British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Americanisms (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/americanisms-725603/)

The Dean Jul 20th 2011 10:51 am

Re: Americanisms

Well, pardon me, but let's have a round of applause FOR some Americanisms.....

The most obvious: Honor, Color, Labor etc - absolutely correct, as per the original Latin, and without the "-our" French/Norman/Huguenot nonsense that we've inherited (bloody immigrants)......

And in terms of grammar: they quite rightly treat "Y" as the sixth vowel, and follow the rule that every syllable needs a vowel (hence sky, cry, etc). And don't try to catch me out with 'rhythm' - we all pronounce it wrongly (it's one syllable, not 'rith-um').

On the other hand.......... who plays "badmitton" apart from Americans? And in which other country is "buttocks" a singular noun?

And further to an earlier post: what the hell is "Updation"??? "The list is old; it needs immediate updation.........."

In fact what is "-ation" anyway?? Transportation?? The act of "transportating" someone...... ?? :confused:

Bahtatboy Jul 20th 2011 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Shehryar (Post 9506620)
:lol:
... though it is somewhat bizarre that the other 52 odd* million do not. :D

* [and some are very odd indeed]

Hooters hostesses, pole dancers, cheerleaders, Apple employees, the guys at HBO, the people who designed and built early and recent Mustangs, Pamela Anderson, Halle Berry, some other good actors, The Boss, Bob Seger, many other musicians, and a few blackjack players and mathematicians. They've got to add up to about 52 million.

Patsy Stoned Jul 20th 2011 11:10 am

Originally Posted by WakeUp (Post 9506478)
I like this, how about ax, as in "you betta ax somebody." Also a god UB definition....

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ax

Catherine Tate's Lauren Cooper always says Did I ax'd you? Am I bothered?

Patsy Stoned Jul 20th 2011 11:20 am

carrying on with the Catherine Tate thing....I just watched this....too funny

The Dean Jul 20th 2011 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9506684)
Hooters hostesses, pole dancers, cheerleaders, Apple employees, the guys at HBO, the people who designed and built early and recent Mustangs, Pamela Anderson, Halle Berry, some other good actors, The Boss, Bob Seger, many other musicians, and a few blackjack players and mathematicians. They've got to add up to about 52 million.

Bob Seger - oh yes............

Try the handle of the road
Feeling different feeling strange
This can never be arranged
As the light fades from the screen
From the famous final scene

Spugsy Jul 20th 2011 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9506419)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14201796

This a follow on from a piece that we talked about the other week, essentially 50 Americanisms that annoy us.

Some of the comments are quite entertaining. Examples below

The next time someone tells you something is the "least worst option", tell them that their most best option is learning grammar

What kind of word is "gotten"? It makes me shudder Me too. Hate it.

"I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less" has to be the worst. Opposite meaning of what they're trying to say grrrrr

I get annoyed by the apparent need to turn nouns into verbs. To golf in place of to play golf, for example. Are people really so short of time that they can't manage one extra word to speak or write nicely?

Two nations divided by a common language :)

I'm not even going to read this because I know it'll make me furious.

kittycat1 Jul 20th 2011 4:52 pm

Panties- gggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr- they are knickers!!!

Charismatic Jul 20th 2011 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9507400)
Panties- gggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr- they are knickers!!!

And given the nature of them if you are getting them twisted clearly something is amiss in the way you are dressing yourself.

I…like…think it’s…like so cool that like…we all think alike like…about things like this ;).

That said other bits of popular internet language are actually really useful if used properly. For example if someone tells you a tedious story where they take the right action in the end, while you wonder if you could use the steak butter while lunging across the table to cut out their still beating heart. Rather than risking going through detailed tortuous analysis of the afore mentioned malaise as would be polite social convention just say “Wise” while nodding in agreement, then take another drink from your glass to prolong the ensuing silence.

Millhouse Jul 20th 2011 7:36 pm

Their date format pisses me off. Period. :eek:

The Dean Jul 20th 2011 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 9507676)

........ yes, but whichever way you look at it, 11/9 was a terrible atrocity......

Lorna at Vicenza Jul 20th 2011 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 9507676)

Oh me too - cannot get used to that.
Hate awesome and my bad and hate the chefs, supposedly well travelled who say riz-oat-oh instead of risotto.
Hate the skinny latte mocha choca twist of almond whatever shit coffee combinations exist .... but I also hate espresso and cappuccino and any kind of coffee (not the correct pronunciation - just hate coffee)

I hate burglarise and conversate and mis-cheev-i-ous and I also hate "wow- that was so fun". No it wasn't. It was either funny - or a lot of fun.

And erbs !

The Dean Jul 20th 2011 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza (Post 9507719)
Oh me too - cannot get used to that.
Hate awesome and my bad and hate the chefs, supposedly well travelled who say riz-oat-oh instead of risotto.
Hate the skinny latte mocha choca twist of almond whatever shit coffee combinations exist .... but I also hate espresso and cappuccino and any kind of coffee (not the correct pronunciation - just hate coffee)

I hate burglarise and conversate and mis-cheev-i-ous and I also hate "wow- that was so fun". No it wasn't. It was either funny - or a lot of fun.

And erbs !

.....and where do all the 'long a' sounds come from??

In the real world, we eat pasta, not "parsta", and we drive a "Mazda" not a "Marzda".

And pronouncing -ile like -le!!!! (the soldiers were 'hostle').

Oh now look.............. I've joined in as well................

Lorna at Vicenza Jul 20th 2011 8:24 pm

and my latest pet hate - admittedly because I live where I do ..

it is not a bru-shetta. UK chefs are guilty of this too. Now half the bloody population thinks a bruschetta is a bru-shetta when it's correctly a brus-ketta.

Mallory Jul 20th 2011 8:30 pm

My American hubby almost fell over laughing when he heard Gordom Ramsey say TACO!

Brits hate the word awesome, and Americans hate the word brilliant!

Paracletus Jul 21st 2011 1:56 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9506672)
Well, pardon me, but let's have a round of applause FOR some Americanisms.....

The most obvious: Honor, Color, Labor etc - absolutely correct, as per the original Latin, and without the "-our" French/Norman/Huguenot nonsense that we've inherited (bloody immigrants)......

And in terms of grammar: they quite rightly treat "Y" as the sixth vowel, and follow the rule that every syllable needs a vowel (hence sky, cry, etc). And don't try to catch me out with 'rhythm' - we all pronounce it wrongly (it's one syllable, not 'rith-um').

On the other hand.......... who plays "badmitton" apart from Americans? And in which other country is "buttocks" a singular noun?

And further to an earlier post: what the hell is "Updation"??? "The list is old; it needs immediate updation.........."

In fact what is "-ation" anyway?? Transportation?? The act of "transportating" someone...... ?? :confused:

Thru and aluminum? (do thru phonetically and I guess I have a point)

And Lah bore?