British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Amazon says no to Souk.com II (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/amazon-says-no-souk-com-ii-922236/)

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 18th 2019 6:57 am

Amazon says no to Souk.com II

Since acquiring Souq and ruining the interface by not making it easy to remove all Amazon.com products when searching....Amazon have realised that they might be better off going alone and ditching souq all together.

Apparently.

Millhouse Feb 18th 2019 8:05 am

Amazon says no to Souk.com II

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12638607)
Since acquiring Souq and ruining the interface by not making it easy to remove all Amazon.com products when searching....Amazon have realised that they might be better off going alone and ditching souq all together.

Apparently.

Yeh, the amazon global market (which was pointless) seems to no longer be pursued. I'm not sure if souq.com will die as a portal though - Amazon really were only interested in souq's logistics capability (which is fantastic) so let's see. They are opening a new fulfillment center soon.

Noon is the failure I predicted in my IC paper.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 18th 2019 10:38 am

Re: Amazon says no to Souq.com

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12638636)
Yeh, the amazon global market (which was pointless) seems to no longer be pursued. I'm not sure if souq.com will die as a portal though - Amazon really were only interested in souq's logistics capability (which is fantastic) so let's see. They are opening a new fulfillment center soon.

To be honest, the Amazon global market thing was fine, but you couldn't filter those products OUT which would have been handy.

Frankly, until Souq actually manage to manage some of their rogue sellers, it's flawed because it makes it appear untrustworthy. The set up for Souq distributed / managed products however is just amazing.

Millhouse Feb 18th 2019 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12638698)
To be honest, the Amazon global market thing was fine, but you couldn't filter those products OUT which would have been handy.

Frankly, until Souq actually manage to manage some of their rogue sellers, it's flawed because it makes it appear untrustworthy. The set up for Souq distributed / managed products however is just amazing.

yeh. I kind of agree. I only buy from sellers if they host the stock in a Souq warehouse.

Miss Ann Thrope Feb 18th 2019 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12638636)

I don't think you would get many points for amazing prescience on this but do you have any more interesting specific insights or information that you would care to share? Always more interesting to hear about the car crashes than the smooth rides...

Irishbeekeeper Feb 18th 2019 3:01 pm

I have a Premium Account with Souq and I can tell you that they are making it harder and harder for even the Premium Sellers to stay with them. Their commission structure has increased, their payments come in later now and starting 1st March, they will start charging Storage Fees per CBM to keep stuff in their Warehouse. Looks to me like the Amazon people just want to push everyone out eventually and sell themselves. There are many IT items which are already being sold for cheaper through their Global Portal than what is our cost here in Dubai. Maybe it would have been a better idea for Souq to sell to noon rather than Amazon.
This market is SO dead its not funny anymore, this is worse than 2008 I can assure you.

flood2 Feb 18th 2019 3:25 pm

i have used souq.com a few times over the years and has been getting worse.

I had to sign in with amazon account recently and they have closed the souq.com one.I went to use last week as i fancied an amazon echo dot. Couldn't find one on their website! bizarre !

Went to Noon.com and got 50AED off first order. Probably wont use souq.com again

Irishbeekeeper Feb 18th 2019 3:39 pm

yeah the Eco dot scenario was a total farce! When it came along initially last year, I sold about 20 or so on souq.com and one day they called me and told me that oh you cant sell it anymore because Amazon wants to sell it themselves here in Middle East and that was more than 8 months ago if not more, so currently NO one is selling it...not even amazon itself...how about that for great corporate planning!
the only issue I have with Noon is that they are very very bad pay masters (isnt that the case with all local owned companies regardless?!)

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 19th 2019 4:47 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12638713)

yeh. I kind of agree. I only buy from sellers if they host the stock in a Souq warehouse.

I buy from Souq at least weekly. I get loads of shit from their 'supermarket' because the deals are very good.
You're right though, only buy from dod whatever and anything fulfilled by souq.

TGFKASE Feb 19th 2019 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12639133)
I buy from Souq at least weekly. I get loads of shit from their 'supermarket' because the deals are very good.
You're right though, only buy from dod whatever and anything fulfilled by souq.

Even the Fulfilled by Souq stuff can be dodgy.

Bought an item last week, supposed to be New in Box. Opened box, clearly used. Then realised that the damn thing didnt work, and also realised that the box had previously been returned.

Ive bought 4 items now on Souq, 2 returned, both returns with a little note you could only find if you dig into it pointing out this has already been identified as faulty to Souq.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 19th 2019 9:31 am

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 12639169)
Even the Fulfilled by Souq stuff can be dodgy.

Bought an item last week, supposed to be New in Box. Opened box, clearly used. Then realised that the damn thing didnt work, and also realised that the box had previously been returned.

Ive bought 4 items now on Souq, 2 returned, both returns with a little note you could only find if you dig into it pointing out this has already been identified as faulty to Souq.

Yeah. Stick to bog roll, cleaning products and the deodorant offers like me.

Buying anything more than that is a risk in lots of cases.

Millhouse Feb 19th 2019 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12639230)
Yeah. Stick to bog roll, cleaning products and the deodorant offers like me.

Buying anything more than that is a risk in lots of cases.

for me it’s DOD phones, TVs and protein bars. Oh and I got a hoover this week.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 19th 2019 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12639243)
Oh and I got a hoover this week.

Can I take a guess? You needed a new hoover because the new maid broke the old one? We've been through a few thanks to maids. "Sorry sir, it overheated and then wouldn't turn on".

Millhouse Feb 19th 2019 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12639262)
Can I take a guess? You needed a new hoover because the new maid broke the old one? We've been through a few thanks to maids. "Sorry sir, it overheated and then wouldn't turn on".

not quite, maid3 is gentle - we have an upright one which was too heavy for her. We also have a drag along one that the old cleaner brought once as she didn’t get along with the upright but that already came half broken.

I had a Sri Lankan once who would break everything.

BEVS Feb 19th 2019 7:43 pm

Re: Amazon says no to Souk.com II

Note:
Previous thread on this should have auto-closed aeons ago but did not.
As I will be manually going through to ensure all is in order & placing a tech ticket for why this did not happen, I have split the new posts on this into a thread of their own.

You'll find the old one here

Thanks
M