An analysis and classification Millhouse

An analysis and classification Millhouse

Old Apr 24th 2012, 9:05 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default An analysis and classification Millhouse

Since you did ask for it...

Based on what you’ve said and surmised based on your sayings:

You are a self-made person from what would have once been described as the respectable working classes. You won a place at Cambridge so there’s some innate talent and capabilities, which meant that you were smarter than 99% of your childhood peers so from an early age you perceived a difference between you and the people you grew up with and while you may not have acted upon it you probably privately looked down on many of them.

However, as a self-made boy you also felt that you didn’t fit in at Cambridge and led a life largely separate from the university and rarely participated in its social institutions. I imagine you performed well on your examinations and received a good degree but there’s no one at Cambridge who remembers you. Your isolation was due to indifference towards the perceived archaic upper class traditions and institutions at Cambridge: as a self-made boy you felt you achieved your place through your own hard work without the assistance of either left wing social policies or family connections or schools and distrusted anything that seemed to give unmerited breaks to other people or presented an image of exclusivity. At the same time you (and still do) mistrusted those committed to a serious pursuit of academic knowledge for being somewhat removed from the realities of life.

You are a natural conservative. This is not a reference to support of a certain political party but you achieved what you have through hard work and endeavours and without assistance from others, and you are frugal and practical with your spending so you are suspicious of the state and find social programmes irrelevant and resent the tax burden needed to support these programmes. You find both Westminster and the whole EU situation logic-defying and a mystifying mess which makes no sense. Overall, you find that the state holds you back and interferes with your life, and it does.

Your general success means that you look at your childhood friends and see that they failed to achieve much in life, and blame it not on economic changes or a certain government but on the decline of working class ethics, so you have little sympathy or support for working class solidarity and actually will blame it for holding back many people in. If you could succeed, why couldn’t they?

As a consequence, you reject most of the culture, tastes and habits of the modern British working classes so you can’t quite fall into the category of ‘new money’, however at the same time you refuse to espouse the traditional institutions of the middle and upper middle classes despite that your current income would allow you to do so. You find them largely irrelevant and your limited exposure to these institutions both at university and afterwards didn’t endear you to them either. Consequently you are rootless. You have no natural community and close connections other than your immediate family.

This is why expat life suits you so well. Modern day expatdom is a great levelling of the playing field as backgrounds and origins are irrelevant and success is largely based on your own initiatives and hard work. The anonymity and sameness of expat life where most people have similar lifestyles due to the circumstances also suits you as it masks the lack of belonging to a community or having proper origins elsewhere. You’re not bothered by either but you appreciate not being reminded about it. You’d be content to remain a well-paid corporate expat, moving from one posting to another or from one sterile commuter suburb to another, although at the end of the day you’d be happiest in either Australia or the United States.

You’re likely a good father and husband if partly because you can’t be arsed to cheat on your wife as it’s not worth the effort or trouble. Your perception that your family is pretty much all you have in life since you have no other community means they’re very important to you and you’re happy to provide well for them. You will struggle in raising your son – you are able to provide a more comfortable lifestyle than you had in your childhood, but this will be balanced by a fear of spoiling him. You’re keen to ensure that he understands the principles of hard work and self-motivation.

Classification: Typical British expat on Arabian Ranches.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 9:15 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An analysis and classification Millhouse

That's not bad for a gardener.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

That summary could describe me also, except that I went to a red brick university rather than Cambridge.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 11:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by mentalist
That summary could describe me also, except that I went to a red brick university rather than Cambridge.
Me too.

Except I didn't go to university, and I don't have a wife or a kid, or live on the Ranches,
Old Apr 24th 2012, 11:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Cool. I'm flattered. Not a million miles from the truth... they remember me though, that I can assure you That said, I'm not quite as working class as you think... think, middle class scum but with no connections to the family. In fact, my friends are much more likely to be working class.

