yes, certainly being implemented in AD. I set up my company's UAE office recently but was still being paid my salary by Kuwait head office, and one of my staff was paid cash until their bank account was set up. Ministry were on us pretty quickly saying if we didn't include ALL our salaries in WPS within the next month then our labour file would be frozen, we'd be fined and be blacklisted. I was quite impressed!

DB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.