British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Another sad anniversary............ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/another-sad-anniversary-604519/)

The Dean Apr 20th 2009 4:43 pm

Another sad anniversary............

Last week it was the 20th anniversary of Hillsborough............

.......... now today we have the 10th anniversary of the Columbine massacre in the US.

It was probably the first (and still most famous) of what has sadly become a frequent occurrence. I seem to recall that everybody tried to sweep it under the carpet ("just a couple of crazy kids, won't happen again") until Michael Moore admirably used the event to raise the whole subject of gun control in his movie 'Bowling For Columbine'. His destruction of the pro-gun arguments of Charlton Heston was a masterpiece............

Still remember it vividly.........

Alexa Apr 20th 2009 6:22 pm

Re: Another sad anniversary............

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 7496835)

.......... now today we have the 10th anniversary of the Columbine massacre in the US.

It was probably the first (and still most famous) of what has sadly become a frequent occurrence. I seem to recall that everybody tried to sweep it under the carpet ("just a couple of crazy kids, won't happen again") until Michael Moore admirably used the event to raise the whole subject of gun control in his movie 'Bowling For Columbine'. His destruction of the pro-gun arguments of Charlton Heston was a masterpiece............

Speaking of sad anniversaries...it is also Hitler's Birthday today.....a happy event for some of the ME dwellers...but sad for most...one would hope...

Kim67 Apr 21st 2009 1:55 am

Re: Another sad anniversary............

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 7496835)

and in one week, it will be the 13 anniversary of Australia's worst every mass murder shooting at Port Arthur. The government of the time changed the gun laws and touch wood, Australia's never had another on that scale.

April must be the season for angry young men.