British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Animal Welfare Petition (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/animal-welfare-petition-791638/)

Blue Cat Mar 24th 2013 12:00 pm

Animal Welfare Petition

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/860/6...nimal-welfare/

Can you take a few minutes to sign this petition re the implementation of Federal Law for animal welfare. It has come on the back on the sad Iguana situation at Safa Park last week.

Thank you

Blue Cat Mar 24th 2013 12:09 pm

Re: Animal Welfare Petition

Am just a loss for words. Folks, forgive me for sharing this horribleness but wondering what, if anything can be done??

This from a Friend of NASVH:
"(Yesterday afternoon) a neighbour came back from a walk to say that she saw a beautiful green Common Iguana sitting in a tree on the sand near our villas. Two other neighbours also witnessed the iguana in the tree on their walk passed.

At approximately 5.30pm, my 15 year old daughter and housemaid were walking our dogs across the same sand area.

They saw:
- 2 Police Officers,
- a Security Guard (from the nearby Arabic newspaper company that faces the sand area) AND
- three young boys (aged approximately 10 years old)..............

........... My daughter witnessed all those present throwing stones and rocks at the iguana. It was alive and attempting to escape.

One of the boys caught the animal by its tail and threw it!

She saw the security guard pick up a very large rock and bring it down on the iguana.

The stoning continued despite my daughter's cries for mercy; she shouted at them repeatedly to stop! When she was ignored, she ran home for help. She arrived home extremely distraught by what she had witnessed.

A neighbour and my husband, raced to the sand area ...... & chased the boys away (the policemen had already gone) and found eggs smashed in the sand. It took them a while to find the iguana, which was by now dead. It had been disemboweled and was hanging in a nearby tree, photos are attached. My husband removed the body and buried it.

Having lived on the edge of the park for the last 11 years, we have had several sightings of these quiet, vegetarian lizards. They have lived peacefully here for years!"

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 24th 2013 1:17 pm

If that picture is real it is ****ing disgusting.

What is wrong with people? Especially adults involved as well?

Kids should know better, or at least be taught better. I loved seeing animals when I was playing in parks as a nipper, but I never thought about stoning them.

****ing morons. Petition signed.

Boomhauer Mar 24th 2013 1:50 pm

Early 90s Abu Dhabi -- While I was walking through the Tourist Club neighbourhood I saw a stray cat by metal dumpsters, 3 young Arab kids (8-10 years of age) showed up in the area and upon seeing the cat started throwing stones at the cat . Cat took off running towards parked cars, the boys kept chasing it and throwing stones at it.

Several hours later I saw the same cat near the dumpsters but this time one of its eyes was for the most part hanging out of the eyesocket.

Blue Cat Mar 24th 2013 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10621063)
If that picture is real it is ****ing disgusting.

What is wrong with people? Especially adults involved as well?

Kids should know better, or at least be taught better. I loved seeing animals when I was playing in parks as a nipper, but I never thought about stoning them.

****ing morons. Petition signed.

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 10621101)
Early 90s Abu Dhabi -- One time I was walking through the Tourist Club , I saw a stray cat by metal dumpsters. 3 young Arab kids around 8-10 years upon seeing the cat started throwing stones at the cat who was running towards parked cars, the boys kept chasing it and throwing stones at it.

Several hours later I saw the same cat near the dumpsters but this time one of its eyes was for the most part hanging out of the eyesocket.

WTF is wrong with them! Jesus. I remember not that long back local lads shooting cats on the Springs.

shiva Mar 24th 2013 2:16 pm

As much as I'm all for beating these ****s to death with the animals corpse.

There is absolutely no hope of this making a difference until long after they stop doing shit like this to people who work for them let alone stray animals.

Medieval bastards

kittycat1 Mar 24th 2013 2:23 pm

I really can't understand this. It makes me so sad and ashamed to be human. Some people truly are sick and need a... well I won't say what they need as it isnt very ladylike! what utter utter ****s

Boomhauer Mar 24th 2013 2:43 pm

The plain cold truth is that too many people are psycopaths and sociopaths. Kids , you could excuse as not fully developed morals and realising the harm they are causing but f$%kin adults have no bloody excuse.

Equestra Mar 24th 2013 3:11 pm

Signed x

Alexa Mar 24th 2013 3:15 pm

Unfortunately this kind of behaviour towards animals in more common that not .
I have friends who are into animal rescue ( voluntarily,paying out of their own pocket for vets etc) , the stories they tell me make my toenails curl and worse. The cruelty and utter disregard towards animals is sickening for lack of a stronger term.
I have the utmost respect for those people, not only because they save and ship out of the country numerous animals, and they are not in jail for murder.....If I had to face what they do, I would have been executed by now.

BinCat Mar 24th 2013 3:37 pm

Signed.

Blue Cat Mar 24th 2013 3:40 pm

thanks for signing, it won't make any difference as it is all about educating these young people and it just won't happen, they are inbred that way.

Irishbeekeeper Mar 24th 2013 5:02 pm

signed, but kids do what parents do and they also do what parents fail to stop them from
bah, i am disgusted!

UKCityGent Mar 24th 2013 5:09 pm

iguana tastes a bit like (dry) chicken

redShark Mar 24th 2013 6:38 pm

This is really sickening, it is such a cruel treatment of poor animals. Animals are living beings that have senses and feelings. That is why in Islam meat consumption is not allowed unless the word God was recited during slaughter , hence the term Halal meat. The reason behind this gesture is to indicate that this killing is only done by the permission of God, and it is done out of necessity, not pleasure. It is Also forbidden in Islam to slaughter an animal in front of another animal, or to sharpen the knife in front of an animal before slaughtering it.

Cruelty to animals unfortunately happens in many third world countries due to lack of education and discipline. However, there are also idiots in other parts of the world who enjoy watching games involving animal torchering , like the games of Bull fights in Spain, for example. Some attempts by animal groups in Europe were made in the past to organize a similar petitions to stop these games but they were to no avail.