Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

another rental increase- rant

another rental increase- rant

Old Jun 9th 2013, 12:36 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: another rental increase- rant

http://www.dubai.ae/en/Lists/HowToGu...orm.aspx?ID=24

http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-n...-as-much-as-50

http://www.timeoutdubai.com/aroundto...2#.UbR1yvkzOvM

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=608657
Old Jun 9th 2013, 12:50 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kitty,

Sorry you're going through this.

The LL is banking on your not willing to put up with the hassles to get you to agree to a 5k rental increase. Remember, he's an arrogant bastard, doesn't care about you and doesn't care about the laws. He's managed to get you to pay top dollar for your flat for the last few years, above comparable market rates. There's nothing fair going on here.

Take a few hours off from work. Gather all your paperwork and all correspondences with the landlord, go to RERA and have them officially advise you if you have a case.

They will most likely say that you do have a case. At that point notify the landlord that RERA recommends you are in the right and that the LL can't raise the rent. Try to have something official in writing from RERA.

Then wait for their reaction. See if the LL backs down.

If not, you can open up a case against them. However, at that point it'll be up to you to decide if you want to put up with the hassles and time involved. Remember, your landlord is banking on you not wanting to do so to get you to agree to an illegal rent increase.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

This is a a copy of an email I got my previous landlord when I threatened him with the Rent Committee back in 2008....

"Dear Mr Mogs,
I talked to Dr Albanna who is deputy chairman of Rent Committee and is
judge
in the committee.I asked him about your reason that you only stayed in
my
villa for one year and he told me that law is superseded and is not
applicable any more
.Therefore its better you don,t waste your money
and to
vacate my villa
as per contract.
Regards
W*anker Landlord"

I took him to the Rent Committee and won my case. I loved his line that that the law was superseded and not applicable any more.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

Scratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond repute

Kitty, I went through a similar experience several years back in Dubai. The landlord was a complete sh1t and three months before renewal he sent to me in writing a demand for 10% increase in rent or move out. He was completely unreasonable and rude. So I decided to string him along by refusing to accept his demands, threatening RERA etc, while at the same time finding somewhere else to live.

I moved apartment in the last week of my contract and then called him 2 days before renewal to confirm I couldn't pay the increase so I would leave as per his correspondence. He immediately offered to lower the price, or payment by more cheques, all of which I told him i was not interested in and left him with an empty flat which took him months to rent again.

In the end I was happy because I found a better place to live, a better landlord, and I left the tw*t with an empty apartment losing him money.

Scratcher
Old Jun 10th 2013, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

Some of these landlords are just so greedy. We know about 5 families from the Springs we live in who have been forced to move this year due to unreasonable rent increases. All of those villas are still emtpy. Serves the greedy b*st*rds right.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

Mogs, that hilarious
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

Greenways is an unknown quantity at this point

So its now my turn, contract is due for renewal at end of October, I called agent asking to renew. We pay 150K for 3 bed in Marina which is, I accept a good price.
We might have accepted a 5% increase - even although they are not due it according to RERA..

Got notice today, asking for 170K. Mikewot I copied and pasted your earlier post to Kittycat into my email and sent it back, thank you.

I'm just waiting for a response.

Only issues are - contract in my husbands name and his company pays the rent (don't think this is a real issue, I'll negotiate and then they will pay). Also the RERA calculator is being updated for can't get figures for after the end of august. Ive emailed RERA to ask (using email address on calculator) but think a response is unlikely.

Last edited by Greenways; Aug 22nd 2013 at 7:37 am. Reason: typo...
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 6:21 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah the calculator seems to be stuck after the end of the month. For anyone else now when you go to the rental calculator there is a link to the 3 relevant laws on the right hand side.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 11:16 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Rather amusingly, our LL's representative has just asked us for an increase for a renewal that is due in six weeks. Really picked the wrong person to mess with...
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 11:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Rather amusingly, our LL's representative has just asked us for an increase for a renewal that is due in six weeks. Really picked the wrong person to mess with...
Oh dear! He really has just poked a hornet's nest with a sharp stick, hasn't he?
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

Robajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud of

I look forward to reading all about it.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 11:25 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robajob
I look forward to reading all about it.
Well, those columns don't write themselves you know!

My 250th column will be published on Saturday. That's an awful of words over the years.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 12:13 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Well, those columns don't write themselves you know!

My 250th column will be published on Saturday. That's an awful of words over the years.
Congratulations are in order for that achievement
Old Aug 24th 2013, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Honestly my landlord is an utter bastard- every year my rent has been put up, I just called to see what it will be for the next year and it has gone up again to 75 k a year on 4 cheques. When I said I was going to check with RERA he turned round and said if you don't like it you can move out as the building is popular so they can charge what they want. Such a rude little shit as well, honestly since when do people have to be so agressive- utter cnut grrr!
A question I wonder too.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 5:10 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Saff_Parker
A question I wonder too.
They get aggressive because they are basically uneducated and use the fact that they can shout as a mask for the fact they know they are inferior (education-wise, and I don't mean degrees) to the person they are shouting at.

Just like that road rage incident, do you think he'd have done that to another local? Of course not.

It's probably why most educated westerners are more chilled out people, we reason and think, you know, engage brain before opening mouth. Unfortunately most of our fellow ex-pats don't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.