Another Cyclist Killed

Old Sep 8th 2013, 10:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another Cyclist Killed

Originally Posted by commander
because at 5am there isn't a car in sight on a Friday morning. We have support and its safe, notwithstanding some act like last week. Here there are massively wide roads and huge hard shoulders that they just don't have in the UK. I would wager that you are safer cycling on the 611 than cycling down Al Wasl Road.

You can call it stupid, that is your opinion. I risk assess everything I do in my work and life. Cycling and triathlon is a huge part of what/who I am. I wont stop. I the outcome of my risk assessment was negative, I wouldn't do it.
Is it legal here? or just a case of no law on the subject thus acceptable?

Anyway, good luck to you -- each to their own and you take your chances. I just don't really see the point when there are dedicated facilities to do it.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 11:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

drinking and smoking too much will likely kill you. Is it really worth it?

As I stated above. its a huge part of my life and who we are. I'm not going to stop cycling because one day a pissed driver may smash into me. he could also smash into me whilst I walk down the road on the pavement. Yet, you wont stop walking in public.

I recognize the risk.
Good point.

It's 'mad' to cycle on roads here (I generally agree with that notion) but the same tragic result could come if you had been jogging around Safa park.

It's pretty chaotic driving and you could have been hit by the drunk driver and killed in an accident.

Life in general can be dangerous and not doing something you love for fear is going to leave you with a pretty dull existence.

Rock on Commander and keep safe eh.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 1:09 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Is it legal here? or just a case of no law on the subject thus acceptable?

Anyway, good luck to you -- each to their own and you take your chances. I just don't really see the point when there are dedicated facilities to do it.
there is a dedicated facility for me to cycle to Ras Al Khaimah for a training weekend?
Old Sep 8th 2013, 1:09 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Good point.

It's 'mad' to cycle on roads here (I generally agree with that notion) but the same tragic result could come if you had been jogging around Safa park.

It's pretty chaotic driving and you could have been hit by the drunk driver and killed in an accident.

Life in general can be dangerous and not doing something you love for fear is going to leave you with a pretty dull existence.

Rock on Commander and keep safe eh.
cheers mate and I agree totally.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 1:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

there is a dedicated facility for me to cycle to Ras Al Khaimah for a training weekend?
Safety to one side, it's ****ing miles away....
Old Sep 8th 2013, 11:50 pm
banned

Originally Posted by Scamp
Safety to one side, it's ****ing miles away....
It's not really, I think it's about a 4 hour nice and easy cycle
Everything is pretty flat here, unlike back home.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 4:41 am
Account Closed

It's not really, I think it's about a 4 hour nice and easy cycle
Everything is pretty flat here, unlike back home.
But how many bottles of vodka can you carry on the way back from Barracuda?
Old Sep 9th 2013, 8:39 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Would we be having this debate if the pissed driver swerved round the support car, mounted a pavement and took out a mother having an early morning stroll with her kids?

The problem here is drunk drivers, not cyclists on the roads.

And believe me, Roy knew what he was doing and the main focus of his Triathlon group was training and racing SAFE.
Exactly....

Given this is one of the most dangerous places to drive in the world there's a gamble just going to work or popping to the shops. I bet most serious cyclists take more precautions than most expat motorists here who whine about the driving but don't indicate, don't drive defensively and within speed limits and who text and make calls (seen so many westerners doing that in my 13 years here but it still angers me in ways seeing other people doing it doesn't).

A drunk driver could kill someone just as easily in the UK...and they do. You can't stupid proof the world unfortunately. Just try to prepare for the worst and get on with things.

N.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

I am mixed on the subject of cyclists on the roads. In the early morning on empty quite roads then knock yourself out. It's more the thinner twisty roads like up here in the mountains where they get me. In the winter they (group of 20-30 young Arabs) often train on the road back from my site going back into RAK. It's about 25Km and they are all in a bunch with a pick up following up their chuff. All good I hear you say, however, the pickup is stuck in the middle of the road and won't let anyone pass. This obviously pisses all the car drivers off an they don't wish to travel at 20-30km/Hr on a perfectly good road for 1 hour when they could be doing 60-80km (in reality 120km+) and do it in 10-20 mins. This leads to people getting impatient and that's what leads to accidents.

Either way, that's a different situation to what had occurred.

RIP to your friend. Hope the DUI guy gets bummed in clink.

As for banning dangerous things..... why? I've grown up doing dangerous activities, from rock climbing, snowboarding, yacht racing, scuba diving, caving, riding motorbikes (in Dubai) etc. If I cark it doing on of these then at least I was enjoying myself rather than wrapping myself up in cotton wool and being massively bored.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm speechless

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/dubai...te-520822.html
Old Sep 30th 2013, 12:48 pm
banned

Originally Posted by Sandboy
But surely not surprised. ****ing joke
Old Sep 30th 2013, 12:51 pm
Account Closed

Unreal.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

sadly not Commander - some days I really miss Dubai, then I read stuff like this and thank my lucky stars I survived 10 years unscathed
Old Sep 30th 2013, 1:15 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

****ing disgraceful.

So four months from now he will be free and back on the roads.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 1:16 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Utterly disgusted.

Edited to add - have you noticed how the nationality of the driver has changed in the news reports?

Last edited by Meow; Sep 30th 2013 at 1:30 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.