Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Annual car hire insurance

Annual car hire insurance

Old Jul 25th 2018, 10:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Annual car hire insurance

Hello - I want to by an annual policy for car hire insurance. Does anyone know a provider that will cover non-UK residents?
Old Jul 25th 2018, 12:49 pm
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Annual car hire insurance

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Hello - I want to by an annual policy for car hire insurance. Does anyone know a provider that will cover non-UK residents?
You mean insurance for the excess so you don't have to pay the stupid rates at the counter? There are a few - I found some on Google (you are familiar?) when I was dropped by my old insurer who decided not to cover non-EU residents at a certain point. I can't recall names but I think one was Odyssey. Pretty decent coverage was only about 50 or 60 euro a year. I even had to claim once and it was pretty simple and fast (though you have to pay the hire car company excess and then reclaim from the insurance so there is a hassle of form filling, mainly with the hire car company). I was routinely renting cars more than a dozen times a year in different countries so it was a real bargain.

However, I no longer bother as I have discovered that I am already covered by my AmEx card. It's worth checking the fine print on your credit card Ts & Cs as this kind of thing is routinely covered by premium credit cards. Also travel insurance is often included even if you don't pay for the trip on that card - my other half found that his ENBD Platinum visa card covered what's required for Schengen visa for example.
Old Jul 25th 2018, 1:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
You mean insurance for the excess so you don't have to pay the stupid rates at the counter? There are a few - I found some on Google (you are familiar?) when I was dropped by my old insurer who decided not to cover non-EU residents at a certain point. I can't recall names but I think one was Odyssey. Pretty decent coverage was only about 50 or 60 euro a year. I even had to claim once and it was pretty simple and fast (though you have to pay the hire car company excess and then reclaim from the insurance so there is a hassle of form filling, mainly with the hire car company). I was routinely renting cars more than a dozen times a year in different countries so it was a real bargain.

However, I no longer bother as I have discovered that I am already covered by my AmEx card. It's worth checking the fine print on your credit card Ts & Cs as this kind of thing is routinely covered by premium credit cards. Also travel insurance is often included even if you don't pay for the trip on that card - my other half found that his ENBD Platinum visa card covered what's required for Schengen visa for example.
Never heard of google, do you have a link for it?

Via Yahoo, I did find a policy - 125quid for the year which is a little expensive but that's a global policy that seems to cover all acts of stupidity. The previous company stopped providing the cover for expats.

Did the visa office accept the insurance? They wouldn't accept my worldwide health insurance which was a joke - given it covers everything, everywhere and they just wanted to sell their own policy in the center.
Old Jul 26th 2018, 4:37 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

I've always used icarhireinsurance and never yet had a crash, so they must be good.
Old Jul 26th 2018, 4:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by csdf
I've always used icarhireinsurance and never yet had a crash, so they must be good.
pretty sure they don’t cover non-EU residents.
Old Jul 26th 2018, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Ach, you appear to be right, but this is a new development as I've definitely been covered in the past as a UAE resident.
Old Jul 26th 2018, 6:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by csdf
Ach, you appear to be right, but this is a new development as I've definitely been covered in the past as a UAE resident.
yeh, they stopped it a few months back when I went to renew. They were by far the cheapest. Now the cheapest I can find for a non EEC resident is 120quid or 125 for the super-cover,
Old Jul 26th 2018, 10:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

yeh, they stopped it a few months back when I went to renew. They were by far the cheapest. Now the cheapest I can find for a non EEC resident is 120quid or 125 for the super-cover,
Since it has become harder to find the prices have gone up. Used to be 50-60 but now I can't find anything south of 100 quid either.

IMG Europe appear to do it but about 130 quid.
Worldwideinsure still do it, 119 or 125.
Old Jul 26th 2018, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Scamp
Since it has become harder to find the prices have gone up. Used to be 50-60 but now I can't find anything south of 100 quid either.

IMG Europe appear to do it but about 130 quid.
Worldwideinsure still do it, 119 or 125.
I went with Worldwide at 125. The extra 6 pounds seems to buy a lot more cover - including more drivers.

It's almost marginal now on buying it or not, but I've got two weeks of car rental coming up in two countries so I decided to go for it.
Old Jul 26th 2018, 11:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I went with Worldwide at 125. The extra 6 pounds seems to buy a lot more cover - including more drivers.

It's almost marginal now on buying it or not, but I've got two weeks of car rental coming up in two countries so I decided to go for it.
I didn't for the last two trips as they were so short, thought about it as had car for 8 days this trip but didn't in the end.

I'd do it every time if they made it more reasonable.
Old Jul 26th 2018, 7:19 pm
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Just trawled through old emails and Worldwide was the last provider I used but their annual Deluxe top of the line global policy was just GBP55 in 2015 last time I renewed. That's pretty significant inflation unless you have a dirty little secret...

[and if you do, please, please, please keep it secret]
Old Jul 29th 2018, 5:33 am
BE Forum Addict

That's the new standard policy cost unfortunately. At this level it's almost worth self-insuring, like Millhouse says..
Old Jul 29th 2018, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

Worldwide, as already mentioned. I had a policy with them for the past year, and did have to claim against it, and they were very quick at sorting it all out.
https://www.worldwideinsure.com/car-...-insurance.php
Old Jul 31st 2018, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Worldwide for me too.Was 90 GBP in April including the 5% renewal discount.

I'd still say its good value as I have put my mum and my sister on there.

Excess at the rental desk is about 15 GBP a day and the third party pay per trip policies are about 4 GBP a day.