Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Andy Murray @ The Olympics

Andy Murray @ The Olympics

Old Aug 5th 2012, 7:44 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Andy Murray @ The Olympics

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Just back on tennis for a sec - I, and many players and commentators, would disagree that he's not good enough to win a slam. Look at Nole's transformation. It takes confidence and mental strength to make the transition, he has the ability and today could and I hope should make that difference.

McEnroe describes the Olympics as the fifth slam now, this time is the first time Andy beat Nole and Fed in the same event which has always been the argument as to why he's not won a slam yet.

Watch out for him at the US Open in a few weeks - it's his favourite and strongest event and I hope and think this time may be a very strong showing.
There was also no Nadal.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 7:49 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
There was also no Nadal.
True, however Murray has beaten all three of them, several times. The big thing is to beat two of them back to back in the same event. He hadn't done that until the this event.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 7:52 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

True, however Murray has beaten all three of them, several times. The big thing is to beat two of them back to back in the same event. He hadn't done that until the this event.
Thats true, though Nadal has beaten Murray 13/18 times. More than any other professional.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 8:02 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

So you sing it when it suits then?? Do you love the monarchy too?

How about the English government?
Er..England does not have one at the moment ...it is governed by direct rule by the British Government.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 8:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Did I think it would get a reaction - probably. That wasn't why I posted it though - as explained several times I follow his career and support him and I'm a bit sick of the crap that seems get thrown at him. I still don't see how you can defend saying ABM all year then getting all happy when it suits you. As you say why not pick another athlete? They don't seem to get the same crap and that's why I posted the thread.

Why point out your stance today? 'cos you seem to be drinking the Daily Mail Kool Aid today - entrenched views on ABM & thinking anyone mentioning movies or music you've not heard of are elitist and worthy of derision rather than thinking maybe they are worth checking out...

I guess we'll never see eye to eye on some things. Maybe we should go for a beer and argue over it. I hear you're a nice guy and also much bigger than me so you'll probably knock me out if I mention Murray.... I'll ask Millhouse to protect me, he's a big guy right?
Not so much when it suits, it is more about GB medal haul. I'd love our little group of nations to finish amongst / above big sporting nations. Every medal helps that.

I said ABM once. Around the Wimbledon period. It's the height of delusion in the British tennis calendar. I just don't think he is good enough. Period. I think he is overrated and isn't able to consistently beat Djok/Nadal/Fed etc. Two of those face each other in a slam and you don't know who will win (taking surfaces out of it). Yes, Murray has a reasonable record against Federer but not when it matters. Yes, he has won tour titles and made lots of tour money, but until he is a grand slam winner, he can't be considered a great / champion. Yeah he is dull as dishwater but that is his problem, not mine or yours.

Having an opinion on something doesn't mean I read the Mail or The Sun or The Times or The Telegraph etc. (I generally look through them all online, well, not the Times, but sometimes the Observer and occasionally the Daily Echo just to see which block of flats has had a fire in Southampton).

I've met your wife, she seemed nice when I bought some spicy jelly off her, so you can't be a complete bellend. It's obviously one of those things that we could debate and argue and bicker over until we die. Next meet up, we can get all Olympian and do some Greco-Roman Wrestling?

Millhouse is not to be touched. Someone once said something about the size of the dog / size of the fight or something.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 8:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Watch out for him at the US Open in a few weeks - it's his favourite and strongest event and I hope and think this time may be a very strong showing.
I will. I'll stick my neck out and say he won't win. But I'll certainly look out for it.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 8:09 pm
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by MacScot
Er..England does not have one at the moment ...it is governed by direct rule by the British Government.
Sorry, my bad. British Government in London........
Old Aug 6th 2012, 4:20 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep
Yawn - someone has a different opinion so resort to cheap insults and stereotypes, how very 'British' of you. I'm Scottish, and proud of it. I don't know what it is to be British, what is British culture or heritage or 'Britishiness'??
Ok, firstly apologies for the cheap shot. Given your user name, i made an assumption that you are a sheep shagger from Aberdeen..correct?

Given your statement above, i assume then you have boycotted watching the Olympics where all the athletes are representing GB. Andy Murray, Chris Hoy etc are competing for GB, not Scotland.

Ill go as far to make an assumption that if you happened to be at a level within a chosen sport to be selected to represent GB at the Olympics, you would refuse as you "don't know what it is to be British, what is British culture or heritage or 'Britishiness"

Rest assured, i am as Scottish as you my friend, i just dont buy into this 'we are not British' argument. We are and always will be.

When i get asked where im from i always reply Scotland, Great Britain.

Anyway, its a debate that goes on and on and will continue to..

PS..regarding Murray singing GSTQ, I have counted so many English athlete's representing GB not singing it....does that make them anti- british....No of course it doesnt. Maybe they just cant sing.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 4:26 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

So you sing it when it suits then?? Do you love the monarchy too?

How about the English government?
re-read my post. I sing it when it is sung in the context of GB. It pisses me of that England have GSTQ as their national anthem. Should be something by Chaz and Dave.

Of course i love the Monarchy. I have met many of them in my past life and served on ships with one of them.

I believe macscot has corrected your mistake about the government..
Old Aug 6th 2012, 5:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Leave me out of this, or I'll be forced to do my trademark headbutt to the nuts.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
re-read my post. I sing it when it is sung in the context of GB. It pisses me of that England have GSTQ as their national anthem. Should be something by Chaz and Dave.

Of course i love the Monarchy. I have met many of them in my past life and served on ships with one of them.

I believe macscot has corrected your mistake about the government..
England DOESN'T have GSTQ as its National Anthem - the whole UK does. It's just that other regions (Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland) make up their own to establish some sort of 'identity'. Flower of Scotland?? Wasn't that a folk song by The Corries or someone??
Old Aug 6th 2012, 11:12 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
England DOESN'T have GSTQ as its National Anthem - the whole UK does. It's just that other regions (Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland) make up their own to establish some sort of 'identity'. Flower of Scotland?? Wasn't that a folk song by The Corries or someone??
England uses Land of Hope and Glory at the 6 nations matches. At the last Commonwealth games in 2010 they used Jerusalem. Flower of Scotland was written by one of the Corries, and only in 1967, which makes it the youngest of the anthems.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 11:19 am
banned

Originally Posted by mikelincs
England uses Land of Hope and Glory at the 6 nations matches. At the last Commonwealth games in 2010 they used Jerusalem. Flower of Scotland was written by one of the Corries, and only in 1967, which makes it the youngest of the anthems.
I could be wrong but I seem to remember 'scotland the brave' being played at games instead of flower of Scotland?
Old Aug 6th 2012, 11:25 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
I could be wrong but I seem to remember 'scotland the brave' being played at games instead of flower of Scotland?
Yes 'Scotland the Brave' has been used as well as 'Flower of Scotland' and others, this link tells all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flower_of_Scotland
Old Aug 6th 2012, 12:59 pm
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by The Dean
True, though as commander rightly said the England football team use it, which is most probably why the other nations making up the UK dislike it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.