Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

amazed none of you have picked up on this...

amazed none of you have picked up on this...

Old Sep 14th 2012, 11:02 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: amazed none of you have picked up on this...

Why?
Old Sep 15th 2012, 4:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alexa
I do not think anybody should be photographed without their consent. Period.
Interesting point.......

A number of countries (presumably not including France) have a simple but effective law that would cover such a situation: everybody - from royalty to the masses - owns the copyright to his/her own image. Automatically. By default. Free of charge.

For 99-pct-plus situations, it makes no difference to anybody, but it would of course have made this situation far less likely to happen.
Old Sep 15th 2012, 5:26 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Interesting point.......

A number of countries (presumably not including France) have a simple but effective law that would cover such a situation: everybody - from royalty to the masses - owns the copyright to his/her own image. Automatically. By default. Free of charge.

For 99-pct-plus situations, it makes no difference to anybody, but it would of course have made this situation far less likely to happen.
That won't work.

The French solution of not being able to photograph people in private is the best approach, followed up by minimum fines of £1m plus, and jail time for the paparazzi scum that took it. That would stop anyone from publishing them.

The solution of you owning the picture if you're in it would make stock photography of places like Times Square, Oxford Street, and hell, even The Walk impossible to use in print because there's no way you can get everyone's permission.
Old Sep 15th 2012, 7:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
That won't work.

The French solution of not being able to photograph people in private is the best approach, followed up by minimum fines of £1m plus, and jail time for the paparazzi scum that took it. That would stop anyone from publishing them.

The solution of you owning the picture if you're in it would make stock photography of places like Times Square, Oxford Street, and hell, even The Walk impossible to use in print because there's no way you can get everyone's permission.
Wouldn't need anyone's 'permission' - it just means you have to be careful what you publish........... if you are sure it's not offensive, go ahead and publish (if they sue, they will have to prove how/why it was an unreasonable use of their image).

It works well in many countries - very few 'invasion of privacy lawsuits'.
Old Sep 15th 2012, 5:46 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by al dente
Can you imagine thinking that someone is looking at you all the time no matter where you are, even when you can't see them? Enough to make you paranoid.

The photographer is a sleeze and the editor is worse.
Yes I can. I used to be religious once...

N.
Old Sep 15th 2012, 7:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Yes I can. I used to be religious once...

N.
On the contrary, every time I stub my toe I invoke the name of the Lord....( and worse....)
Old Sep 16th 2012, 4:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

It makes me laugh, beacuse when you see news reports about the mega fat ****ers in the UK, the heads are all out of the picture....assume this is to protect identity and save any red faces.

Yet...you can snap away at a person's waps and print them all you like.

Seems a little upside down to me.