British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Americanisms (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/americanisms-725603/)

Paracletus Jul 21st 2011 1:58 am

Re: Americanisms

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 9507795)
My American hubby almost fell over laughing when he heard Gordom Ramsey say TACO!

Brits hate the word awesome, and Americans hate the word brilliant!

I'm ****ed, I'm bilingual in English. I say I have to go to the store. :ohmy:

kittycat1 Jul 21st 2011 4:38 am

how ya'll doin...... shudder

kittycat1 Jul 21st 2011 4:44 am

'your accent is so quaint'- answered with 'fu c k off'

'are you scottish'- really?- I mean REALLY? no love Im not scottish, are you stupid?

'Are you australian'- seriously mate, you need to get a passport and go see the world!

'You live in London- my aunt lives there do you know her'- 7 million people and I manage to avoid all the americans love so i doubt it!

'Do you know Prince William'- goes to get a shotgun....

Bahtatboy Jul 21st 2011 6:40 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 9507676)
Their date format pisses me off. Period. :eek:

You mean full stop, don't you?

Meow Jul 21st 2011 7:26 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9508527)
'your accent is so quaint'- answered with 'fu c k off'

'are you scottish'- really?- I mean REALLY? no love Im not scottish, are you stupid?

'Are you australian'- seriously mate, you need to get a passport and go see the world!

'You live in London- my aunt lives there do you know her'- 7 million people and I manage to avoid all the americans love so i doubt it!

'Do you know Prince William'- goes to get a shotgun....

I was told by a girl with a pronounced Brooklyn accent that my accent was adorable and I sounded just like The Beatles :ohmy: I was so surprised that I forgot to be insulted.

For those who haven't spoken to me I'm rather Home Counties RP, far from a Scouser.

Millhouse Jul 21st 2011 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9508644)
You mean full stop, don't you?

The ekk smiley was lost on you...

Bahtatboy Jul 21st 2011 7:54 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 9508717)
The ekk smiley was lost on you...

I've usually lost all sense of subtelty and irony by Thursday.

jackthehat Jul 21st 2011 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 9507676)
Their date format pisses me off. Period. :eek:

I have now got into the habit (or should that be 'Gotten the Habit') of actually spelling Date Formats! - Thursday 21 July 2011

Apparently some Americans do not attend regular meetings unless they receive an MS Outlook 'Meeting Invite!' - Shouldn't that be 'Meeting Invitation?' - It just goes to prove that they have not read the Minutes of the Previous Meeting, which informs them of the Date, Time, and Venue of the next meeting.

Don't get me going on having to reformat so many documents on 'Alien Page Formats!' What is wrong with A4 and A3!

OleJanx Jul 21st 2011 1:39 pm

In memory of Foolscap and Quarto: Gone, but not forgotten...

jackthehat Jul 21st 2011 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 9509356)
In memory of Foolscap and Quarto: Gone, but not forgotten...

Not to mention a 'Double Elephant' Drawing Board!

Von Hossel Jul 21st 2011 1:49 pm

I'd bet if you looked at every American message board on the internet that you'd not find even one thread complaining about how the british communicate with eachother. Take from that what you will, but I believe it's because they just couldn't possibly care less about you.

Meow Jul 21st 2011 2:11 pm

http://i51.tinypic.com/20gb8yg.jpg

Von Hossel Jul 21st 2011 2:34 pm

There is a very narrow band of acceptable behaivior allowed around here isn't there..?

Ok, then..I'll join the American Bashing..How about the obnoxious "throw him/her under the bus" ?

Utterly Ghastlay!

Charismatic Jul 21st 2011 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Von Hossel (Post 9509509)
There is a very narrow band of acceptable behaivior allowed around here isn't there..?

You make us sound like pitch fork owning, banjo playing, grass blade chewing yokels. "Don't like newcomers 'round here, we dun wan no t-rubble ya hear?" :p.