Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Andy Murray @ The Olympics

Andy Murray @ The Olympics

Old Aug 5th 2012, 4:01 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Andy Murray @ The Olympics

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
I hope this finally gives him the belief to go on and win a grand slam title. He has the game - has had for about 4 years now, he just lacks that psychological edge to win the big matches. Only Roger in his pomp has a bigger range of shots to play. But he beat Djoko and Roger, both in straight sets, to win this. Especially in the semi-final he showed excellent mental strength to just grab and hold the opportunities when they came. Today he never let Roger in the match once he got the edge. That kind of ruthlessness has been missing before where he always seemed just a couple of shots away from going to pieces (viz. Aus semi-final this year and final last year against Djoko). And he kept it up right to the end: after losing the first point when serving for the match (always so hard to do) he nailed three aces to finish it. A dominant performance from a true maestro.

On top of all that, his response to the idiotic question at Wimbledon about how it must have felt for his family watching him is my sports quote of the year: "I'm not that bothered. It was much harder for me."

A real hero in one of the world's most popular sports - only in Britain would there be any doubters....
+1 x 1,000 Great post.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 4:07 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Hoorah for Murray > runs round wimbledon with Union Jack< Absolutely fantastic woohoooooooo!
And he sung the National Anthem, not many Scotsmen would do that. As I put on my facebook, I hated the morose twat before today but it was about team GB so I cheered him on.

I think he has won an army of new fans today, me included and played exceptionally well. Well done Andy.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 4:16 pm

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scamp
Federer didn't look that interested and 31 errors. That's a lot for someone who actually is one of the top 10 ever.
Federer has said publicly that this was the title he coveted the most as the only missing piece of a "career golden slam" which no man has ever achieved (career grand slam plus Olympic singles gold: Steffi Graf and Serena are the only ones to have done it).

Roger always looks casual like he did today and always makes lots of unforced errors, especially under pressure. The difference today was that once Murray grabbed the edge he just did not let Roger back in to the match to cover his errors with winners as he usually does. That third game in the second set when Roger had 6 break points was pivotal. Andy attacked on all the break points and saved them. By contrast on deuce and game points he showed no aggression and thus kept conceding more break points. When he finally realised that only the aggression was paying off then he kept producing that and that's how he blew Roger away in the end - because he sustained the aggression, right up to that last game. A complete contrast to Wimbledon where he had the beating of Roger but let all the demons back in after the second set.

I didnt realise it was a five setter in the final and was aghast when I realised they would have to play a third set because I really feared that Andy would let it go again. Even though Roger upped his agggression as he had to in the third set, Andy easily contained him. I think this is a real breakthrough.

Last edited by Miss Anne Thrope; Aug 5th 2012 at 5:22 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 4:20 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Happy to answer in full later - I'm going to watch more sport - but this is one example, but not the one I was referencing:-

Top 100 Men's Tennis Career Prize Money Leaders
Source: www.atpworldtour.com
Date: July 9, 2012

Rnk Player Total Earnings
1. Federer, Roger $72,918,077
2. Nadal, Rafael $50,061,827
3. Sampras, Pete $43,280,489
4. Djokovic, Novak $38,120,025
5. Agassi, Andre $31,152,975
6. Becker, Boris $25,080,956
7. Kafelnikov, Yevgeny $23,883,797
8. Murray, Andy $21,473,551
9. Lendl, Ivan $21,262,417
10. Edberg, Stefan $20,630,941
That's my point exactly. How do you create a top 10 list that everyone can agree on? Should it be based on earnings (like the one above), number of grand slams, number of grand slams adjusted for number of years played, number of singles matched won, size of feet, number of rackets broken....

For example Borg who retired at 25, but won 11 grand slams in 7 years is missing. McEnroe is missing. Jimmy Connors is missing.

Murray is good enough to win a grand slam, and like someone said has been for a while. He could have won (should have won?) Wimbledon this year if he had only kept his head straight.

This whole 'Murray is Scottish and therefore I won't support him' is just sad. So what if he said some stupid things as a teenager? Who didn't? As a foreigner who's lived in UK for many years I never understood the fear of supporting Wales, Scotland, NI even if you're English (or vice versa). If you ask me this is one of the reasons why Great Britain is no longer so great..

