British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   The America's Cup (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/americas-cup-456179/)

Jeeper Jun 6th 2007 8:48 am

The America's Cup

I know not too many brits are too interested in it but does anyone know where I can watch it late this afternoon?

Oh - and on the subject....

Why is it that NZ (who is sponsored by Emirates) and is called Emirates Team New Zealand gets reported in 7days after a win with such headlines as:

Emirates Wins race 3
or
Emirates dominates race 1
etc

and the New Zealand Papers write

Team New Zealand wins race 3
or
Team New Zealand dominates race 1

Who won last year football world cup? I'm pretty sure it wasn't mastercard?!?!

TA5 Jun 6th 2007 11:45 am

Re: The America's Cup

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 4879058)
I know not too many brits are too interested in it but does anyone know where I can watch it late this afternoon?

Oh - and on the subject....

Why is it that NZ (who is sponsored by Emirates) and is called Emirates Team New Zealand gets reported in 7days after a win with such headlines as:

Emirates Wins race 3
or
Emirates dominates race 1
etc

and the New Zealand Papers write

Team New Zealand wins race 3
or
Team New Zealand dominates race 1

Who won last year football world cup? I'm pretty sure it wasn't mastercard?!?!

Separate heats...the americas cup hasn't started yet, it is still the LV cup

Jeeper Jun 6th 2007 11:50 am

Originally Posted by TA5 (Post 4879718)
Separate heats...the americas cup hasn't started yet, it is still the LV cup

Splitting hairs aren't we?:)
It's still known as americas cup coverage although agreed technically the americas cup comp hasn't started.

or is it that you're upset that america for the first time didn't get the chance to compete in the competition bearing their own name.

TA5 Jun 6th 2007 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 4879732)
Splitting hairs aren't we?:)
It's still known as americas cup coverage although agreed technically the americas cup comp hasn't started.

or is it that you're upset that america for the first time didn't get the chance to compete in the competition bearing their own name.

No I really couldn't care less who was in the final. I just like the racing. And if I did care, i'd be happy enough to know that england got close to winning it was 1871. And I wasn't splitting hairs. The LV cup involves more than 2 boats. The america's cup is the 'championship' between the defender and the winner of the LV cup. I was just explaining why there are multiple headlines in a race that most people believe is one on one (the AC series).

Jeeper Jun 7th 2007 4:39 am

Originally Posted by TA5 (Post 4880603)
No I really couldn't care less who was in the final. I just like the racing. And if I did care, i'd be happy enough to know that england got close to winning it was 1871. And I wasn't splitting hairs. The LV cup involves more than 2 boats. The america's cup is the 'championship' between the defender and the winner of the LV cup. I was just explaining why there are multiple headlines in a race that most people believe is one on one (the AC series).

The mutiple headlines I was refering to was how the UAE portays a NZ win as an 'emirates' win.
As a kiwi it pis.ses me right off.:curse:

hence my comment about mastercard? winning the 'soccer' world cup.

rugbymatt Jun 7th 2007 7:08 am

Emirates sponsor the team, not much point sponsoring if your name doesn't get mentioned does it?

Jeeper Jun 7th 2007 7:22 am

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 4883322)
Emirates sponsor the team, not much point sponsoring if your name doesn't get mentioned does it?

Agreed....but they don't mention the team name when they say who won.

rugbymatt Jun 7th 2007 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 4883354)
Agreed....but they don't mention the team name when they say who won.

Well every time RKJ was featured on TV during his round the world "trip" it was always the Saga boat, EMC was always the Ecover boat, its just the way it is.

Jeeper Jun 7th 2007 7:38 am

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 4883369)
Well every time RKJ was featured on TV during his round the world "trip" it was always the Saga boat, EMC was always the Ecover boat, its just the way it is.

Who?

TA5 Jun 7th 2007 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 4883411)
Who?

Oracle, Prado, etc.

It has nothing to do with the emirates. It has to do with the sponsor, emirates airlines (as noted above). I see what you mean about it being different, but I doubt the kiwis care as much about the sponsorship as the UAE gov (you know, the airline, the newspaper, etc.).

Jeeper Jun 7th 2007 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by TA5 (Post 4884354)
Oracle, Prado, etc.

It has nothing to do with the emirates. It has to do with the sponsor, emirates airlines (as noted above). I see what you mean about it being different, but I doubt the kiwis care as much about the sponsorship as the UAE gov (you know, the airline, the newspaper, etc.).

I'm sure the kiwi's back home don't care - but that's because back home it's "Emirates Team NZ" in the press.
I'm sure there'd be an outcry if the local papers said "Emirates wins race five"

or maybe there wouldn't be and it's just me.

In any case I notice today that 7days is calling it "Emirates Team New Zealand" so Jeeper is back to his happy self and all is well with the world once again.:thumbup: