British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Another British woman 'falls from balcony'..... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/another-british-woman-falls-balcony-793515/)

Maxima Apr 15th 2013 9:59 am

Re: Another British woman 'falls from balcony'.....

Originally Posted by Millsyisland (Post 10653208)
Here's a quote from the comments section in the Xpress article:

"Human justice will always prevail in this land..."

Oh dear.

If you had mentioned the name of the writer, it would bring things into perspective

Anton Simon Kristoffer Manalo Tan, Dubai, Philippines

britexpat76 Apr 15th 2013 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10659650)
Yet still people drink to vast excess. I see people falling out of bars and posting pictures on FB on them and their friends absolutely paralytic in a bar.

I'm probably getting old, but I don't see the fun in getting so drunk you can't stand up or see straight. I've always drunk alcohol, still do to a lesser extent, but I've never been a falling-over-making-a-twat-of-myself kind of drinker.

Anyone doing the above is asking for trouble......Men end up fighting and a trip to the cockroach B & B, but I am more worried about the women. I once went over to my mates in Dubai for the night whilst in AD and I had probably been there 30 minutes when he got a phone call of a Russian woman saying there was a woman in a hedge and she had taken her mobile phone off her and called the last number (My friend) My 1st drink of the day got left and we jumped in a cab from the Irish village to the Palm where the sleeping pisshead was and my friend lived. We literally had to throw her in the taxi and take her to my pals carrying her into the Apartment. This was a solicitor in Dubai who had been dumped by her boyfriend of 8 minutes.........

I dread to think how many sexual predators there is in the ME yet females still put themselves in that position. Madness. Also, where are their friends?

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 15th 2013 10:13 am

No matter what, I can get myself home.

Almost fell out with a friend staying with me a few weeks ago, he got so drunk he couldn't find my place (I'd left him because he was being a dick and wouldn't come home). People need to consider not just the implications of their actions for themselves but for whoever else is involved or on the peripherary (sp).

I love to get boozey and have a good time with friends but I know when I need to leave. It's really not worth risking potential incidents and jail over that extra pint.

britexpat76 Apr 15th 2013 10:23 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10659711)
Almost fell out with a friend staying with me a few weeks ago, he got so drunk he couldn't find my place (I'd left him because he was being a dick and wouldn't come home).

That cost a German lad a 4 year sentence in AD. Got lost on holiday, couldn't find his mates house then fell asleep in the cab. Woke up in Jail still smashed and having a blood sample taken. Turns out he was quite the 'pot head' back home...............

Theseus tells me when I have had enough and need to leave.

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 15th 2013 10:40 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10659730)
That cost a German lad a 4 year sentence in AD. Got lost on holiday, couldn't find his mates house then fell asleep in the cab. Woke up in Jail still smashed and having a blood sample taken. Turns out he was quite the 'pot head' back home...............

Crazy. I genuinely see no benefit in getting more pissed or being a dickhead (or more of a dickhead) and running the risk of losing the opportunity I have here in Dubai.

Same as having a pint and driving, you might be fine but someone smashes into you and you're potentially in trouble - why bother risking it?

britexpat76 Apr 15th 2013 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10659764)

Same as having a pint and driving, you might be fine but someone smashes into you and you're potentially in trouble - why bother risking it?

You might as well have 20 pints, the penalty is the same. I do not understand anyone having any alcohol and driving, all to save 10 quid :confused:

Off to an evening brunch tonight and will smash it, but will get a cab there, home and to work in the morning.

Though the chances of me driving anywhere I don't need to are slim to zero. I hate driving.

jam25mack Apr 15th 2013 11:35 am

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10659676)
So it appears that she didn't live in the apartment block where she fell/jumped as the article says that her accommodation was two miles away. That makes the whole incident look more like a criminal act rather than suicide. As the British businessman actually came forward voluntarily, I suspect that the Egyptian and Tunisian men in the convertible car may have been the ones she was running from, not that I am in any way racist. Out of the pan and into the fire, so to speak.

I 'think' the fact that it wasn't her building has been out in the open since the beginning (seem to remember reading it in the first article). Apparently the building she fell from was an Emirates staff building so I guess she must have known this and thinking how tight the security normally is she would be able to get in and anyone following her would be stopped due to not having Emirates Airline ID. Alas the security guard was off having a dump!

It could be the two in the car but the Po Po's have obviously talked to them already and also this doesn't fit with what the paper delivery chap was saying about her being pursued by a well dressed Asian man who questioned him on his way out of the building.

Theseus Apr 15th 2013 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10659730)

I have magic powers. :rofl:

He's on his own tonight, I'm dying at home poorly :(

britexpat76 Apr 15th 2013 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by Theseus (Post 10660528)
I have magic powers. :rofl:

He's on his own tonight, I'm dying at home poorly :(

Thankfully your magic powers worked. I am home and sober......

mentalist Apr 16th 2013 5:33 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 10659858)
I 'think' the fact that it wasn't her building has been out in the open since the beginning (seem to remember reading it in the first article). Apparently the building she fell from was an Emirates staff building so I guess she must have known this and thinking how tight the security normally is she would be able to get in and anyone following her would be stopped due to not having Emirates Airline ID. Alas the security guard was off having a dump!

So she is two miles from her own Emirates accommodation and just happened to run into another Emirates accommodation building? Seems rather odd. Would she have been able to recognise this in her allegedly drunken condition?

jam25mack Apr 16th 2013 7:41 am

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10661415)
So she is two miles from her own Emirates accommodation and just happened to run into another Emirates accommodation building? Seems rather odd. Would she have been able to recognise this in her allegedly drunken condition?

Not really. As Emirates staff don't often work with the same crew they get to mix a lot with each other and so she would probably have had friends in that building and had visited before. They are pretty sociable and have parties, BBQ's etc so generally the staff know which building are Emirates and which are not. Probably more the case if she had been here any length of time.

mentalist Apr 16th 2013 10:33 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 10661548)
Not really. As Emirates staff don't often work with the same crew they get to mix a lot with each other and so she would probably have had friends in that building and had visited before. They are pretty sociable and have parties, BBQ's etc so generally the staff know which building are Emirates and which are not. Probably more the case if she had been here any length of time.

I stand corrected.:o

jackthehat Apr 16th 2013 2:51 pm

Intersting that she 'Fell' or was 'Pushed' from the Eighth Floor, the building in the photograph has only Seven Storeys!

OleJanx Apr 16th 2013 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by jackthehat (Post 10662263)
Intersting that she 'Fell' or was 'Pushed' from the Eighth Floor, the building in the photograph has only Seven Storeys!

Ah, but what the eye can't see...

Meow May 1st 2013 9:07 am

I heard a brief news report on the radio earlier, which I believe is related to this case. The husband has returned to the UAE to collect his wife's body and had to go to a police station to sign papers. He'd had a couple of drinks, so the police hit him with a fine of AED 2,000 for drinking without a licence.

Compassionate people aren't they?

:(