Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Another case of a vehicle's brakes 'malfunctioning'

Another case of a vehicle's brakes 'malfunctioning'

Old Dec 10th 2013, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another case of a vehicle's brakes 'malfunctioning'

Fujairah police saved an Emirati female driver after her car brakes failed to deactivate the cruise control mechanism while she was travelling between Dubai and Fujairah at 140 kmph.

Several police vehicle surrounded her car to clear the way as she headed for Fujairah on Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Road before she was told to shift gear to “N” position.

The woman, identified as AMA, was then asked by the police through her mobile phone to keep pressing the brakes while maintaining the “N” gear.

“The car later stopped without any accident and the driver suffered no injuries,” police said in a statement.
Possible I guess, but is it likely....

How hard is it to figure out to shift into Neutral and pull/step-on the parking brake, does one really need to be instructed by the police to do this.

http://www.emirates247.com/news/emir...12-10-1.530817
Old Dec 11th 2013, 1:58 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another case of a vehicle's brakes 'malfunctioning'

Given the number of these that happen here, if it was anything other than user error there would have been a huge recall and repair by the manufacturers.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 2:57 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

I note that all of these reports are Emirati females. I wonder what 'training' or instruction they're being given on cruise control because they obviously have no idea on how it works.
On my Golf either touching the brake, or the accelerator or deselecting cruise control switches it off.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 3:47 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
I note that all of these reports are Emirati females. I wonder what 'training' or instruction they're being given on cruise control because they obviously have no idea on how it works.
On my Golf either touching the brake, or the accelerator or deselecting cruise control switches it off.
does touching brake not override cruise control on every vehicle by design?
Old Dec 11th 2013, 4:03 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
I would have thought so. But I wonder if these women are switching the cruise on accidentally and then are wondering why the car is maintaining speed when they're not touching the accelerator, PANIC!!!
Old Dec 11th 2013, 4:13 am
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by mikewot
I would have thought so. But I wonder if these women are switching the cruise on accidentally and then are wondering why the car is maintaining speed when they're not touching the accelerator, PANIC!!!
i honestly believe that people like that shouldn't be allowed to drive
Old Dec 11th 2013, 4:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

i honestly believe that people like that shouldn't be allowed to pro-create
Edited to show what I think.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 4:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

i honestly believe that people like that shouldn't be allowed to drive
You are assuming that they have a license to do so.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 4:48 am
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by Millhouse
You are assuming that they have a license to do so.
good point, silly me
Old Dec 11th 2013, 5:00 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Possible I guess, but is it likely....

How hard is it to figure out to shift into Neutral and pull/step-on the parking brake, does one really need to be instructed by the police to do this.

http://www.emirates247.com/news/emir...12-10-1.530817
speeding and using mobile phone, wonder if she got fined ....
Old Dec 11th 2013, 5:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute

I find it irresponsible that the paper does not point out that each of these cases happen to a segment not more than 5-10% of the driving population
Old Dec 11th 2013, 6:09 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Maxima
I find it irresponsible that the paper does not point out that each of these cases happen to a segment not more than 5-10% of the driving population
I think that the fact they always mention "Emirati Woman" is suffice.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
speeding and using mobile phone, wonder if she got fined ....
In one of the older threads on said issue, someone suggested that this may be a case of an Emirati with wasta speeding and when caught they and police concoct this excuse. This allows the Police to save face and look like competent helpers. This ofcourse assumes other people were affected/witnessed it.

It just seems kinda odd how soo many Police catch up to the speeding vehicle.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 3:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Yes.....but in our old car, once you let go, it would kick back in. Same for the accelerator.

Still, what kind of idiot wouldn't slap the car into neutral.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 7:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Bob
Yes.....but in our old car, once you let go, it would kick back in. Same for the accelerator.

Still, what kind of idiot wouldn't slap the car into neutral.
An Arab kind of idiot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.