Another Dubai Rape

Old Jun 2nd 2010, 12:35 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another Dubai Rape

Just reported in the Daily Mail but allegedly happened months ago. Somebody there obviously dislikes Dubai. Incidentally, has anyone been to the Dubai Marina Hotel Club as it's not a place I'm familiar with?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...referrer=yahoo
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 12:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another Dubai Rape

Originally Posted by lionheart View Post
Just reported in the Daily Mail but allegedly happened months ago. Somebody there obviously dislikes Dubai. Incidentally, has anyone been to the Dubai Marina Hotel Club as it's not a place I'm familiar with?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...referrer=yahoo
"The defendant denies rape, claiming the alleged victim took off her clothes and offered sex to pay for her fare home."

Her "fare"?? He offered her a lift.

Guilty, m'Lud...............
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 1:49 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

no idea where that might have been, as far as I know there isn't a Dubai Marina Hotel club...stupid for accepting a ride with some random guy though, at that time outside a hotel or a club there should be plenty of taxis around...
I also wonder where 'the desert' is in relation to where she got into the car, she had a phone with her, so why not make a call while she was in the car...why not attract attention from people in other cars...it doesn't say he had a knife or a gun.
not sure if that's the case with other cars, but mine has central locking but at the passenger side there is a button to undo your side...

The guy probably thought he got 'lucky' getting a drunken, 'emotional' (what does that mean) british girl in his car...not saying he was right to rape her of course, before anyone thinks I am, but she was not clever for getting herself into a potentially risky situation.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 2:05 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Dean View Post
"The defendant denies rape, claiming the alleged victim took off her clothes and offered sex to pay for her fare home." Her "fare"?? He offered her a lift.
Guilty, m'Lud...............
That was a completely different rape involving a Pakistani taxi driver, as I'm sure you knew.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 9:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart View Post
That was a completely different rape involving a Pakistani taxi driver, as I'm sure you knew.
No, silly - read the link you posted - that was this guy's defence in court.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 3:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by The Dean View Post
No, silly - read the link you posted - that was this guy's defence in court.
........... hmmmm - on reading it again, you might be right - confusingly written, don't you agree?
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 4:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

no idea where that might have been, as far as I know there isn't a Dubai Marina Hotel club...stupid for accepting a ride with some random guy though, at that time outside a hotel or a club there should be plenty of taxis around...
I also wonder where 'the desert' is in relation to where she got into the car, she had a phone with her, so why not make a call while she was in the car...why not attract attention from people in other cars...it doesn't say he had a knife or a gun.
not sure if that's the case with other cars, but mine has central locking but at the passenger side there is a button to undo your side...

The guy probably thought he got 'lucky' getting a drunken, 'emotional' (what does that mean) british girl in his car...not saying he was right to rape her of course, before anyone thinks I am, but she was not clever for getting herself into a potentially risky situation.
As much as I agree with you on a certain level, I do think you're being a bit harsh, we all make stupid decisions now and again and I think it is more luck than judegment that more women haven't been raped through incidents like this etc. Yes you need to keep your wits about you and this girl obviously let her guard down whether that be through alcohol or just naivity. As much as all your advice makes sense sometimes when you are in these situations you don't think clearly- I've sat in the back of taxis before wondering where we're going when they have taken different routes and could have ended up some back alley because I don't like to be confrontational. At what point do you realise your in danger? Yes in theory she should never have got in a car with a stranger but I've got lifts from friends of friends who are essentially strangers to me, and as a teenager I used to get lifts from people I'd met that evening. Confidence to get yourself out of these situations and maturity not to get yourself into this siituations comes with age. I think you should give her a break and accept that the majority of people make stupid decisions at some point in their lives, unfortunately for this girl its led to her being raped.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 5:57 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1 View Post
As much as I agree with you on a certain level, I do think you're being a bit harsh, we all make stupid decisions now and again and I think it is more luck than judegment that more women haven't been raped through incidents like this etc. Yes you need to keep your wits about you and this girl obviously let her guard down whether that be through alcohol or just naivity. As much as all your advice makes sense sometimes when you are in these situations you don't think clearly- I've sat in the back of taxis before wondering where we're going when they have taken different routes and could have ended up some back alley because I don't like to be confrontational. At what point do you realise your in danger? Yes in theory she should never have got in a car with a stranger but I've got lifts from friends of friends who are essentially strangers to me, and as a teenager I used to get lifts from people I'd met that evening. Confidence to get yourself out of these situations and maturity not to get yourself into this siituations comes with age. I think you should give her a break and accept that the majority of people make stupid decisions at some point in their lives, unfortunately for this girl its led to her being raped.
why should I give her a break...if it had been my daughter one of the things I would have said to her is that she was a stupid stupid cow for getting into a car with a stranger, at 3.30 and in an 'emotional' state...and I would have asked the sister why the hell she let her go off on her own.
Women have to stop needlessly putting themselves into potentially risky situations, and most of all they should stop worrying about 'offending' a guy or being confrontational when they think something isn't right...I'd rather offend than being raped in the desert.
My post was a reaction to the vague way the story was reported, as it doesn't really give any insight into what has actually happened.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 7:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

so you're daughter gets raped and you tell her shes stupid? I'm sure she would have already realised that!

