British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Another Case of UAE Rape (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/another-case-uae-rape-668738/)

lionheart May 18th 2010 10:56 am

Another Case of UAE Rape

According to this article, if a woman consents to being in a car with a man, she is effectively consenting to having sex. An interesting thought...:ohmy:
http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs....705179850/1010

al dente May 18th 2010 11:52 am

Re: Another Case of UAE Rape

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 8572881)
According to this article, if a woman consents to being in a car with a man, she is effectively consenting to having sex. An interesting thought...:ohmy:
http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs....705179850/1010

and if you commit rape you don't even have to bother going to the trial. Bloody disgusting.

According to the ladeez on EW, there is a suspicion of an 'honour punishment' indicated by the fact that none of her family were in court to support her and that they hadn't organised a lawyer.

littlejimmy May 18th 2010 1:33 pm

Un****ingbelievable.

Alexa May 18th 2010 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 8573351)
Un****ingbelievable.

Sadly not unbelievable at all. When will these girls realize that they may put themselves in grave danger by entering a car like this?
I am not excusing at all what these arseholes did, but sadly it is not uncommon and women must realize this. They must also realize that they may not have a chance in court.

Bahtatboy May 18th 2010 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Alexa (Post 8573375)
Sadly not unbelievable at all. When will these girls realize that they may put themselves in grave danger by entering a car like this?
I am not excusing at all what these arseholes did, but sadly it is not uncommon and women must realize this. They must also realize that they may not have a chance in court.

And how are they going to get that knowledge? I hope I've instilled in my kids (who are in the UK) the essential do's and don'ts, plus there's a good amount of sensible advice given out in schools, the media and so forth in the UK, plus they have the opportunity to gain street smartness. Where are local youth going to get their guidance--the media's a sham, I can't imagine such topics being taught in schools here, which leaves their male family members to guide them...

Millhouse May 18th 2010 2:13 pm

must have been a big car.

Hello.Kitty May 18th 2010 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Alexa (Post 8573375)

True, but from what I gather from the article, she got in the car with one friend who then called 5 of his mates to join them.

The fact that she's the one being punished is incredible.

Grace O Malley May 18th 2010 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty (Post 8573444)
True, but from what I gather from the article, she got in the car with one friend who then called 5 of his mates to join them.

The fact that she's the one being punished is incredible.

Yes yes and yes and its disgusting, however, under local traditions and customs she should have not been with this guy alone, unless he is an immediate member of family.

lionheart May 18th 2010 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley (Post 8573647)
Yes yes and yes and its disgusting, however, under local traditions and customs she should have not been with this guy alone, unless he is an immediate member of family.

What if they were just good friends and she thought he was just taking her to the local shopping mall?

Alexa May 18th 2010 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley (Post 8573647)

Indeed, the local girls DO know better. Except this one, or so it seems.
As I said, what happened is despicable, no question. But far from uncommon.

Thing is, those boys may have felt entitled, as this girl might have had, due to local customs, a certain reputation.

Alexa May 18th 2010 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 8573662)
What if they were just good friends and she thought he was just taking her to the local shopping mall?

No local girl would sit in a car with boys not from her family.
Unless she is from a very progressive family. And even then, it is not really done.
Plus, girls from progressive families hang out with boys from progressive families, and those usually, don't do what those morons did.

Euc- May 18th 2010 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Alexa (Post 8573742)
No local girl would sit in a car with boys not from her family.
Unless she is from a very progressive family. And even then, it is not really done.
Plus, girls from progressive families hang out with boys from progressive families, and those usually, don't do what those morons did.

What about taxi drivers? Is getting in a taxi for local women asking to get raped?

Alexa May 18th 2010 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Euc- (Post 8573838)
What about taxi drivers? Is getting in a taxi for local women asking to get raped?

It has happened to non local women.
But that is beside the point. This case is about a girl getting in a car with boys.

And as I said, what has happened is despicable, should neither happen, nor be tolerated.
But it does happen.
Therefore girls MUST be careful, because, as we see, IF something happens, not only do they suffer tremendously, but they are punished on top of it.

Until things change, if that ever happens, I would prefer to be careful.

Alexa May 18th 2010 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Euc- (Post 8573838)

Plus, you must not forget, if an expatriate driver so much as says the wrong thing to a local woman, he is out on his arse before he can put the blinker on.

kittycat1 May 18th 2010 5:38 pm

This is awful, my heart goes out to the poor woman, I can't imagine anything worse, to be gang raped and then you end up the criminal, how this poor woman moves on from this is beyond me. Would they have offered pregnancy tests,sti tests etc?

I dred to think what the number of rape crimes is here, I am sure the majority must go unreported for this very reason, absolutely disgusting.