British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Another British woman 'falls from balcony'..... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/another-british-woman-falls-balcony-793515/)

britexpat76 May 1st 2013 9:39 am

Re: Another British woman 'falls from balcony'.....

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10686552)
I heard a brief news report on the radio earlier, which I believe is related to this case. The husband has returned to the UAE to collect his wife's body and had to go to a police station to sign papers. He'd had a couple of drinks, so the police hit him with a fine of AED 2,000 for drinking without a licence.

Compassionate people aren't they?

:(

Is that not the Bike guy, who was reportedly jailed? The Emirates lass was single.

Meow May 1st 2013 9:44 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10686584)
Is that not the Bike guy, who was reportedly jailed? The Emirates lass was single.

Yes, that's the one. The case of the woman on her honeymoon. So many people 'fall' from balconies that it's easy to get the cases muddled (and I didn't bother to check the rest of this thread). :(

Poor bloke must have been distraught and probably had some drinks to take the edge off. Can't blame him and the police are insensitive.

britexpat76 May 1st 2013 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10686595)
Yes, that's the one. The case of the woman on her honeymoon. So many people 'fall' from balconies that it's easy to get the cases muddled (and I didn't bother to check the rest of this thread). :(

Poor bloke must have been distraught and probably had some drinks to take the edge off. Can't blame him and the police are insensitive.

Funny you mention it. I looked yesterday (As there was ANOTHER balcony death over the weekend) to see if there was any updates and there was nothing. I am sure they slung him in the cells and took his passport. Bastards.

Meow May 1st 2013 10:04 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10686600)
Funny you mention it. I looked yesterday (As there was ANOTHER balcony death over the weekend) to see if there was any updates and there was nothing. I am sure they slung him in the cells and took his passport. Bastards.

The ARN story said he received a fine. Probably put him in a cell until he was sober before fining him. Poor sod.

Bongoman2 May 1st 2013 10:11 am

Not just a fine, but 4 days in the clink....

Makes me wonder if he might have said something inflammatory them as well?

The paper today said he had already left the country and online says he was fined in his absence. Semantics hey

The Dean May 1st 2013 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10686552)
I heard a brief news report on the radio earlier, which I believe is related to this case. The husband has returned to the UAE to collect his wife's body and had to go to a police station to sign papers. He'd had a couple of drinks, so the police hit him with a fine of AED 2,000 for drinking without a licence.

Compassionate people aren't they?

:(

It's confusing anyway - the law, that is........... a tourist staying at a hotel can legally drink in that hotel without a licence....... anything else? :confused:

Kix Jun 2nd 2013 5:27 am

Today's 7days says the parents think she was murdered (as do I).

7 days

The grieving parents of air stewardess Evelyn Clarke, who plunged to her death in Dubai, believe she may have been murdered.

Her parents, Eddie and Maryann, have been piecing together Evelyn’s final movements with the help of friends and colleagues in Dubai. They believe the 28-year-old’s drink could have been spiked on the night she died and that she was fleeing from whoever did it moments before she fell to her death in Bur Dubai.

Witnesses told police that Evelyn, pictured, ran into a building barefoot about 4.30am on April 7, shouting that someone was trying to kill her.

Police said she fell from a top-floor window of the seven-storey Afaf building a few minutes later, having discharged a fire extinguisher. They said they are treating her death as accidental.

However, Maryann, 55, and Eddie, 60, speaking from Scotland yesterday, are convinced it was not an accident. Eddie said: “Maryann breaks her heart every night, she can’t stop crying.” They have visited the building where Evelyn fell and spoke to some of the last people to see her alive.

Maryann, speaking publicly for the first time about her daughter’s death, said: “I think her drink was spiked. I believe she has been murdered.” She added: “The security guard in the building said Evelyn was shouting that someone was going to kill her. He said there was an Asian man lurking in the building. We went to the police and they said they couldn’t tell us anything.”

Maryann said their inquiries found that Evelyn started the night at Fibber Magee’s bar with cabin crew.

She said: “They left and she stayed, alone. She was talking to a businessman who she didn’t know.

“There were two guys from Aberdeen there who said they had seen Evelyn about 1am. She went on to a bar, Warehouse, with the businessman. When two cabin crew she knew spoke to her, he got aggressive, telling them to get away from her.”

The couple have been told that from there Evelyn was heading to Rock Bottom in Bur Dubai about 2am. Eddie said: “This man maybe offered to drive her home - but she panicked and jumped out of the car. Where she died was about four miles from her home.” He said tests revealed she had four drinks in her system.

7DAYS tried to contact Dubai Police on Saturday but no one was available for comment.
Wonder who the businessman was - and surely the couple would have been caught on CCTV, I'm quite sure the Warehouse has loads if not Fibbers for entrance and exit?

And yes, Rock Bottom raises it's ugly head again.

The Dean Jun 2nd 2013 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10736352)

7 days

Wonder who the businessman was - and surely the couple would have been caught on CCTV, I'm quite sure the Warehouse has loads if not Fibbers for entrance and exit?

What happened to her body? Was it repatriated home? They could surely have commisioned an independent post-mortem?

Meow Jun 2nd 2013 9:29 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10736477)
What happened to her body? Was it repatriated home? They could surely have commisioned an independent post-mortem?

Don't bodies have to be embalmed to be repatriated? Can't do a proper post-mortem after that,

Boomhauer Jun 2nd 2013 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10736352)

7 days

So Dubai police are going with the "accident" conclusion because to claim suspected foul play would not look good on Brand Dubai and would also mean the police need to find the cuplrit, something they are likely not competent/capable of doing.

mentalist Jun 2nd 2013 10:02 am

This concerns the stewardess who fell from a window in Mankhool, Bur Dubai rather than the newly wed staying at Jumerirah Creek Hotel with her biker husband. Anyway, if her drink had been spiked with hallucagenics or if she was being chased by the suspect and either fell or jumped from the upper floor window, surely the guy can be charged with culpable homicide even if murder cannot be proven. An accident is hardly the most accurate description.:thumbdown:

jam25mack Jun 2nd 2013 11:29 am

I'm not sure (but I think I read) that the British Business man who she had been seen having drinks with heard about the incident on the news the next day and voluntarily handed himself into the Po Po's and was then subsequently questioned and let go.