British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Angelina Jolie........... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/angelina-jolie-797000/)

The Dean May 14th 2013 1:04 pm

Angelina Jolie...........

......... has had her breasts removed.

She wasn't suffering from breast cancer - she has chosen to do this as a preventive measure.

Leaving aside the sheer devastation a woman must feel at the 'loss' of such an integral part of what makes her a woman, isn't the very idea of doing this as a precautionary step a terrible indictment of how the medical profession has utterly failed to defeat this dreadful disease? Millions have been raised and spent on cancer research over the years - for what?

I have this ominous feeling that, one day, a woman will take this decision..... only to find that the very next day, some scientist somewhere will announce that a cure has been found.........

You can argue about the percentages and probabilities (she probably wouldn't have contracted it - many do but the majority don't), but I just feel so sorry for her.......... what a decision to feel you have to make.

nonthaburi May 14th 2013 1:15 pm

Re: Angelina Jolie...........

said she had an 87% chance of getting it . Wonder how it will effect her career . Everyone will be looking to see what kind of reconstruction job she had done .

OriginalSunshine May 14th 2013 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10707488)

She wasn't suffering from breast cancer - she has chosen to do this as a preventive measure.

Leaving aside the sheer devastation a woman must feel at the 'loss' of such an integral part of what makes her a woman, isn't the very idea of doing this as a precautionary step a terrible indictment of how the medical profession has utterly failed to defeat this dreadful disease? Millions have been raised and spent on cancer research over the years - for what?

I have this ominous feeling that, one day, a woman will take this decision..... only to find that the very next day, some scientist somewhere will announce that a cure has been found.........

You can argue about the percentages and probabilities (she probably wouldn't have contracted it - many do but the majority don't), but I just feel so sorry for her.......... what a decision to feel you have to make.

yup - it's something those of us with the dodgy genes seriously need to think about. :( I got tested when my third maternal aunt got breast cancer. It's something I need to think about. But... also... insurance companies don't cover preventative surgery, and it's incredibly expensive when it's not the NHS.

nonthaburi May 14th 2013 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine (Post 10707536)
yup - it's something those of us with the dodgy genes seriously need to think about. :( I got tested when my third maternal aunt got breast cancer. It's something I need to think about. But... also... insurance companies don't cover preventative surgery, and it's incredibly expensive when it's not the NHS.

reckon she's good for it .

OriginalSunshine May 14th 2013 3:52 pm

well, yes, thanks.

Beakersful May 14th 2013 4:18 pm

I'd volunteer to donate my nipples to the rebuild. but then I'd be worried everyone would be, er, looking at/for them online.

OriginalSunshine May 14th 2013 4:19 pm

if you read the article, she kept her own.

kittycat1 May 14th 2013 4:37 pm

I believe she has also had a hysterectomy.

I know several women my age and under who have undergone both procedures as far as I can tell once you've had the hysterectomy having the mastectomy almost feels right extremely tough for any woman any age to go through. She's the sort of woman I wouldn't be surprised at if she didn't have reconstructive surgery I wouldn't be surprised if she pulls back from her acting career and focuses on her charity work.

britexpat76 May 14th 2013 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 10707811)
I wouldn't be surprised if she pulls back from her acting career and focuses on her charity work.

Absolutely right. I fear we have seen the last of Angelina's chebs.

Beakersful May 14th 2013 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine (Post 10707772)
if you read the article, she kept her own.

I have to admit I only had a quick scan as celeb type stories give me brain freeze.

Spugsy May 14th 2013 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10707488)

The girl from married with children, Christina Applegate has this done some years ago - she had breast cancer and it could spread so she had them both removed and then a boob job. As far as I know it looks no different from any other girl with a boob job.

Must be damn scary though.

LaLaLayla May 15th 2013 2:48 am

Spugsy is right, it should look no different, unless you have your nipples removed. Retaining them means that you still carry some risk of getting breast cancer, but it is much lowered.

My mum and my aunt both had breast cancer, and I would have preventative surgery in a heartbeat, if I could afford it.

OriginalSunshine May 15th 2013 12:32 pm

about US$ 30,000 I read LaLaLayla (1 dead g/mother, 1 dead aunt, 2 aunt 2x BC, double mastectomies, all on mother's side).

LaLaLayla May 15th 2013 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine (Post 10708955)
about US$ 30,000 I read LaLaLayla (1 dead g/mother, 1 dead aunt, 2 aunt 2x BC, double mastectomies, all on mother's side).

Does that include the reconstruction? Are you thinking about having it done, OS?

OriginalSunshine May 15th 2013 2:56 pm

Yes. And yes. But I took the test 10 years ago when there were many false positives, so I'm trying to find somewhere to do the test again. And surgery has moved on considerably in the last 10 years.