Americanisms

Old Jul 20th 2011, 10:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Americanisms

Well, pardon me, but let's have a round of applause FOR some Americanisms.....

The most obvious: Honor, Color, Labor etc - absolutely correct, as per the original Latin, and without the "-our" French/Norman/Huguenot nonsense that we've inherited (bloody immigrants)......

And in terms of grammar: they quite rightly treat "Y" as the sixth vowel, and follow the rule that every syllable needs a vowel (hence sky, cry, etc). And don't try to catch me out with 'rhythm' - we all pronounce it wrongly (it's one syllable, not 'rith-um').

On the other hand.......... who plays "badmitton" apart from Americans? And in which other country is "buttocks" a singular noun?

And further to an earlier post: what the hell is "Updation"??? "The list is old; it needs immediate updation.........."

In fact what is "-ation" anyway?? Transportation?? The act of "transportating" someone...... ??
Old Jul 20th 2011, 10:57 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shehryar

... though it is somewhat bizarre that the other 52 odd* million do not.

* [and some are very odd indeed]
Hooters hostesses, pole dancers, cheerleaders, Apple employees, the guys at HBO, the people who designed and built early and recent Mustangs, Pamela Anderson, Halle Berry, some other good actors, The Boss, Bob Seger, many other musicians, and a few blackjack players and mathematicians. They've got to add up to about 52 million.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WakeUp
I like this, how about ax, as in "you betta ax somebody." Also a god UB definition....

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ax
Catherine Tate's Lauren Cooper always says Did I ax'd you? Am I bothered?

Old Jul 20th 2011, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

carrying on with the Catherine Tate thing....I just watched this....too funny

Old Jul 20th 2011, 1:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Hooters hostesses, pole dancers, cheerleaders, Apple employees, the guys at HBO, the people who designed and built early and recent Mustangs, Pamela Anderson, Halle Berry, some other good actors, The Boss, Bob Seger, many other musicians, and a few blackjack players and mathematicians. They've got to add up to about 52 million.
Bob Seger - oh yes............

Try the handle of the road
Feeling different feeling strange
This can never be arranged
As the light fades from the screen
From the famous final scene
Old Jul 20th 2011, 1:50 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14201796

This a follow on from a piece that we talked about the other week, essentially 50 Americanisms that annoy us.

Some of the comments are quite entertaining. Examples below

The next time someone tells you something is the "least worst option", tell them that their most best option is learning grammar

What kind of word is "gotten"? It makes me shudder Me too. Hate it.

"I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less" has to be the worst. Opposite meaning of what they're trying to say grrrrr

I get annoyed by the apparent need to turn nouns into verbs. To golf in place of to play golf, for example. Are people really so short of time that they can't manage one extra word to speak or write nicely?

Two nations divided by a common language
I'm not even going to read this because I know it'll make me furious.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 4:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Panties- gggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr- they are knickers!!!
Old Jul 20th 2011, 7:12 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Panties- gggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr- they are knickers!!!
And given the nature of them if you are getting them twisted clearly something is amiss in the way you are dressing yourself.

I…like…think it’s…like so cool that like…we all think alike like…about things like this .

That said other bits of popular internet language are actually really useful if used properly. For example if someone tells you a tedious story where they take the right action in the end, while you wonder if you could use the steak butter while lunging across the table to cut out their still beating heart. Rather than risking going through detailed tortuous analysis of the afore mentioned malaise as would be polite social convention just say “Wise” while nodding in agreement, then take another drink from your glass to prolong the ensuing silence.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 7:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Their date format pisses me off. Period.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 7:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Millhouse
........ yes, but whichever way you look at it, 11/9 was a terrible atrocity......
Old Jul 20th 2011, 7:56 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Oh me too - cannot get used to that.
Hate awesome and my bad and hate the chefs, supposedly well travelled who say riz-oat-oh instead of risotto.
Hate the skinny latte mocha choca twist of almond whatever shit coffee combinations exist .... but I also hate espresso and cappuccino and any kind of coffee (not the correct pronunciation - just hate coffee)

I hate burglarise and conversate and mis-cheev-i-ous and I also hate "wow- that was so fun". No it wasn't. It was either funny - or a lot of fun.

And erbs !
Old Jul 20th 2011, 8:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Oh me too - cannot get used to that.
Hate awesome and my bad and hate the chefs, supposedly well travelled who say riz-oat-oh instead of risotto.
Hate the skinny latte mocha choca twist of almond whatever shit coffee combinations exist .... but I also hate espresso and cappuccino and any kind of coffee (not the correct pronunciation - just hate coffee)

I hate burglarise and conversate and mis-cheev-i-ous and I also hate "wow- that was so fun". No it wasn't. It was either funny - or a lot of fun.

And erbs !
.....and where do all the 'long a' sounds come from??

In the real world, we eat pasta, not "parsta", and we drive a "Mazda" not a "Marzda".

And pronouncing -ile like -le!!!! (the soldiers were 'hostle').

Oh now look.............. I've joined in as well................
Old Jul 20th 2011, 8:24 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

and my latest pet hate - admittedly because I live where I do ..

it is not a bru-shetta. UK chefs are guilty of this too. Now half the bloody population thinks a bruschetta is a bru-shetta when it's correctly a brus-ketta.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 8:30 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

My American hubby almost fell over laughing when he heard Gordom Ramsey say TACO!

Brits hate the word awesome, and Americans hate the word brilliant!
Old Jul 21st 2011, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by The Dean
Well, pardon me, but let's have a round of applause FOR some Americanisms.....

The most obvious: Honor, Color, Labor etc - absolutely correct, as per the original Latin, and without the "-our" French/Norman/Huguenot nonsense that we've inherited (bloody immigrants)......

And in terms of grammar: they quite rightly treat "Y" as the sixth vowel, and follow the rule that every syllable needs a vowel (hence sky, cry, etc). And don't try to catch me out with 'rhythm' - we all pronounce it wrongly (it's one syllable, not 'rith-um').

On the other hand.......... who plays "badmitton" apart from Americans? And in which other country is "buttocks" a singular noun?

And further to an earlier post: what the hell is "Updation"??? "The list is old; it needs immediate updation.........."

In fact what is "-ation" anyway?? Transportation?? The act of "transportating" someone...... ??
Thru and aluminum? (do thru phonetically and I guess I have a point)

And Lah bore?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.