Last edited by norsk; Aug 5th 2012 at 4:23 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 5:37 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
And he sung the National Anthem, not many Scotsmen would do that. .
What an absolute load of pish.

A minority of highland hamish's don't sing it...the vast vast majority do.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 6:14 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander

You are slightly different as you served the Queen................I have countless Scottish friends and they wouldn't sing it.

The Welsh also made a fuss about it at the Football so its not just the Scottish.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't sing it, as far as I'm concerned it's not my national anthem.

Fantastic display by Murray today in the singles, got himself on front early and never let Federer build any momentum. Shame he wasn't able to make it two in the mixed doubles, Robson looked a little overawed by the occasion, but will hopefully spur her onto greater things on the future.

Clan Scotland certainly more than doing their fair share contributing to the Team GB medal tally.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 6:39 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep
I wouldn't sing it, as far as I'm concerned it's not my national anthem.

Fantastic display by Murray today in the singles, got himself on front early and never let Federer build any momentum. Shame he wasn't able to make it two in the mixed doubles, Robson looked a little overawed by the occasion, but will hopefully spur her onto greater things on the future.

Clan Scotland certainly more than doing their fair share contributing to the Team GB medal tally.
Hello Hamish.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 6:47 pm
banned

Originally Posted by britexpat76
You are slightly different as you served the Queen................I have countless Scottish friends and they wouldn't sing it.

The Welsh also made a fuss about it at the Football so its not just the Scottish.
It is the National anthem of GB of which Scotland is a part. Its got nothing to do with my serving in the forces.

What does piss me off though is that it also gets used as the National Anthem of England..

Ill admit right now to not singing it when its played at an England v Scotland football or rugby game..that's a completely diffent context..

The sheepshaggers and inbred's from the 6-toe countys up north are kinda like annoying teenagers..they have an opinion and like to spout it...but the adults see sense and simply ignore it.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 6:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Autonomy
did you get up this morning and think - today I'm going to be a force ten hurricaneforcecunt on BE today?
Why?

Because I am about the only person to take your "**** you ABM" people and actually pick you up on it?

RE: money lists, no way to measure success across generations and big stages. Lee Westwood would be right up there on golf's top lists. Luke Donald was world number 1, neither winning the majors.

Did you create a thread solely about Andy Murray to provoke reaction? If not, why pick Murray over Ennis or Mo Farah or Ben Ainslie or Wiggins?

You wanted a response, you got it, don't moan. It's what you wanted the second you created the thread
Old Aug 5th 2012, 7:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by norsk
That's my point exactly. How do you create a top 10 list that everyone can agree on? Should it be based on earnings (like the one above), number of grand slams, number of grand slams adjusted for number of years played, number of singles matched won, size of feet, number of rackets broken....

For example Borg who retired at 25, but won 11 grand slams in 7 years is missing. McEnroe is missing. Jimmy Connors is missing.

Murray is good enough to win a grand slam, and like someone said has been for a while. He could have won (should have won?) Wimbledon this year if he had only kept his head straight.

This whole 'Murray is Scottish and therefore I won't support him' is just sad. So what if he said some stupid things as a teenager? Who didn't? As a foreigner who's lived in UK for many years I never understood the fear of supporting Wales, Scotland, NI even if you're English (or vice versa). If you ask me this is one of the reasons why Great Britain is no longer so great..
Of course money lists aren't going to include anyone beyond the last 10 years. Money wasn't in it for decades.

Murray is not good enough today to win a grand slam. It's why he hasn't. It's got zero to do with where he is from (I'm half Scottish). He just isn't good enough to do it. He's very bloody close and a lot better at tennis than I but it's a deluded dream to expect him to be winning grand slams. He might win Wimbledon, if so, I don't expect him to be winning any other slams.

Federer today did not have a good day. Murray took full advantage.

The only thing to come from it all is a gold for GB and that is all that matters really. Olympics tennis is very different to that on the money tours.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

The sheepshaggers and inbred's from the 6-toe countys up north are kinda like annoying teenagers..they have an opinion and like to spout it...but the adults see sense and simply ignore it.
Yawn - someone has a different opinion so resort to cheap insults and stereotypes, how very 'British' of you. I'm Scottish, and proud of it. I don't know what it is to be British, what is British culture or heritage or 'Britishiness'??
Old Aug 5th 2012, 7:27 pm