Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Another new member saying hello!

Another new member saying hello!

Old Jan 29th 2019, 11:05 am
Just Joined

AdiB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another new member saying hello!

Hi all! Newbie to the forum, and thought I’d introduce myself before I come back and ask any questions! Currently live in London and having discussions with my company right now about doing a secondment, based in Dubai. Married, with 3 kids (two are of Primary School age, and one under 1). Haven’t had much time for hobbies in recent years but I’m into football, steak, and the odd round of golf.My experience of Dubai is mainly based on business trips and holidays. Loved every visit (including two trips with the family last year)……but not that useful in terms of understanding the realities of actually living out there! The secondment would be for say 3 years, and I’d have a role back in the UK after that (with flexibility to finish earlier / later). Finances would obviously be a factor but wouldn’t be the only reason for making the move if we do it. Not looking to live an extravagant lifestyle by any means – but would want my family and I to live comfortably enough to enjoy it while we are there. I’ve been doing some basic research to gauge cost of living, and will come back shortly with some initial estimates – would really appreciate some feedback, as I’m sure I’ll be way off for some items!Thanks!
Old Jan 29th 2019, 11:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another new member saying hello!

Originally Posted by AdiB
Hi all! Newbie to the forum, and thought I’d introduce myself before I come back and ask any questions! Currently live in London and having discussions with my company right now about doing a secondment, based in Dubai. Married, with 3 kids (two are of Primary School age, and one under 1). Haven’t had much time for hobbies in recent years but I’m into football, steak, and the odd round of golf.My experience of Dubai is mainly based on business trips and holidays. Loved every visit (including two trips with the family last year)……but not that useful in terms of understanding the realities of actually living out there! The secondment would be for say 3 years, and I’d have a role back in the UK after that (with flexibility to finish earlier / later). Finances would obviously be a factor but wouldn’t be the only reason for making the move if we do it. Not looking to live an extravagant lifestyle by any means – but would want my family and I to live comfortably enough to enjoy it while we are there. I’ve been doing some basic research to gauge cost of living, and will come back shortly with some initial estimates – would really appreciate some feedback, as I’m sure I’ll be way off for some items!Thanks!
Hi - and welcome.
There's a lot of great knowledge here - and messages are sometimes delivered quite straight which people don't always like... but stick around.

Anyway - 3 kids, the reality is that you're be spending around 100K-150K AED in school fees (total) per year for 2 in school and one part time... Just keep that in mind.
Old Jan 29th 2019, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Millhouse. Would certainly prefer to get straight messaging now so I can make the right decision for us, than get a shock after I've accepted and moved. On the school fees - yep, I've become aware of that and will factor it in. I'll post my initial estimates later today, and hopefully get some feedback. Cheers.
Old Jan 29th 2019, 4:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE
Old Jan 30th 2019, 9:32 am
Just Joined

Thanks Bob!
Old Jan 30th 2019, 12:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Do it or your kids will grow up having to walk through metal detectors at school and will stabbed or shot or mugged by people on scooters EVERY break time.
Old Jan 30th 2019, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

DOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Hi - and welcome.
There's a lot of great knowledge here - and messages are sometimes delivered quite straight which people don't always like... but stick around.

Anyway - 3 kids, the reality is that you're be spending around 100K-150K AED in school fees (total) per year for 2 in school and one part time... Just keep that in mind.
This is exactly why i like it here.