You're right that you shouldn't put yourself in dumb situations but inevitably these things happen! Perhaps we're not all Captain Sensibles every minute of the day. In london I wouldn't use an illegal cab for exactly this reason, however on occassions when I've been stood in the rain for ages and can't get a hackney to go south of the river and just want to get home, I have done as a last resort. I have taken pictures of my drivers reg number and text it to friends and let him know Im doing it, but I still put myself in that position as have many of my friends. we all take chances everynow and again. Most of the time its fine and the guys aren't going to rape you etc but for a small percentage of women they are the unlucky ones.

I'm obviously not saying get a lift with a stranger and take needless risks on a daily basis, but I think you must be the only woman in the world who hasn't put herself in a vunerable situation at some point in her life! Maybe all women are stupid at that moment in time when they make a poor decision, but hey thats life we can't all be perfect all the time, having been raped I don't think that is the time to remind them of their stupidity.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 7:35 am
hmmmm...nice

Originally Posted by kittycat1 View Post
so you're daughter gets raped and you tell her shes stupid? I'm sure she would have already realised that!

You're right that you shouldn't put yourself in dumb situations but inevitably these things happen! Perhaps we're not all Captain Sensibles every minute of the day. In london I wouldn't use an illegal cab for exactly this reason, however on occassions when I've been stood in the rain for ages and can't get a hackney to go south of the river and just want to get home, I have done as a last resort. I have taken pictures of my drivers reg number and text it to friends and let him know Im doing it, but I still put myself in that position as have many of my friends. we all take chances everynow and again. Most of the time its fine and the guys aren't going to rape you etc but for a small percentage of women they are the unlucky ones.

I'm obviously not saying get a lift with a stranger and take needless risks on a daily basis, but I think you must be the only woman in the world who hasn't put herself in a vunerable situation at some point in her life! Maybe all women are stupid at that moment in time when they make a poor decision, but hey thats life we can't all be perfect all the time, having been raped I don't think that is the time to remind them of their stupidity.
I should certainly hope that she'll realise she's been stupid, but yeah, I would tell her just in case she hasn't and still thinks she can do whatever she likes and that nothing will ever happen to her cause that's not the way it works...

I think you are missing the point I am trying to make...

if my laptop gets stolen off the front seat of my unlocked car, people would tell me I am stupid for leaving it there...if I'd say yeah, but taking it from my car is theft which isn't allowed, people would still say that I should have been more responsible...
if I earn 20,000 dhs a month and spend 30,000 every month and get into debt, people would say I am stupid for getting into that situation, I'd say but the banks kept giving me credit cards...people would still say I should have known better and that I should have been more responsible...
if I drive home after a night of drinking and get involved in an accident, people would say that I am stupid, I'd say but it wasn't my fault, the other car crashed into me while I was waiting for the red light...people would still say I was stupid for driving whilst having had alcohol and I should have been more responsible...
but when a woman gets raped after getting into a car with a stranger, being drunk and not telling her sister about it, I can't say anything and I need to 'give her a break'....errrr why?
yes, there are loads of situations where a woman can't have done anything to prevent such a thing happening to her, and getting raped must be one of the worst things that can happen to anyone...but in some cases a woman can be called stupid for having done something to put herself into a risky situation and there is nothing wrong to point that out.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I do understand your point Matahari, however being raped cannot be compared to having your bag stolen, do you need councilling after having your laptop stolen, do you have to have the indignified act of having a police medical after getting yourself into debt, and having a pregnancy and aids test after having your bag stolen. Many women never emotionally recover from rape and I am sure anyone that has been raped would be well aware that they were stupid enough to get themselves into that situation- they do not need reminding of that by anyone else especially their loved ones, what they need is to be told they are loved and supported and they aren't dirty or unclean or any of the other things they feel afterwards. A bit of compassion rather than a lecture would be better.

How many rape victims do you think say to themselves I was soo stupid to get mysef in that situation- practically all of them, its one thing you really don't need to be told again!

It is stupid to get yourself into that situation, however we all take risks, this girl is unlucky enough that her risk has left her emotionally scared for life, is she more stupid than anyone else, no because most other people have taken a similar risk at some point in their life, she has just has been unlucky to be one of the girls who has been raped. Stupid- no more than anyone else just incredibly unlucky!
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 8:47 am
hmmmm...nice

yeah...but that's all got nothing to do with what I am saying, but never mind, guess my English isn't as good as I thought it was.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 10:12 am
Millhouse is not a meme

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

well, I glad that I stayed out of this one.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 10:27 am
hmmmm...nice

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse View Post
well, I glad that I stayed out of this one.
can I give you a lift?
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 10:35 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Some people wrongly call "The Address, Dubai Marina" as the "Dubai Marina Hotel"...so I'm assuming the venue might be either Shades (where I often go) or Blends, but these are not "clubs". Got to laugh at their Cigar Bar - cigarette smokers are banned - you have to smoke a cigar only !

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.