Last edited by Millhouse; Apr 24th 2012 at 11:46 am.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
That said, I'm not quite as working class as you think... think, middle class scum but with no connections to the family. In fact, my friends are much more likely to be working class.
Will out of The Inbetweeners?
Old Apr 24th 2012, 3:11 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Since you did ask for it...

Based on what you’ve said and surmised based on your sayings:

You are a self-made person from what would have once been described as the respectable working classes. You won a place at Cambridge so there’s some innate talent and capabilities, which meant that you were smarter than 99% of your childhood peers so from an early age you perceived a difference between you and the people you grew up with and while you may not have acted upon it you probably privately looked down on many of them.

However, as a self-made boy you also felt that you didn’t fit in at Cambridge and led a life largely separate from the university and rarely participated in its social institutions. I imagine you performed well on your examinations and received a good degree but there’s no one at Cambridge who remembers you. Your isolation was due to indifference towards the perceived archaic upper class traditions and institutions at Cambridge: as a self-made boy you felt you achieved your place through your own hard work without the assistance of either left wing social policies or family connections or schools and distrusted anything that seemed to give unmerited breaks to other people or presented an image of exclusivity. At the same time you (and still do) mistrusted those committed to a serious pursuit of academic knowledge for being somewhat removed from the realities of life.

You are a natural conservative. This is not a reference to support of a certain political party but you achieved what you have through hard work and endeavours and without assistance from others, and you are frugal and practical with your spending so you are suspicious of the state and find social programmes irrelevant and resent the tax burden needed to support these programmes. You find both Westminster and the whole EU situation logic-defying and a mystifying mess which makes no sense. Overall, you find that the state holds you back and interferes with your life, and it does.

Your general success means that you look at your childhood friends and see that they failed to achieve much in life, and blame it not on economic changes or a certain government but on the decline of working class ethics, so you have little sympathy or support for working class solidarity and actually will blame it for holding back many people in. If you could succeed, why couldn’t they?

As a consequence, you reject most of the culture, tastes and habits of the modern British working classes so you can’t quite fall into the category of ‘new money’, however at the same time you refuse to espouse the traditional institutions of the middle and upper middle classes despite that your current income would allow you to do so. You find them largely irrelevant and your limited exposure to these institutions both at university and afterwards didn’t endear you to them either. Consequently you are rootless. You have no natural community and close connections other than your immediate family.

This is why expat life suits you so well. Modern day expatdom is a great levelling of the playing field as backgrounds and origins are irrelevant and success is largely based on your own initiatives and hard work. The anonymity and sameness of expat life where most people have similar lifestyles due to the circumstances also suits you as it masks the lack of belonging to a community or having proper origins elsewhere. You’re not bothered by either but you appreciate not being reminded about it. You’d be content to remain a well-paid corporate expat, moving from one posting to another or from one sterile commuter suburb to another, although at the end of the day you’d be happiest in either Australia or the United States.

You’re likely a good father and husband if partly because you can’t be arsed to cheat on your wife as it’s not worth the effort or trouble. Your perception that your family is pretty much all you have in life since you have no other community means they’re very important to you and you’re happy to provide well for them. You will struggle in raising your son – you are able to provide a more comfortable lifestyle than you had in your childhood, but this will be balanced by a fear of spoiling him. You’re keen to ensure that he understands the principles of hard work and self-motivation.

Classification: Typical British expat on Arabian Ranches.
730 words on your thoughts on Millhouse. You think about BE posters far too much!
Old Apr 24th 2012, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

Millhouse - be afraid. Be very afraid.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

I assumed this was a wind up and you pulled it from some generic spiel that has been shown to apply loosely to everyone but people read and think is "so me." I seem to remember Derren Brown pulling something similar to show how cold reading is a load of bollocks.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 10:58 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if several of the wrong bits reflect more on Ethos's perceptions of Cambridge than of Millhouse's personality...

Pip pip.